Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:27 PM

80 posts, read 96,010 times

Advertisements

Why is it that so many people think that love needs to be returned to be called love. Why is it so hard for some people to make the distinction between loving and being in love?

I think it is because the word is so overused, today. We say we love something, when we can't possibly, since the object is inanimate. I hear it all the time. I love Coffee. I love tea, When in reality they enjoy both of these products. They would not say they enjoy a person. The connotation of that are quite clear, but they could enjoy that person's company.

Love is a simple thing and it is simple to give. You express love for your fellow man for doing considerate things for them. Holding open a door or asking if you can assist them, when not required by a position of employment, for instance.
This is what some would call Christian love, but it is not confined to any one religion. Consideration is worldwide, but not human wide. There are those who are simply oblivious to the concept. They are those who are self centered and wouldn't go out of their way, for anyone. I have people in my family like this. I don't go out of my way to ignore these people, but I don't flock to them when they are in need either. The expression of love is lost on them and they are incapable of appreciating anything done for them. It is only when they are in need that they suddenly acquire manners. Go figure!

To me, love is the appreciation of others and the concern for their well being.
If one sees hurt in another, to empathizes with those who feel it, because we ourselves have known the sensation, is to show that person love. It is not a physical love, but love of the spirit.

Too many people mistake love for sex and anyone who has had sex for sport knows the difference. Prostitution is a stark reminder of this very concept.

The idea of being in love as opposed to loving is the emphasis is different.
You express love outwardly when you love others, but when you are in love, you focus on your needs. This is not being self centered, since you look for someone to share your life with and become something greater than yourself.
This goes beyond the physical and enters deeply into who we are at our core and what we admire and what we lack in ourselves. It is enrichment of our own being, by cementing a bond with another soul which is collectively beneficial to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 10:58 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
" I love coffee, I love tea I love the Java Jive and it loves me " Just popped in me head.

When you find yourself thinking more about the other persons health and welfare than your own, that's love.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:38 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,326,850 times
I can tell you what love is not - "love is not touchy, fretful or resentful. Love does not keep track of the wrongs suffered."

Love is endures when there is no basis for hope. Love sees the good even if it is hard to do. Love is a force to be reckoned with- evil cannot stand in its path...

Old 04-21-2011, 07:29 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I can tell you what love is not - "love is not touchy, fretful or resentful. Love does not keep track of the wrongs suffered."

Love is endures when there is no basis for hope. Love sees the good even if it is hard to do. Love is a force to be reckoned with- evil cannot stand in its path...
That is certainly the ideal.

I could have used a bit more clarification. Thinking of the many 'self-help' books that I read and all the discussions on this topic that were related to being assertive, not being too 'needy' and accepting that 'He is just not that into you.'

'Love others as yourself'.

First, love yourself in healthy ways --that is an important concept that was somewhat overlooked for many.

I marvel that some, 'many' families understand this and pass the secret on.

My own family ---well, we have a lot to forgive ourselves for and even with decades of practice ---we have 'miles to go'.

I'll toss this in--feeling devilish today---how moral is 'Love'?

Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,442 times
"...baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more."

Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 AM

157 posts, read 140,706 times
There are many different kind of love. We don't love spouses the same as we our children. We don't love strangers or outsiders the same as we do our families. We don't love our animals the same as we do our children or spouses, although some would argue that.

There are millions of ways of expressing love; a touch, or look, or word of comfort, etc..

I 'love' that Dawn commercial with the baby animals. It warms my heart.

I 'love' the way the sun looks when it shines through the leaves on a maple tree.

I 'love' my outer family because they belong to me.

I 'love' my inner family because they are who I live for.

Love comes in a lot of different ways.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:09 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,552,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonbane View Post
Why is it that so many people think that love needs to be returned to be called love. Why is it so hard for some people to make the distinction between loving and being in love?

I think it is because the word is so overused, today. We say we love something, when we can't possibly, since the object is inanimate. I hear it all the time. I love Coffee. I love tea, When in reality they enjoy both of these products. They would not say they enjoy a person. The connotation of that are quite clear, but they could enjoy that person's company.

Love is a simple thing and it is simple to give. You express love for your fellow man for doing considerate things for them. Holding open a door or asking if you can assist them, when not required by a position of employment, for instance.
This is what some would call Christian love, but it is not confined to any one religion. Consideration is worldwide, but not human wide. There are those who are simply oblivious to the concept. They are those who are self centered and wouldn't go out of their way, for anyone. I have people in my family like this. I don't go out of my way to ignore these people, but I don't flock to them when they are in need either. The expression of love is lost on them and they are incapable of appreciating anything done for them. It is only when they are in need that they suddenly acquire manners. Go figure!

To me, love is the appreciation of others and the concern for their well being.
If one sees hurt in another, to empathizes with those who feel it, because we ourselves have known the sensation, is to show that person love. It is not a physical love, but love of the spirit.

Too many people mistake love for sex and anyone who has had sex for sport knows the difference. Prostitution is a stark reminder of this very concept.

The idea of being in love as opposed to loving is the emphasis is different.
You express love outwardly when you love others, but when you are in love, you focus on your needs. This is not being self centered, since you look for someone to share your life with and become something greater than yourself.
This goes beyond the physical and enters deeply into who we are at our core and what we admire and what we lack in ourselves. It is enrichment of our own being, by cementing a bond with another soul which is collectively beneficial to each other.
The emotion we call love is a chemical result in our brain, bottom line. Whatever chemical balance we may have will influence how we act on that emotion and use it towards others and how we feel when others act on it with us.

We also have that ability on us to think, reason, etc. and depending how our personality and character are shaped in conjunction with our chemical brain composition will influence how "we love" others, how we are "in love", etc.

I do not believe there will be a single most appropriate definition of love and a all incluse and accurate criteria on love also, take care.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:16 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,675 times
Love never stops being patient, never stops believing, never stops hoping, never gives up. Love is JOY and Joy is Jesus, others and yourself.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
The emotion we call love is a chemical result in our brain, bottom line. Whatever chemical balance we may have will influence how we act on that emotion and use it towards others and how we feel when others act on it with us.

We also have that ability on us to think, reason, etc. and depending how our personality and character are shaped in conjunction with our chemical brain composition will influence how "we love" others, how we are "in love", etc.

I do not believe there will be a single most appropriate definition of love and a all incluse and accurate criteria on love also, take care.
Yes--the 'ability to think, reason'---much more could be said about that aspect of love--prior to learning the 12 steps--'loving too much', etc--'Loving too well but not wisely', if you will.

'Feelings'---there are times that I need a 'refresher'--this works for me.

YouTube - David Hasselhoff - Hooked on a Feeling

Old 04-21-2011, 08:28 AM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
"...baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more."
Thank you, I actually came in here to post that, bwahahahahaha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships