Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 06:47 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,645,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Agreed with John and Victor. ETA: I personally find bars not the greatest place to find "marriage-minded" females; I don't use them for dating purposes.

Also: keep in mind, that bars don't exactly have background checks either, right?
Heck no! I don't even want to tell you where that gal was sitting when she wanted me to knock her boyfriend around! The person on the stage uses a POLE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 06:48 PM

138 posts, read 360,222 times
I heard that 1 in 5 relationships start online now Thats ****ed

Old 02-22-2011, 06:49 PM

326 posts, read 813,758 times
pretty much

Old 02-22-2011, 06:56 PM

Do you think it was the OCC hoodie, HD Screamin' Eagle hat, riding boots and the guys I was sitting with? lmao Haha

Old 02-22-2011, 07:03 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,477 times
I was talking to a friend about this only yesterday! I was telling her of the success stories of people I know who met online.

She is 25 and more interested in meeting a man the “old fashioned wayâ€, i.e., going out to a bar.

Personally, I can’t stand the bar scene. It’s depressing. In my experience, men are only there to get laid. You’re not at a bar at 11pm to meet a nice lady to take out to dinner, sorry.

Making small talk with guys who you are not interested in in bars is horrible. They approach you and you can’t escape them. You’re there, he’s there, you’re both going to cross each other’s paths no matter what.

And meeting through friends is all well and good but when you’re looking, I mean really looking for someone, and you get all dolled up every weekend for every single party you’re invited to only to find there are ZERO potential partners for you, I’m sure that could make a person very dejected.

Plus when you reach a certain age, most of your friends are wives, husbands, fathers and mothers who don't hold parties anymore. What would you prefer - sitting at home on your computer alone, or drinking at a bar alone?

Online, you can weed out the guys you don’t want. Pick and choose without having to hurt anyone’s feelings. You don’t need to “wonder†if he wants kids, smokes or likes romantic movies – it’s all there in his profile!

If I were single and looking for a companion, online would be the first (and hopefully only) place I’d look.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I was talking to a friend about this only yesterday! I was telling her of the success stories of people I know who met online.

She is 25 and more interested in meeting a man the “old fashioned wayâ€, i.e., going out to a bar.

Personally, I can’t stand the bar scene. It’s depressing. In my experience, men are only there to get laid. You’re not at a bar at 11pm to meet a nice lady to take out to dinner, sorry.

And meeting through friends is all well and good but when you’re looking, I mean really looking for someone, and you get all dolled up every weekend for every single party you’re invited to only to find there are ZERO potential partners for you, wouldn’t you become a little dejected?

Making small talk with guys who you are not interested in in bars is horrible. They approach you and you can’t escape them. You’re there, he’s there, you’re both going to cross each other’s paths no matter what.

Online, you can weed out the guys you don’t want. Pick and choose without having to hurt anyone’s feelings. You don’t need to “wonder†if he wants kids, smokes or likes romantic movies – it’s all there in his profile!

If I were single and looking for a companion, online would be the first (and hopefully only) place I’d look.
Well, any place but the bar is better! It was always hard to find a WOMAN in the place who wasn't with someone. If she wasn't, she flew the frequent flier miles in most cases! I'll go to hear some jams but NOT for that!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:12 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bad-John View Post
I'll go to hear some jams but NOT for that!
Haha glad to hear it BBJ!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Haha glad to hear it BBJ!
Haha, my Sis would kill me if I did any different!

Old 09-19-2011, 04:58 AM

96 posts, read 288,836 times
Best place to meet someone in my opinion is through your hobby, join a club, church. You wont be getting laid and you will see them again so have time to build up chemistry, and you already have common interests.

Or approach someone in the day at the grocery store or where ever, just start chatting to someone.

Then its online dating, when i got fed up with bars and clubs, the amount of times i went to bars when i was younger and i hoped i might meet someone.. Id get approached by dudes who just wanted to get laid. I came to the conclusion that its hard to meet any one genuine in a bar. If I hadnt met my Hubby on the beach, I would be doing the internet thing. Yes theres loads of guys that just want to get laid, but there seems to be alot of genuine ones as well. I used to get over 100 messages a day from guys, so there was more to choose from! Whereas in a bar your stuck with the odd one or two guys who come and approach you- and like I said they usually only want to get laid- and theres no time to build the chemistry up.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:53 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I was dating women off the internet 12 years ago. I did not use the personals so to say, but I did abuse them. Once a woman opens a personal ad they are flooded with hundreds of emails a day, very few are ever replied to. I used AOL, looked for women within 20 miles of me. I added them to my instant message list. When I seen they were online I instant messaged them and started a chat. Not a single woman refused to chat. I chatted with them and within 20 minutes I would tell them I wanted to meet up and serve their needs. Every single woman asked for my phone number, called me up immediately to arrange a meet up. I had women running out of my ears. I usually met up at Starbucks. Often after the store had closed.
I used the exact same method to meet chicks in the late 1990s. I was just in high school then, but thanks to AOL I was pulling six times the tail of any of my buddies.

Back then, you had to be savvy and ahead of your time to utilize the Internet to its full potential, especially where getting laid was concerned. Now, thanks to the proliferation of free dating sites like OKC and POF, the dating pool online is saturated with the same idiot dudes you used to see at the bars.

No worries though. If you're bringing anything at all to the table besides a creepy stare and an overly-forward line, you're already ahead of 98% of your competition.

I still miss the "old days" of Internet dating, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships