U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:53 AM

7,303 posts, read 10,347,869 times

Advertisements

Interesting read:

Economic disparity takes toll on marriage | Philadelphia Inquirer | 01/09/2011 (http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion/20110109_Economic_disparity_takes_toll_on_marriage .html - broken link)

Particulary interesting para:

Wilcox believes our culture should reemphasize the benefits of an "institutional model" of marriage - one based on economic cooperation and child-raising rather than the elusive ideal of finding a soul mate. In other words, women should stop waiting for their prince and settle for a "good enough" marriage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 01:12 PM

3,347 posts, read 7,850,236 times
Unbelievably sexist. Most women who "wait around for their Prince" were born in 1911 and are long dead.

I make $55,000 more than my husband and he's glad for every extra cent. Why would he want me to make less than him? The insecurity of that mindset is mind-boggling.

Maybe it's my profession, but I know of no women who are stay at home wives. Every woman in my neighborhood and that I know works for a living.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:21 PM

380 posts, read 746,880 times
Thought this was interesting...

"Today a woman whose pool of marriage candidates does not include someone with a college degree has good reason to be cautious, even if she has a child and could use a second paycheck. She will certainly end up better off financially if she marries a man who is able to keep a job and is willing to share his resources. But she also has to weigh the very real possibility that he will become an economic liability if he loses his job or misuses the couple's resources. If she forgoes investing in her own education or curtails her own work hours, as married women so frequently do, she could end up worse off economically, should the marriage break up, than if she had remained single and focused on improving her own earning power."

It got me thinking...is a single mother about as desirable as a man with only a high school education???

Old 03-29-2011, 01:25 PM

42 posts, read 269,033 times
I blame it on reality TV. You have all these shows like "Real Housewives of..." and women get a skewed perception of what married life should be.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:36 PM

951 posts, read 1,723,927 times
Default Economic disparity is bad for a marriage

Even worse for the man when he ends up divorced!

Old 03-29-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

Wilcox believes our culture should reemphasize the benefits of an "institutional model" of marriage - one based on economic cooperation and child-raising rather than the elusive ideal of finding a soul mate. In other words, women should stop waiting for their prince and settle for a "good enough" marriage.
Only about 10% of men appear, from a distance, to be good "soul mate" material. With about 60% of women thinking that thet definately deserve one of these guys, is it any wonder that:

1) few seem to be satisfied with what they end up getting get?

2) guys who are "good" soul mates, seldom think that they have to do anything more to attract and keep women?

Most of the men on this site - the ones the women complain about - are mainly expressing their frustrations about having done what they could - the things that they can control - to meet women's expectations but are seldom given much of a chance.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:58 PM

Default Marketable Skills, NOT Just College

Quote:
Interesting read:

Economic disparity takes toll on marriage | Philadelphia Inquirer | 01/09/2011 (http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion/20110109_Economic_disparity_takes_toll_on_marriage .html - broken link)
One must be careful not to extrapolate this into the future. At one time this article could have substituted "high school diploma" for college graduate.

Jobs for most college graduates are drying up and in the future, it will take a professional degree or a graduate degree - preferably at an Ivy League school, to make it. The debt needed to get a degree will drown most others.

I do believe that there is more of a future for people who get marketable skills in either the trades or technology. Perhaps these people are being included, but it appears not. Women will need to start giving these guys a second look.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:06 PM

10,824 posts, read 15,228,717 times
Quote:
Interesting read:

So you can be miserable but have a big house and your very own nice car, so that way you and your SO don't have to see eachother till you come home at night? That sounds awesome.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:24 PM

6,524 posts, read 6,821,469 times
Isn't disparity a normal thing? Considering how women look above their level generally speaking (generally, meaning that not 100% of women do, there are always some exceptions out there).

Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 PM

3,486 posts, read 6,928,070 times
Intellectual, personality, and physical disparity are probably more important indicators of failure for me... as long as one of us (or both of us) earn enough $ together to live a stress free life, then it's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships