Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:31 PM

545 posts, read 1,555,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
I'm not shallow at all. I really am not. If a man is nice to me, I'll be nice to them-regardless of how they look. If they had no nose and teeth, I'd still talk to them. I might not necessarily find them physically attractive but I will treat them the same as someone who I do find physically attractive.
No offense, but you must be ugly. Because if you have choices then you'd obviously choose the hotter guy.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:42 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,385,976 times
It's your generation and it is NOT just men who are shallow. My students are doctoral students and in their early 20's... so they are generally smarter than the norm and more achievement-oriented. Their shallowness quotient is lower than the average, but they still care more about Facebook than doing something "serious."

I would suggest you look to yourself. Anyone painting men with a black brush to this extent might have some issues.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:52 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,322,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
I'll assume you're joking because you couldn't possibly think that a negative response to such statement would indeed be a clear indicator of shallowness on a man's part.

Or could you ?
Yes, I am joking. I don't care enough to get upset. I posted my opinion and how I would handle the situation.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:58 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,046,451 times
Quote:
I wasn't going to say this before, but you seem somewhat naive.
ain't nobody dope as me I'm just so fresh so clean

<whistles and trots out of the thread>

Old 02-23-2011, 01:22 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
I love the irony of the OP's premise. She paints an entire gender as shallow, never realizing that doing so makes her shallow herself.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:22 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,082,393 times
Pretty people get more attention than lesser attractive people, period. All through life. Sometimes it's blatantly obvious, like when I walked into a big box hardware store looking for the nail isle and a real pretty girl at the first checkout said "We sell nails?" I then noticed looking down the register row that it seemed an entire cheer leading squad was on register. I then made a comment "You can tell a guy does the hiring here!" and she pointed to the crows nest where this middle aged balding midget was hold court. And I could picture the letch up there j---in o--. Pretty people get hired over you, they get out of traffic tickets, they get offered seats more, you just don't see that many NBA players, baseball players, or even little runt Nascar drivers with homely wives, do yah? But you do see homely NBA players, homely baseball players, and little sawed off runt Nascar drivers with GORGEOUS wives ALL THE TIME, so whose shallow?

Old 02-23-2011, 01:26 PM

324 posts, read 572,403 times
Moderator, shut this thread DOWN. I asked a simple, idiotic question. Now people are trying to give me some type of psychiatric session. Give me a break.

Thread is NOW closed.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:29 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,492 times
Bennie,

When you grow up you will realize men are not shallow through everyone's eye's, that possibly, it is only your eye sight that needs attention. At your age, young people just don't have all that many life experiences, so sometimes their opinions are quite slanted. Now days young people also seem to have an entitlement attitude. I would think when it comes to helping someone out of a snow bank we can still pick and choose who we help. In my opinion, tight clothes make you look cheap, not at all someone I would approach...

Old 02-23-2011, 01:31 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,492 times
Default Does the shallowness within men decline with age? Reply to Thread

Quote:
I'm in my early 20's right now and I have to deal with men who come across as being EXTREMELY shallow. I am tired of it. Since when do I only get respect if my hair is straightened, my clothes are tight fitted and my face is well-rested. The other day, I was trying to dig my car out of the parking lot since it happened to be covered with snow. Another young woman, who was very attractive, was doing the same thing-digging her car out. A man who happens to work with maintence at the apartment walked right up to her and asked her if she was okay and if she needed assistance. Here I am, eyes watery from the brisk cold, hair frizzy, wearing a puffy coat digging my car out with desperation before it got towed.

This isn't the only scenario.
When I do have tight fitted clothing, maintained hair and so forth, I get many more guys saying hello to me, holding the door for me and smiling at me.

Some won't even engage in a conversation based on how I look that day. It must be my generation. What a pity.
Just so you know... It is probably not your generation, it is probably your attitude.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:00 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,795,927 times
Quote:
Moderator, shut this thread DOWN. I asked a simple, idiotic question. Now people are trying to give me some type of psychiatric session. Give me a break.

Thread is NOW closed.
Crazy huh. Throw a question onto a public forum and everyone has something to say.

The nerve of some posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships