Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:52 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,343,919 times

Advertisements

So I have a loose to non-existent relationship with my father. No heart wrenching story it is just what it is.

Recently, past couple of years, he has been trying to reach out to me (uhm yeah I'm 28 he's a little late but I digress). My mother is of the mind that I should talk to him and see my fathers side of the family more often.

Here's the thing. I don't hold much to any animosity towards him... or his family (I do consider my father's side my family as well but just for posting sake I'll say his family). It's just that I had an entire childhood and adolescence and young adulthood without them and I'm like past the point of getting to know them. If I see them I will definitely say hello and shoot the breeze for a bit but I barely have enough time for the people I really care for and want to be around... why add people I don't particular want to be around to the mix? And I've been around them enough throughout the years to know that the majority of his people are pretty swell but... I just don't feel that urge.

Any similar situations?

PS... for some reason my mother is really making a case for him, saying that he looks really sad and really wants to see me. Meanwhile he was a deadbeat who I don't believe ever caught up with all his back child support
Anywho I do feel kind of sorry for him, IF my mother isn't just embellishing his "sincerity"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 06:07 PM

8,899 posts, read 5,393,524 times
Your mother's interst in this matter is extremely odd.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:11 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,858,132 times
What your feeling is normal and natural. I think you are wise to hear him out, and be skeptical at the same time. That seems prudent.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:14 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,703,667 times
Why not sit him down and have a face to face talk? Let him know how you feel. It sounds like you need to get these emotions and feelings out, before you can possibly move forward, to start over. Good luck

Old 04-18-2011, 06:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,851,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
So I have a loose to non-existent relationship with my father. No heart wrenching story it is just what it is.

Recently, past couple of years, he has been trying to reach out to me (uhm yeah I'm 28 he's a little late but I digress). My mother is of the mind that I should talk to him and see my fathers side of the family more often.

Here's the thing. I don't hold much to any animosity towards him... or his family (I do consider my father's side my family as well but just for posting sake I'll say his family). It's just that I had an entire childhood and adolescence and young adulthood without them and I'm like past the point of getting to know them. If I see them I will definitely say hello and shoot the breeze for a bit but I barely have enough time for the people I really care for and want to be around... why add people I don't particular want to be around to the mix? And I've been around them enough throughout the years to know that the majority of his people are pretty swell but... I just don't feel that urge.

Any similar situations?

PS... for some reason my mother is really making a case for him, saying that he looks really sad and really wants to see me. Meanwhile he was a deadbeat who I don't believe ever caught up with all his back child support
Anywho I do feel kind of sorry for him, IF my mother isn't just embellishing his "sincerity"

I sincerely hope you listen to your mom on this and just give your dad a chance. She has your best interests at heart and likely realizes like I do that you may still be too young to appreciate how you will feel later down the line when he's gone if you didn't at least make a little effort with him now.

Try hard to be the bigger person and find a way to forgive him. Doing so is good for soul growth, trust me on this.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:26 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,531,021 times
I think you should give him a chance, you may be surprised. If after talking with him you still don't want to have a relationship with him, then that is your choice.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:34 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,858,132 times
I have wrote off several family member, about all they will get out of me is maybe a "hello" otherwise I will flat out ignore them.

**** me off once shame on you. **** me off twice, shame on me. If there is a 3rd time, I will retaliate.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:38 PM

31,149 posts, read 22,186,382 times
WE have had several long lost family members that were found. They were embraced and we see them as often as we can.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:43 PM

10,181 posts, read 20,815,372 times
Talk to him, what have you got to lose? Once he's dead and in the ground you'll never have the opportunity again. Doesn't mean you have to allow him into your close circle of loved ones, you can always put him back on your ignore list if your meeting with him leaves you uninspired.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:45 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,184,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Your mother's interst in this matter is extremely odd.
Mom's interest does not seem odd to me. She probably just wishes her children had a normal relationship with their father. She probably has at least some regrets for the past. Moms tend to feel they should be able to fix everything in their children's live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships