Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:25 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,017,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Ok maybe I talk from ignorance...I think the reason black men are now more 'popular' is because they are now socially 'on par' with white men in SOME WAYS (not others of course), in terms of how 'cool', 'masculine' they are, certainly more so than some other races. I truly believe quite a few women care more about how cool/socially important a man is rather than who he is. It's status not looks that count for them.

Depends on the women. I think its status and looks but looks can get you over. White women seem to be fascinated with a black man's body if its kept in shape well. I know from personal experience.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:27 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,690 times
Quote:
I guess it's mainly a phenomenon related to Asians/Whites (I still don't really like talking in these terms, but society is still pretty 'race' conscious), although I have also heard women who just aren't into dark skin, whether that be Asian Indians or people of African descent. The majority of interracial relationships I see here, the man is white lol.

I suppose I MOSTLY but not exclusively mean women of European descent.
in America most of the interracial dating i see is AA men and white women. i never understood why more white men didn't date AA women but they don't. it's starting to change a little bit though and become more acceptable to the mainstream.
i shouldn't act like i don't understand because i do. it's because of racism but over time it's getting better and better as the old farts die off. my wife dated outside of our race before we started dating but she was able to "go back" somehow. they say that never happens but i guess it does.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:30 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,694,209 times
I happen to date white men, I do not think I am ugly or feel I lack social skills, etc. I am physcially attracted to white men. I do not put them on a pedestal, ot think they are better or worse than men of other races. There are jerks of all races, colors, nationalities, etc.
I feel I have more in common with white men, mainly because of the things I like to do and places I like to go. I grew up around mostly white people and my sister had a white husband and 5 kids, so maybe those things have influenced me subconsciously.
It doesn't always have to be some dramatic, political, malicious intended situation, people should be able to freely date/marry whoever they want, whoever they fall in love with. There should be no repercussions from family members warning they will "expel" family members for marrying outside their race, etc.
Life is too short, people are people! It's a free country (finally, dating-wise) to date whomever you please.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:32 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Depends on the women. I think its status and looks but looks can get you over. White women seem to be fascinated with a black man's body if its kept in shape well. I know from personal experience.
Yes looks certainly play a role, and I can see why some white women might prefer black men over white men.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I happen to date white men, I do not think I am ugly or feel I lack social skills, etc. I am physcially attracted to white men. I do not put them on a pedestal, ot think they are better or worse than men of other races. There are jerks of all races, colors, nationalities, etc.
I feel I have more in common with white men, mainly because of the things I like to do and places I like to go. I grew up around mostly white people and my sister had a white husband and 5 kids, so maybe those things have influenced me subconsciously.
It doesn't always have to be some dramatic, political, malicious intended situation, people should be able to freely date/marry whoever they want, whoever they fall in love with. There should be no repercussions from family members warning they will "expel" family members for marrying outside their race, etc.
Life is too short, people are people! It's a free country (finally, dating-wise) to date whomever you please.
I don't know what 'race' you are, but I suspect part of your attraction is physical, because if you met someone of your own race who was culturally like you, culturally 'white' would you still prefer a white man over him?

I'm not saying you shouldn't, of course, but not dating your own race for the same reasons is just the same thing in my book.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
in America most of the interracial dating i see is AA men and white women. i never understood why more white men didn't date AA women but they don't. it's starting to change a little bit though and become more acceptable to the mainstream.
i shouldn't act like i don't understand because i do. it's because of racism but over time it's getting better and better as the old farts die off. my wife dated outside of our race before we started dating but she was able to "go back" somehow. they say that never happens but i guess it does.
I think it will definitely change in the future, especially with all the black celebs. Actually, I think most white men are equally open to dating attractive 'lighter' black women like Beyonce or Alicia Keys or Mariah Carey (in terms of their 'blackness') but might have a problem dating a Venus Williams type.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:38 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,690 times
Quote:
I think it will definitely change in the future, especially with all the black celebs. Actually, I think most white men are equally open to dating attractive 'lighter' black women like Beyonce or Alicia Keys or Mariah Carey (in terms of their 'blackness') but might have a problem dating a Venus Williams type.
i think you're right but i also think it's a shame.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:44 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
It sounds rather archaic, but there is often a double standard for women and men when it comes to dating outside the culture because of the idea that men go out and "take women" but women get "taken" by their husband into their family.

That leads to the idea if a man marries outside his ethnicity/culture, he is taking a woman into his culture. While if a woman marries "outside", she is giving up her culture to marry into that man's culture.

Perhaps it is not as common nowadays as an attitude but this is still seen sometimes seen, especially in certain immigrant communities -- you see a double standard where daughters are taught to keep themselves pure and not let themselves be taken by "outsiders", while men can spread their wild oats.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:49 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,694,209 times
I am black, and I suppose if I met a black man who was into the same things I was into, then I'm sure it's possible. But you should also know that about 99.8% of the time, it's white men that approach me. I don't even have to say or do anything, it just happens. And really, why should it matter who dates who?
I didn't like your comment about having faults within yourself and that's why people of other races date each other. Can it just be who you click with? who you are attracted to? who you develop a friendship and relationship with? Why do you associate interracial dating as a negative? that something has to be wrong or off-balance?
At least that's how I perceived your post. You must not be open to dating outside your race? Even if you only date within your race, that's ok too. It's your life and your perogative.

Quote:
I don't know what 'race' you are, but I suspect part of your attraction is physical, because if you met someone of your own race who was culturally like you, culturally 'white' would you still prefer a white man over him?

I'm not saying you shouldn't, of course, but not dating your own race for the same reasons is just the same thing in my book.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I am black, and I suppose if I met a black man who was into the same things I was into, then I'm sure it's possible. But you should also know that about 99.8% of the time, it's white men that approach me. I don't even have to say or do anything, it just happens. And really, why should it matter who dates who?
I didn't like your comment about having faults within yourself and that's why people of other races date each other. Can it just be who you click with? who you are attracted to? who you develop a friendship and relationship with? Why do you associate interracial dating as a negative? that something has to be wrong or off-balance?
At least that's how I perceived your post. You must not be open to dating outside your race? Even if you only date within your race, that's ok too. It's your life and your perogative.
Sorry I was a bit general, I meant sometimes, maybe often, but certainly not ALL the time that is the reason. I suppose I've observed that a bit within my own family.

I also say this because I was and am still a little (although less than before) like this myself. While I've always preferred so-called 'European' features in a woman, I certainly can find women of all races just as attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships