Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:58 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,907,520 times

Advertisements

...it seems there are certain rules to follow. I went on a date with a girl on Tuesday, we talked for like 3 hours straight and had a great time. She texts me the next day saying she had a great time would talk to me soon and wanted to do it again. So on Sunday, like 5 days later, I ask her out to dinner again "sometime this week" and she doesn't respond to me.

Is this asking too soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 06:08 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
...it seems there are certain rules to follow. I went on a date with a girl on Tuesday, we talked for like 3 hours straight and had a great time. She texts me the next day saying she had a great time would talk to me soon and wanted to do it again. So on Sunday, like 5 days later, I ask her out to dinner again "sometime this week" and she doesn't respond to me.

Is this asking too soon?
So, you mean you waited FIVE days to contact her after she told you she wanted to see you again?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
So, you mean you waited FIVE days to contact her after she told you she wanted to see you again?
This is my point. I am 5 months out of college and have no idea/am kind of sick of these dating games and tricks. I have no idea how these work. My first date in the area I waited 2 days, I was told that was too soon. Then I waited 5 days apparently that's not good. So I'm pretty lost. Now I know why so many people opt to be single. This archaic traditional courting crap is dumb

Old 02-28-2011, 06:20 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
This is my point. I am 5 months out of college and have no idea/am kind of sick of these dating games and tricks. I have no idea how these work. My first date in the area I waited 2 days, I was told that was too soon. Then I waited 5 days apparently that's not good. So I'm pretty lost. Now I know why so many people opt to be single. This archaic traditional courting crap is dumb
Your mistake is thinking that there ARE such silly rules and tricks. There aren't. Honestly. I can't imagine why you would wait to talk to her again. Did you like her? Did you WANT to talk to her again? Then LORD dude....you should have called her. Nothing but simple common sense. Listen to your gut. Anyone 5 months out of college should know better.

By the way, what was your major?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:20 PM

946 posts, read 2,919,910 times
You're the first one playing games with this girl (waiting 5 days to contact her) and you're getting upset that one day has passed and she hasn't replied yet? Come on...
Just be yourself, if some girl is going to write you off for asking too soon, she's not someone you want to be with anyway.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:22 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,204,472 times
Dude. It's not a game. It's basic courtesy. Let's recap:

1) You had a great date.
2) She texted you the next day, saying she had a great time. In other words, she put herself out on a limb by telling you that.
3) You rewarded her for her candor by letting her hang, twisting in the wind, for five long days. You disrespected her. I mean, after receiving that text, how hard would it have been to call?

First thing's first: You know all those stupid dating rules in college, the ones such as "Don't call her for two days after the date"? Flush every single one of them, because they are the sad, juvenile crap you learned at Beta Alpha Episilon, the collected misguided wisdom of a bunch of manboys masquerading as cool guys. Trust me, a bunch of fraternity guys don't know squat about women. Because the only thing cool in the world of dating is respecting the person you're with--and being respected in return.

Why? Because you are now an adult. That means you are an individual, not some college boy trying to save face among your friends. Likewise, the girl you're going out with is an individual. That means each of you should be treated like individuals, with feelings and vulnerabilities and all the other stuff that you didn't learn while playing Doom six hours a day.

So send flowers. Tell her you're sorry that you're such an oaf. Tell her that you got jammed up at work, and that you meant to call her back. Because she deserves as much.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:28 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,318,215 times
I agree with the posters who are telling you to ditch any rules or game playing that you have done in the past. As a young woman, if I texted you after a date and told you I would like to do it again, that would be huge. It would be my way of letting you know that I felt a connection with you...it would be a win for you. You must have done everything right for her to contact you and be so open about how she felt. Tell her the truth...tell her you want to see her again too. Next time realize that when a woman responds as she did, it means she is very interested, and you do not need to wait or worry. Go for it next time.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:33 PM

59 posts, read 104,583 times
Makes me wonder if you were interested in her or not to wait practically a week to call her. Are you shy, or just not that into her?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 PM

19,735 posts, read 20,289,108 times
Problem is, you contacted her on SUNDAY, after the weekend is over...a girl's always got her hopes up for a friday/saturday night date.

You left her high & dry buddy!

Thumbs down for you.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Your mistake is thinking that there ARE such silly rules and tricks. There aren't. Honestly. I can't imagine why you would wait to talk to her again. Did you like her? Did you WANT to talk to her again? Then LORD dude....you should have called her. Nothing but simple common sense. Listen to your gut. Anyone 5 months out of college should know better.

By the way, what was your major?
Undergrad: Finance and Spanish
Graduate: Accounting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships