Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 06:43 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
Comparatively, no, it doesn't cost you a fraction of what it cost a woman. You're cracking me up.

No matter, you are convinced that many women date for the sole purpose of getting free meals. That seems to be your perception of reality so who am I to say it's not true (for you)?

Enjoy your life.
So because you make an effort to look nice you should be paid for? I don't get that reasoning.

I have known many women that have cackled with enjoyment about all the men that have conned out of trips, cash, dinner, concert tickets, clothes and all the rest. There are plenty of them out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 07:03 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
It was so nice when I met my ex, he was young and broke, and I was young and broke. Dating was going out for a cone, and taking his dog to the park. Nothing mattered about who paid for what, and we did not really get into "booty" because we both went to church. It was so much simpler then. We just hung out, and held hands. A much simpler time. And when we dated, I wore old jeans and a sweatshirt. He did not even have a car. Sigh. Something to be said for simple pleasures. What ever happened to just hanging out because you like the person?!

Dating is so complicated now...I am glad I am not a young girl.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:08 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It was so nice when I met my ex, he was young and broke, and I was young and broke. Dating was going out for a cone, and taking his dog to the park. Nothing mattered about who paid for what, and we did not really get into "booty" because we both went to church. It was so much simpler then. We just hung out, and held hands. A much simpler time. And when we dated, I wore old jeans and a sweatshirt. He did not even have a car. Sigh. Something to be said for simple pleasures. What ever happened to just hanging out because you like the person?!

Dating is so complicated now...I am glad I am not a young girl.

And that's why I don't like dating as I get older because you are always being asked what you have and are you this and are you that. Unfortunely when I was a teen I was too shy to date so I didn't get to experience the SIMPLE THINGS in life so now that I'm in my 30's I had to deal with dating as a grown man.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:22 PM

Go to church, you can find a nice group of singles. My church has a group of people in their 30's and 40's, they go out as a group, and just enjoy being together. It takes all the pressure off, everyone goes dutch, and they do fun things.

I think they built a house for Habitat for Humanity the last two months for a project.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,682 times
Back to the OP....I think how he said it was rude. I like the approach another poster mentioned as him saying he could not afford to go out that evening and allow you to offer to pay or to pass.

But to ask you out and then demand you pay seems incredibly crass.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:51 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolreligion View Post
Sure he could have had more class, I would never ask a woman to pay like that.... But ehmmm come on now he has payed for everything so far. And you're calling him cheap? Wow. Should he alway pay for everything or what?

Todays women really have no CLUE what so ever as to why it's a tradition that men pay. You've twisted the whole purpose of it.
Listen carefully.....

JUST because I did not include the fact that after the first date, that the woman can do great things like COOK a meal for them, offer to pick up dinner for them, make dessert for them, buy some fruit / veggies and sandwiches and go to the park, does NOT mean I suggested a man always pay. That was YOUR assumption.

From experience in dealing with TACKY individuals, asking a women OUTRIGHT to pay ( as in verbally ) in the beginning, is low class.

A real gentleman pays the first date ( if HE asked her out ) and then after that they balance the scales.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:22 PM

If he asked her out, yes, he should continue to pay for dates. But, they could be balanced to his budget, he asks her out, so he decides what they do, if funds are low, he could take her to church, and out for a simple lunch.

If he continues to call, and ask her out, she can offer to pay, or recipricate by making dinner and having a dvd night at home.

Men complain about being used by women. That is only possible if they let themselves be used.

And for the OP, if a man asks you to pay, is that the deal breaker? Break up and never see him again?

What would have happened if you told him that you felt surprised he would even ask, and why did he ask for you to pay? I wonder what he would have said.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:06 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
Poor, poor, poor people. Doomed to a lifetime of loneliness. Why didn't I shell those 5 bucks? WHHYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Why does Hillary Banks come to mind?
LMAO!!!!!!

Belly aching laughter!

Old 04-24-2011, 02:59 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Back to the OP....I think how he said it was rude. I like the approach another poster mentioned as him saying he could not afford to go out that evening and allow you to offer to pay or to pass.

But to ask you out and then demand you pay seems incredibly crass.
If that's how it happened it was crass. I think there's probably more to it than just the guy calling up the OP and asking her if she would like to go to the museum with him and when she said yes, he then told her she had to pay for the date. If that was how it was, I'd think she should drop him like a hot potato.

I suspect that they had already had a few traditional formal dates where he asked her out, she said yes and he paid, maybe even a date or two at places she suggested and he paid. Then maybe things were working out and moving to the hanging out together stage where the opportunity to go dutch becomes more obvious and she was still letting him pay, and the trip to the museum could have been her suggestion so he simply asked if she would be paying.

It could also be that they were at the "should we go do something this day" stage and with his budget getting pretty tight, he was trying to send the message that he couldn't always be the only one paying if the choices of activities was always involving money. He was probably looking at the cost of two museum tickets, two lunches or dinners and other costs when going to the museum wasn't even his suggestion.

Last edited by malamute; 04-24-2011 at 03:08 AM..

Old 04-24-2011, 02:59 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
So because you make an effort to look nice you should be paid for? I don't get that reasoning.
No, that's not what I said. We were talking about all the "dinner whores" you know and have known, remember? I was commenting on what a time consuming an expensive hobby that would be for a woman. The math just doesn't add up. The costs would exceed the pay off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships