Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:47 PM

199 posts, read 491,908 times

Advertisements

This is the second time that I have noticed this happening to me. Sometimes one person in the group would kind of completely ignore the crap out of you. By this I mean that they wont even look towards you when they talk and when you talk their body is always facing away from you and they don't respond when everyone else in the group is doing it. They respond with their feed backs and look at everyone else normally but when your talking its like they completely ignore you. I personally think its rude and disrespectful. Are they doing that because they have something against you or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 07:35 AM

90 posts, read 322,063 times
With an understanding of group dynamics, this person's behavior wasn't so erratic. There are vast insecurities, great defensiveness, along with superiority and a 'narrowing of the field' (holding one's body in a protective fashion) to limit vulnerability. And there is storming, norming, and performing (finding the power, creating rules, and getting to the business at hand). Some of your best answers include reflection (I heard you say... is that right) and clarification (tell me more about that). Loosen up and try to enjoy them. There are many dynamic moves in groups, some quick, some subtle, but always changing.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:39 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,932,533 times
i think it means they just havent accepted you yet. So you have to get more familiar with them before they do. However i would agree that the person is pretty rude.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:40 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,329,960 times
They don't like you!!

Old 03-12-2011, 10:46 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,408,109 times
It doesn't mean they don't like you. You are important enough to them to dislike, it's easier (and more of a putdown) to ignore you.

It's much more likely the person dominating the group has control issues and is used to being the center of the stage. They have a large ego. In every situation in life, there are leaders and followers. If you don't want to lead the group or contribute to it in a massive way, don't be offended if you are ignored. That's pretty much the norm in group dynamics in school and work.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:07 AM

610 posts, read 1,297,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWasWritten View Post
This is the second time that I have noticed this happening to me. Sometimes one person in the group would kind of completely ignore the crap out of you. By this I mean that they wont even look towards you when they talk and when you talk their body is always facing away from you and they don't respond when everyone else in the group is doing it. They respond with their feed backs and look at everyone else normally but when your talking its like they completely ignore you. I personally think its rude and disrespectful. Are they doing that because they have something against you or what?
I always find myself ignored in the beginning of a project with a new group.
But i always work my way up, and if the project is any longer than a week or two I'm usually not much short of running the thing when we're half-way through.

Because they are forced together with me they don't get to dismiss me as fast as people in a club, and once they see what I have to contribute with their attitude towards me usually change.

I suppose I'm very bad at first impressions. But it's really about showing you're worth your salt.

The only thing I still have problems with in school-groups is when a member of it is only trying to glide through, although I can manipulate a group meeting into forcing stuff up on their personal tables it is very hard to trust them with things that I'd like to expect any level of quality from. So there is risk involved because even if I can stair things in a direction it can backfire by for example ending up giving complicated aspects of the work that the rest of the group is unwilling to do on the shoulders of a lazy and less bright member.

The point is you have to show your worth, but not be too forward for the other group members comfort. and also have a good sense for what the others want. It's really a lot of politics where you may have to agree to a certain members point to get his sympathies for one of your own ideas or run over someone early on to make other group members consider that person less off a leader etc. Another things is the quiet people who usually sit in corners, etc, these can be used to get what I call a conveying vote; by making a quick argument and asking for their opinion, which will then usually be an agreement it will give the others a signal that the group is going in a certain direction, and well humans do live in villages and cities for a reason, we're flock animals and will usually follow.

Fact is many will frown upon this, but my point of view on group dynamics is to always consider myself, my ideas and my skills superior to my equals, and it usually ends up giving me leadership, because if you're sure enough on what you say when you bring it to the table, people will listen, and backed up with good arguments people will also agree.

An important thing is to always be one of the performers in the group; you can not demand high quality from your group-mates unless your own work is among the best if not the best in the group.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:34 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,858,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWasWritten View Post
Yeah I had a really crappy experience with a group project just now. I felt left out of the whole thing and I'll never work in a group again. Most recently I was in a group project in school that I was assigned for. Two of our members skipped this class for two weeks and my other partner spent half the time of class-time we were given to work on it, sending them a message of what needed to be done. I did the introduction that was supposed to be done by the four of us, myself and all she did was change everything.

Then these guys get back to class and all of a sudden it's their group and not mine. They would ask about work/school schedules for meeting up without even asking about mine and then they scheduled the interview we were supposed to do with some people, on a day I had to work and couldn't get out of it. I had very little to work with and I was so mad.

My teacher wanted the class to submit essays about how the project went, and I hope I didn't sound like a nagging ***** writing it, but I felt it needed to be said so I told her everything and that I'm never doing a group project again. It's stupid, you know? In the real world you have to earn your way into a group. Not in college!

Of course I remember at the beginning of the semester in another class the teacher kept grouping her class together for stupid crap and I kept ending up in a group with a girl I couldn't stand because she'd ignore me and the last straw for me in that class was when a big guy plain sat with his back to me completely and I guess I was just supposed to look over his shoulder to see what we were doing? Of course I just got mad and did my own thing. After that class I started sitting on the other side of the room so as to avoid being grouped with them ever again. Interestingly this teacher has not grouped her class up since...

Old 03-13-2011, 11:56 AM

1,706 posts, read 3,318,672 times
So, to the OP, have we given you enough to address your concerns? What else is there about this issue that may be perplexing?

Old 03-13-2011, 12:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,744,773 times
It happens in work groups too.

What it is is that the other person sees you as a challenger to their perceived or actual position as group leader.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:14 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,954,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post

Yeah I had a really crappy experience with a group project just now. I felt left out of the whole thing and I'll never work in a group again. Most recently I was in a group project in school that I was assigned for. Two of our members skipped this class for two weeks and my other partner spent half the time of class-time we were given to work on it, sending them a message of what needed to be done. I did the introduction that was supposed to be done by the four of us, myself and all she did was change everything.

Then these guys get back to class and all of a sudden it's their group and not mine. They would ask about work/school schedules for meeting up without even asking about mine and then they scheduled the interview we were supposed to do with some people, on a day I had to work and couldn't get out of it. I had very little to work with and I was so mad.

My teacher wanted the class to submit essays about how the project went, and I hope I didn't sound like a nagging ***** writing it, but I felt it needed to be said so I told her everything and that I'm never doing a group project again. It's stupid, you know? In the real world you have to earn your way into a group. Not in college!

Of course I remember at the beginning of the semester in another class the teacher kept grouping her class together for stupid crap and I kept ending up in a group with a girl I couldn't stand because she'd ignore me and the last straw for me in that class was when a big guy plain sat with his back to me completely and I guess I was just supposed to look over his shoulder to see what we were doing? Of course I just got mad and did my own thing. After that class I started sitting on the other side of the room so as to avoid being grouped with them ever again. Interestingly this teacher has not grouped her class up since...
Sounds like you have projection, self-image, and anger issues to name but a few. Have you considered therapy? Life doesn't have to be so stressful . . .especially school-life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships