Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:58 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I should have flushed out the story at little better. The reason it was about gender is because the horrible old neighbor made it that way when he related it to me. He told me, bragging, that he and his buddies laughed at her while she struggled, all night to put sand bags out and that they refused to help her. He made disparaging remarks about her being "a woman in distress." It was infuriating. I have never heard such hatred. And it was not just him but his other neighbors who slighted her. She ended up losing everything and he thought that was funny. He has contempt for women and no qualms about sharing his sentiments.
So he sounds like an a$$hole.

There are some men who are shallow and mean.
There are some women who are shallow and mean.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:59 PM
SB4

46 posts, read 49,887 times
Quote:
I should have flushed out the story at little better. The reason it was about gender is because the horrible old neighbor made it that way when he related it to me. He told me, bragging, that he and his buddies laughed at her while she struggled, all night to put sand bags out and that they refused to help her. He made disparaging remarks about her being "a woman in distress." It was infuriating. I have never heard such hatred. And it was not just him but his other neighbors who slighted her. She ended up losing everything and he thought that was funny. He has contempt for women and no qualms about sharing his sentiments.
I think this guy is just a dick. I'm not going to sit here and say I'm the least shallow person in the world, I might be far from it infact, but I wouldn't laugh at anyone's misfortune however they may look.

Edit - And I'll add that in a case like this, it sounds like it doesn't have much to do with gender.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:59 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
To the men who think they are not shallow: Would you help a fat, ugly woman in distress? Be real.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:01 PM
SB4

Quote:
To the men who think they are not shallow: Would you help a fat, ugly woman in distress? Be real.
I'm gona admit that I might be slower to do this, however hard that is to admit. But I wouldn't laugh at their distress.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:

Actually, I know two 20-somethings who have and would do so again - my sons. But they aren't so unique, they have awesome friends that I know would behave the same way - like the good guys they are.

Like I said in an earlier post - some of you young women need to ditch the sucky attitudes because they will invade your entire thought process and cause you to put off a vibe that will repel men, especially the good ones you would really rather attract.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:15 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,645,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
I'm in my early 20's right now and I have to deal with men who come across as being EXTREMELY shallow. I am tired of it. Since when do I only get respect if my hair is straightened, my clothes are tight fitted and my face is well-rested. The other day, I was trying to dig my car out of the parking lot since it happened to be covered with snow. Another young woman, who was very attractive, was doing the same thing-digging her car out. A man who happens to work with maintence at the apartment walked right up to her and asked her if she was okay and if she needed assistance. Here I am, eyes watery from the brisk cold, hair frizzy, wearing a puffy coat digging my car out with desperation before it got towed.

This isn't the only scenario.
When I do have tight fitted clothing, maintained hair and so forth, I get many more guys saying hello to me, holding the door for me and smiling at me.

Some won't even engage in a conversation based on how I look that day. It must be my generation. What a pity.
Not me Mam. I'm a pretty decent looking guy, and when I get off work look like I just crawled out of the dump. I look like hell many days. I know how you feel when someone snubs you for it. The same ones who do it are the ones who payed me to get that way. I just let it roll off and when I'm cleaned up they can kiss my a** just the same!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 PM

324 posts, read 572,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB4 View Post
I'm gona admit that I might be slower to do this, however hard that is to admit. But I wouldn't laugh at their distress.

ABSOLUTELY DISPICABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You might be "Slower" to do it?? You might be "slower" to do it! Honestly.. Really?

No. Thanks for ruining any positive opinions I had about men.

Any person who was in distress I would try to comfort. ANY. Humans are humans to me. Sure, I see race, I see gender, I see physical traits but like I said, we are all human.. we all relate in some way, shape or form.

I wish men could see this.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:48 PM

324 posts, read 572,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually, I know two 20-somethings who have and would do so again - my sons. But they aren't so unique, they have awesome friends that I know would behave the same way - like the good guys they are.

Like I said in an earlier post - some of you young women need to ditch the sucky attitudes because they will invade your entire thought process and cause you to put off a vibe that will repel men, especially the good ones you would really rather attract.

I wasn't going to say this before, but you seem somewhat naive.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:57 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,645,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
ABSOLUTELY DISPICABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You might be "Slower" to do it?? You might be "slower" to do it! Honestly.. Really?

No. Thanks for ruining any positive opinions I had about men.

Any person who was in distress I would try to comfort. ANY. Humans are humans to me. Sure, I see race, I see gender, I see physical traits but like I said, we are all human.. we all relate in some way, shape or form.

I wish men could see this.
We see it. We still help the people who don't appreciate it as well. That reminds me of the Dog Kicking Thread. Who are these men? Sometimes we come in the night out of the darkness when you least expect it. The others will just drive on by.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:24 AM
SB4

What I said about being "slower" came out kinda wrong. I will say this, a good 80-90% of men will be a thousand times more helpful to a woman they find attractive, period. And it's not deliberate, it's completely subconscious.
I see myself as being less shallow than the average person I know, but then again with the people I grew up with, that might not be saying much.
Don't let me ruin your opinion of men, but do let me ruin your opinion of 80-90% of men, cause that's just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships