Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could you date/marry someone of the opposite political persuasion?
Yes 28 40.00%
No 42 60.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:41 PM

950 posts, read 1,520,595 times

Advertisements

I am pro-death penalty, pro-right to bear arms, pro-legalization of prostitution and pro-legalization of same sex marriage as just a few examples, so I have political beliefs that would p.i.s.s off both leftwing women and rightwing women.

So if I were to refuse to date liberal women and conservative women, who else would there be left for me to date ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 12:52 PM

67 posts, read 122,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
I am pro-death penalty, pro-right to bear arms, pro-legalization of prostitution and pro-legalization of same sex marriage as just a few examples, so I have political beliefs that would p.i.s.s off both leftwing women and rightwing women.

So if I were to refuse to date liberal women and conservative women, who else would there be left for me to date ?
If you insisted on dating someone with the same views as yours, I assure you, she's out there. Finding her may be difficult...

And not everyone is either totally liberal or conservative, as you deftly demonstrated in your self-description.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:42 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,489,125 times
A rabid politico, even if she agreed with me, would be out.

There is no bigger "turn off" to me than someone mired in the idiocy that is domestic politics. I cannot stand a peasant ranting until they're blue under the delusion that their ravings will make one iota of different.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 722 times
Never. I dated someone once who was a very staunch republican and I'm a very liberal democrat. When i found out he was a republican i began to think about breaking up with him. He told me he was socially liberal and that we had all the same values. He lied. The more i got to know him, the more i realized that he was sexist, racist, and actually denounced people with advanced education(i have a masters). I think the most disturbing thing he ever said to me was that we shouldn't have social programming for disabled children because they are worthless to society. These comments still haunt me to this day. I wish we had never met, and i feel like i was lied to. He was truly a despicable human being and i feel eternally sorry for anyone who has to spend any amount of time with him.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:07 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,543,909 times
Sure as long as there is mutual respect.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:11 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,543,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post

We are called Libertarians and we are growing in numbers

I prefer " I am about freedom and liberty " which are true. You forgot legalizing drugs.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:43 PM

323 posts, read 309,387 times
Sure.

But if I ever interact with females again, it won't be to have a relationship. It won't be because I want to hear their opinion on politics, or current events, or even what they thought about what they had for breakfast that morning.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:08 AM

166 posts, read 483,910 times
For me it is a no because our fundamental values are completely different.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:53 AM

619 posts, read 655,032 times
If the person could accept to agree to disagree on most issues, be able to conduct civil discourse between us and not become insulting to me, I'd have no problem with dating them.

I have yet to meet someone like this. I've dated guys that hold a different political/religious ideology than myself and without exception, they spend most of the date and/or following communications telling me how stupid I am, how I'll burn in hell and how I shouldn't consider myself an American.

Because...that's always conducive to turning a girl on.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:24 AM

19,819 posts, read 20,428,798 times
I used to be more accepting of certain political/religious differences that -on the surface- didn't seem too big a deal at first.. But time and time again, dudes get heated and let some ignorant bs slip out their stupid faces .. ...So I prefer to be on the same page as my partner. There's enough conflict in the world as it is, I don't need it at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships