Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 02:28 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
There are always exceptions like you say. But also, women don’t necessarily dream about being a homemaker, many even complain if the man doesn’t help. For a woman to be the breadwinner she had to set her eyes on a guy from a lower level, which, as women seem to agree, it is just not common. Therefore, a woman as a breadwinner is not your every day thing.

Most women don’t dream of being a homemaker. That’s exactly what I mean by young women today not waiting around for a prince. Instead she is out making her own life. A woman can still be a breadwinner with a man earning equal or higher than her level. Breadwinner homemaker. Although, generally, women breadwinners in a relationship are also responsible for the secondary job of homemaker. If she is working she is a breadwinner. And yes it is a common, everyday thing.

Quote:
If the guy is in a greater financial footing than you know how those divorces normally end. Where the guy will hand the woman half of his stuff which is greater than half of her stuff. And if there are children involved, that’s a bigger paycheck for her. Divorce law being biased against men or not, that’s how it normally goes. And yes yes yes, there are exceptions.

Whoever is on a significant greater financial footing. And that is why working women don’t put themselves in that position. Instead they want both on equal footing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry
Only about 10% of men appear, from a distance, to be good "soul mate" material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
What a ridiculous statistic.
Only for those who are unaware that research has found that women consider 80% of men to be below average in appearance. "From a distance" is the correct way to look at this but of course, if one's experience is mainly in meat markets, they'll seldom encounter these "undesirable" men.

Of course, for many, there is a time that they must settle and they may pick a guy who really doesn't satisfy their cravings or make them forget their prior experiences. They'll do this specifically for the economic disparity.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:43 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Most women don’t dream of being a homemaker
That’s right. There are old fashioned traditions that women wouldn’t do anything to change (you can imagine which ones) but being a homemaker is an old fashioned tradition that women don’t really look forward to being part of.

Quote:
Whoever is on a significant greater financial footing. And that is why working women don’t put themselves in that position. Instead they want both on equal footing
It is NORMALLY men who are in a greater financial footing. You know, the whole thing about women looking for men about their level.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:26 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
People can think what they want to think. I did not go to college, I went into the military service right out of high school. I'm retired now, but while I was working at my own business there were years I made over 200K a year. It takes hard work to do that, and maybe I was 'in the right place at the right time' but I often thought I did pretty well for not having a college education. My wife was working when we got married, and wanted to continue working, I left that up to her, it was her choice to keep working. I have many friends whose wives do not work, and some of them, their wives have never worked.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:59 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
That’s right. There are old fashioned traditions that women wouldn’t do anything to change (you can imagine which ones) but being a homemaker is an old fashioned tradition that women don’t really look forward to being part of.

Being a homemaker is not an old fashioned tradition. People still have homes. Women still do the same domestic chores their mothers and grandmothers did. Most young women today dont just dream of marrying and being a houswife their entire life because there is so much more to dream.

Quote:
It is NORMALLY men who are in a greater financial footing. You know, the whole thing about women looking for men about their level.
Not anymore and the gap is closing. And when it is the women who has the greater financial footing, she hands the man half of her stuff which is more than half of his stuff, whatever the heck that means. Whoever has custody receives supplemental income for the support of the children. When people marrying at their own general financial level this great disparity dosent exist.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:34 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Being a homemaker is not an old fashioned tradition. People still have homes. Women still do the same domestic chores their mothers and grandmothers did
I take care of my house chores regardless of not having other people living with me. I did them since I was a child and lived with my family, visit relatives and stay in their place out of being thankful, and plan to continue doing them if I get married.

It may be old fashioned if these women were married, right?

Quote:
Most young women today dont just dream of marrying and being a houswife their entire life because there is so much more to dream
That is right. It would be a bit limited to dream about just being a housewife considering all the opportunities people have in the USA to study and do more than just thinking of staying home.

Quote:
Not anymore and the gap is closing. And when it is the women who has the greater financial footing, she hands the man half of her stuff which is more than half of his stuff, whatever the heck that means
I am not surprised to see women earning more than men in different fields but when it comes to relationships women, generally speaking, prefer men that are above their level.

But even when women make less, I keep reading here in the forum how women who are married to rich men should have their very own bank account, separate. And I think “Wait a minute. All his fortune is yours but even the grain of salt you bring, is all yours and nothing but yours?” Saw a thread today where a woman is married to a rich man and she is being told to make “her very own money” and so on.

Quote:
Whoever has custody receives supplemental income for the support of the children
And women are the ones who get the custody most of the time. If the father is rich, women get all kinds of money for child support that is way more than just for the kids really. Why is it that your average Joe would send the mother a check for a couple of hundred dollars while a rich man will send the mother a check for a couple of thousand dollars?

Old 04-01-2011, 03:31 PM

859 posts, read 2,829,121 times
Honestly I have heard those kinds of comments from women and I have two things to blame. First is Reality TV that put these unrealistic ideas in womens heads about what life and marriage should be. Second is these romantic movies where the women runs away to find herself or leaves love in fates hands and they magically find their way back to their long lost love and live happily ever after.

Wake up people. Life is not a TV show or Eat Pray Puke. You want a working relationship you have to work for it. The days of some guy whisking you off your feet are over. Welcome to the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships