Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 01:36 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't know... Everybody in my office, for example, gets really excited about free food! Sometimes I'd discuss with some how I don't want to go to office parties and they'd say "but there's free food"! I don't want to go to an office party even if I get a pair of lobsters! Same goes for a crappy date, btw.
hehe, I love free food! especially from my best friends mom! She makes the best, I mean the BEST middle eastern food ever! But ya, I won't go somewhere I don't want to go, just cause of free food..how lame!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 01:40 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
Hmmm..NO! I AM 37 and I never have and never will!!!!

I call it pre-conditioning..

My sister and I had it drilled into our heads that we were "Little ladies" and ladies do not ask men out..period..end of story.

I believe word for word it went a little like this..."You are a lady, you do not pursue men nor parade around like you do, if a man wantsto know you and ask you out then he will pursue you."
So yeah that pretty much sums it up from this poster...
ya, pretty much how I was raised too, that a man will move mountains if he wants you or wants to get to know you. My dad would kill me if I dated a guy who accepted first dates from me and let me pay, not that his opinion about my love life matters that much at this point in my life, but just saying! lol

Old 04-28-2011, 05:26 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
You've never met my sister's first husband.

He loved to shop in 99cents stores, which is fine (to each its own, I consider it a hobby, like garage sales) It turned crazy when he found out that there is a 97cents store which is 10 blocks further from the 99 cents store and carried the same merchandise. Rain or shine, he would walk to the 97 cents store.
WOW!! I couldn't live with someone like that. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate and admire being financially savvy and not wasteful. My husband is that way (I think it's coded in his DNA), but I can't understand anyone walking 10 blocks to save literally 2 cents, unless they were planning to stock up on quantities of something in particular. Even then, they would need to also be easily light enough to be easily carried for 10 blocks, because I wouldn't waste gas and so much physical energy for a couple of pennies.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
There is also the bestselling book "He's Just Not That Into You" that was authored by a man and woman. He advised that most men don't like being asked out, and that they will ask you if they're interested.

So ... even if some guy feels differently on this forum, you've got advice like that out there that's sold tons of copies.

Because people buy what they want to hear.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:05 AM

19,705 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
There is also the bestselling book "He's Just Not That Into You" that was authored by a man and woman. He advised that most men don't like being asked out, and that they will ask you if they're interested.

So ... even if some guy feels differently on this forum, you've got advice like that out there that's sold tons of copies.

There's even a movie too, for those too lazy to read a book! lol

(+1 for bringing this up!)

Old 04-28-2011, 12:35 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
a man will move mountains if he wants you or wants to get to know you
Sure, I can see that. When I’ve been interested in a girl I guess I have been lucky to see her how she has also moved mountains to get to know me. Cultural difference or just plain luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
no no no, I meant later on, as in when you're official
Yes, later on, which is, months or years, or maybe it just doesn’t happen regardless of a man’s efforts.

[quote]I make a man earn what I'm gonna give later and most men know what comes later on, that's why the ones who really want a woman, work for it.

Sure, it seems common for women to make men earn it, to test them, to put them on probation, to make them go through beginning/initial stages, etc. And then later on think about rewarding them.

I prefer courtesy right off the bat from both sides and so far it has worked fine between me and the girls I go out with or take me out. We reward each other from the get go.

Quote:
Anywho, I appreciate your suggestions, but that is not my thing, at all
No prob. I prefer something different.

Quote:
As for the guy shagging the girl cuz she's an ass...ha...it happens regardless of if we're asses!
Women using men as their freebie ticket happens regardless of him being a sweet tender loving guy. We have men and women who are villains as well as nice ones out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
My sister and I had it drilled into our heads that we were "Little ladies" and ladies do not ask men out..period..end of story.

I believe word for word it went a little like this..."You are a lady, you do not pursue men nor parade around like you do, if a man wants to know you and ask you out then he will pursue you."
So yeah that pretty much sums it up from this poster...
Which it seems to be what most women follow. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:41 PM

23 posts, read 43,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I think there are older women who do this and get to the point but what about the younger ones?

When you do this? What do you tell them?
I asked a guy out 2 months ago. We are having a brilliant time and he was really pleased I asked him, he said there was no way he thought I would want to go out with him... but here we are.. together and it's great

Old 04-28-2011, 12:51 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shop_girl View Post
I asked a guy out 2 months ago. We are having a brilliant time and he was really pleased I asked him, he said there was no way he thought I would want to go out with him... but here we are.. together and it's great
Cool!

You would have missed the opportunity to be with a nice guy like him if you didn't take that step.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:26 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You know how I hate the general excitement about free food in this country, for instance. If I hear a comment like this from a man, it affects me as a cold shower! You don't live in Somalia, for Pete's sake! You can certainly get yourself some food!
I have always wondered about it too when people get excited and say "It's free food!"

WTF?

Old 04-28-2011, 01:29 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,876,725 times
I'm not against the notion of men being asked out, but in my experience it only works out IF the guy already liked the girl who approached him.

Only guys with no game think that women have the upperhand in the dating world because they are asked out. A man that knows what he is doing can pickup many many more girls than the guy that just waits to be asked out, men have the advantage because THEY choose who to approach, sure the women have the power to reject who is approaching BUT if the guy they actually like isnt approaching they are stuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships