Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 02:26 PM

81 posts, read 197,196 times

Advertisements

From USCIS Home Page (http://uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/repsstudies/mobappa.htm - broken link)

"According to data supplied by the U.S. Census Bureau, there were
2,395,000 marriages in the U.S. in the 12 months ending June, 1997 (and
1,154,000 divorces in the same period). The 4,000 to 6,000 marriages
involving international services represent, then, a tiny portion (.021
percent) of the women who marry U.S. men.

It is interesting to note that, based largely on data provided by the
agencies themselves (along with the Commission on Filipinos Overseas
report cited above), marriages arranged through these services would
appear to have a much lower divorce rate than the nation as a whole,
fully 80 percent of these marriages having lasted over the years for
which reports are available."

The divorce rate for American men who marry American women: 57%
(officially). But since the figures from several states (including
California) are excluded, the true national divorce rate is likely
closer to 65%. The divorce rate in California is over 70%.

The divorce rate for American men who marry foreign women: approximately
20%.

So you can marry an American woman and have a close to two-thirds chance
of getting divorced, or you can marry a foreign woman and have at least
a 75% chance of success.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:33 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,617,514 times
That's an interesting fact I wasn't aware of. I do have a few Filipino friends including a coworker who was born there and moved to the US years ago but ended up bringing his new wife back from his home area. They seem to be much more traditional and family oriented than many Americans are. I think this could be said of many Asian nations and it could be the reason that divorces are less common.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:36 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
The divorce rate is nowhere near 57%. It's closer to 35%.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The divorce rate is nowhere near 57%. It's closer to 35%.

Yeah those census numbers must be incorrect You should moderate them!

Old 03-10-2011, 02:39 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,556,392 times
What about American women who marry foreign men?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:41 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,695,890 times
I don't think 57% is exponentially higher than 20%.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:41 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
Yeah those census numbers must be incorrect You should moderate them!
Here's the error in a nutshell.

In 2010, 100 people got married.
In 2010, 65 people got divorced.
Conclusion: The divorce rate is 65%.

Except it's not. Most of those 65 people did not marry in 2010, so you're not comparing the same groups.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:00 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,279 times
Lightbulb Julia...Why Are You Even Buying Into That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Here's the error in a nutshell.

In 2010, 100 people got married.
In 2010, 65 people got divorced.
Conclusion: The divorce rate is 65%.

Except it's not. Most of those 65 people did not marry in 2010, so you're not comparing the same groups.
I really wish people would stop with all this whininess about 'boo-hoo-hoo...American women are so mean! I'm gonna get me a nice passive foreign woman who refills my Cheerios when they get soggy!'

I've got a theory---like to hear it? Here it is...

All this American vs foreign born women boola-boola is the result of SOME of these guys (yeah I said SOME...the majority probably ain't like this) finding out that American women aren't taking any of their post-adolescent crapola, domestic violence, and 'me tarzan you Jane stay home and make babies and cook for Tarzan' BS, and are telling them to make like a walking stick and hit the bricks...

And this is no slight to foreign born women either...please don't take it as such...but it gets monotonous all the time, with this 'I'm gonna get me a foreign girl...you Western/American women are a bunch of ball-breaking, gold digging, loud-mouthed beeyotches who won't say how high when I say jump!'

How about a little truth...either your game is weaker than Charmin in a monsoon, and you need to step it up...or (gasp!) quit TRYING to run games and actually treat a woman with some dignity and respect...maybe then you won't be running across the ocean with your tails between your legs and your d***s slung over your shoulders, looking for some shrinking violet who's gonna kiss your a** 24/7 and not question anything you do...

When I knew, back in the day, that I either needed to make a better me, or spend a lot of time getting personal with my right hand, guess which one I chose? It's not that hard, and all American women aren't the daughters of Cruella DeVille

Old 03-10-2011, 03:01 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,264 times
What are the reasons ?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I really wish people would stop with all this whininess about 'boo-hoo-hoo...American women are so mean! I'm gonna get me a nice passive foreign woman who refills my Cheerios when they get soggy!'

I've got a theory---like to hear it? Here it is...

All this American vs foreign born women boola-boola is the result of SOME of these guys (yeah I said SOME...the majority probably ain't like this) finding out that American women aren't taking any of their post-adolescent crapola, domestic violence, and 'me tarzan you Jane stay home and make babies and cook for Tarzan' BS, and are telling them to make like a walking stick and hit the bricks...

And this is no slight to foreign born women either...please don't take it as such...but it gets monotonous all the time, with this 'I'm gonna get me a foreign girl...you Western/American women are a bunch of ball-breaking, gold digging, loud-mouthed beeyotches who won't say how high when I say jump!'

How about a little truth...either your game is weaker than Charmin in a monsoon, and you need to step it up...or (gasp!) quit TRYING to run games and actually treat a woman with some dignity and respect...maybe then you won't be running across the ocean with your tails between your legs and your d***s slung over your shoulders, looking for some shrinking violet who's gonna kiss your a** 24/7 and not question anything you do...

When I knew, back in the day, that I either needed to make a better me, or spend a lot of time getting personal with my right hand, guess which one I chose? It's not that hard, and all American women aren't the daughters of Cruella DeVille

Fascinating.. Tell us about yourself.. This should be good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.