Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:19 PM

172 posts, read 394,503 times

Advertisements

If so, how long did it take to become friends after you broke up? How often do you interact with each other? Who initiated contact? Did either of you feel any jealousy when your ex became romantically involved with someone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 05:23 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Lots of people have.

My experience has been that it's best to wait a while and let time heal up the wounds before you really approach this. If you're meant to be friends, you will be. If you're not, you're not.

I'm still friend with two (sort of three) of my exes. I say sort of three because the third wasn't very involved, but we remain good friends. But none of us could do it right away. Another ex is just someone I consider a toxic person and the last won't talk to ME.

I wouldn't push it. Consider why it is you seem to be really obsessed with having them in your life. It should be organic, not some subconscious effort to not really let go.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:45 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
One ex and I lost communication, actually, I didn’t have any reason to talk to her, besides, things finished pretty bad between us. After a year or two, she started to contact me just to casually say hello. Then she arranged to meet somewhere. We did and she apologized for the things she did (which ended the relationship) and talked about a possible comeback but I refused. She tried and tried for quite a while. I told her straight out that I just didn’t feel that spark anymore. Still, we would go out here and there as friends. She would drop by my office to drop a gift for me, meet me for lunch, etc. My friends would ask me if we would go back but no. Interesting thing is that we would have a great time and all, we know each other quite well. But I just don’t feel like going back.

She is now going out with another guy and things seem pretty formal. Since their relationship became formal she has cut all kinds of communication with me and even deleted me from her list of friends in a social network, ooooh well.

I am in good terms with other girls I had a relationship with.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:02 PM

513 posts, read 897,371 times
yeah with a few. but the psycho ones- no. 2 of my exes actually came to work for us after we broke up. one was there for many years, even trained my wife when she came to work with me.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:27 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Yep. It's possible. Much of it depends on how things ended.

I've got a friend who is an ex. We don't hang out together, but we stay in touch. We pretty much grew up together and never had one of those nasty breakups, yanno?

Even if I wasn't married, I'd never get involved with him again. He's an ex for a reason.

Doesn't mean I don't like to stay in touch, though.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:28 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
The ex and I are now just starting to be able to talk normally with out me being bitter, etc. It's been almost a year and a half.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicegurl View Post
If so, how long did it take to become friends after you broke up? How often do you interact with each other? Who initiated contact? Did either of you feel any jealousy when your ex became romantically involved with someone else?
Well, not best or close friends, but once the dust settles, I tend to reconnect with my Exs and keep in touch with them.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:55 PM

817 posts, read 811,281 times
My policy in life is, once it's over, it's over, and for a good reason, no point in being friends and all that crap again.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:01 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
Never. If something was so wrong as to cause a break up it would mean that we were incompatible as friends.

Some people always seem to be friends with or at least in contact with the majority of their exes. Never understood it... but it works for them.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
My SO is good friends with several of his exes. We joke about it. He tells me about this or that old friend and I ask if she is an ex...automatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships