Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:41 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,588,522 times

Advertisements

As a male, I guess I direct this more toward women. But realize that there are some men not interested.

Maybe it is as simple as their partners. But once in a while I'll read that someone doesn't care if they only have sex a few times per year. I don't understand this. It feels good, especially physically, but emotionally also.

What is it about it that some people don't like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 04:53 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,319,763 times
It seems to be related to whatever experiences the person has had. For instance, if someone has been sexually abused or raped then sex might be unpleasant for obvious reasons. Also, if a woman's experiences have been with a man that was not loving and gentle the first time, she might not know how to enjoy it. Sex needs to be done right to be enjoyed...there is no one right way...but roughness with a young woman on her first time is never the right way. As far as men, it seems like many of them have performance anxiety, and this could make sex a worry more than a pleasure.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:58 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,094,497 times
I'll take a stab at your question.

I've been on both sides of the coin here. I went through a period where if I never had sex again, it was fine by me. It lasted about 3-4 years and just recently (in the last 6 months) has that changed.

I had no drive. When you have no sex drive it's VERY hard to get into it and find it stimulating. The sensations are deadened and while it's not painful or uncomfortable, it's not pleasureable either so I always had the take-it or leave-it attitude about sex. Now, factor in that it can be messy and sweaty and that killed the appeal of sex all together. It wasn't worth the effort.

Fast forward to now...today I'm pouting and sulking because I was sure I'd get sex this morning and got the ball rolling, then it didn't happen!

Old 12-07-2010, 05:19 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,641,230 times
There are also religious restrictions, if that falls under the category of "not liking". For some extremists that would make sex look about as appealing as an enema.

Psychological / emotional trauma, as has been mentioned, might also lead to this conclusion.

Some people have decided for whatever reason that they don't want / need sex. Not sure if that qualifies as "not liking", though...I would think it's fairly close.

Medical conditions - many can lead to loss of desire.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:33 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,870,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFOR View Post
As a male, I guess I direct this more toward women. But realize that there are some men not interested.

Maybe it is as simple as their partners. But once in a while I'll read that someone doesn't care if they only have sex a few times per year. I don't understand this. It feels good, especially physically, but emotionally also.

Because womens hormones tend to have a lot of ups and downs. Right after childbirth for example they can take a plunge that takes some time to get over. Also as Georgian explained experience can have something to do with it. Men generally don't read into signals and are not always concerned if their female partner gets off. So if you have a mate like that then of course you would take it or leave it.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:52 AM

820 posts, read 2,871,023 times
I think the posters are hitting the nail on the head here... for many people it's not "not liking sex", but it's just not the right time. This can be due to exhaustion, lack of interest in their partner, etc. There was a time in my life where I was celibate for many many years. This wasn't because I didn't like sex, but because I didn't want a relationship (the only way I would have had sex) and had other things on my plate I wanted to attend to. Once I decided I was ready for a relationship, sex was an important part of that.

I'm sure there are some people that truly don't enjoy sex because of past experiences, pain, etc. For many of us though, we may very well love sex... it's just about timing, feeling "inspired", and appreciating one another.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:01 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,870,134 times
Quote:

And to be honest there are a lot of men not interested either.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:06 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,391,006 times
Some persons have a low sex drive. Others are asexual (which i don't understand, but there you go, not everybody understands everything). Others still don't value sex for religious reasons.

whilst sexual feelings/drive are normal, i think our society/pop culture pushes forward the need to be on the hunt for sex. I wouldn't consider somebody weird for not pursuing it, they simply have other ends in life. I think that people are different in the end.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:28 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,510,048 times
Quote:

I don't know--I am a female and I like it in a committed relationship.

Some people use it as a means of control I suppose. Some people are out of their minds in many ways.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:01 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,821,551 times
I have a high sex drive, so going as long as I have without is about to do me in! I'm just not one to sleep around, so... AAAAAARGH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships