Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 12:29 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
You can go into contract law. It does not require a lot of math, but a lot of language skills.
I suck at talking....

Old 04-25-2011, 12:30 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
...quantitative literacy...
What in the Sam Hill is that?

Old 04-25-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vanderburgh View Post
What about a business degree of some sort? Those are pretty easy.
idk. I could try.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:31 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,304 times
Quote:
I suck at talking....
You do not have to talk. You just learn how to write contracts.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vanderburgh View Post
What in the Sam Hill is that?
I can't for the life remember. I found it on the course description:Focuses on the analysis and solution of problems. Includes representing and analyzing data using statistical measures, using logical reasoning in a real-world context, estimating, approximating, and judging the reasonableness of answers, and the use of appropriate approaches and tools, such as calculators and computers, in formulating and solving real-world problems.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
You do not have to talk. You just learn how to write contracts.

So it is like being a lawyer without the talking?

Old 04-25-2011, 12:35 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
I don't know. I just want a degree that would give me a good paying job. Would I still have to take Algebra?
You need to talk to an academic consultant. Or open a thread in the education board.

People have survived without math. A school mate of mine sucked at math, but has gone on to make a great living doing computer hardware and networking, and he has no degree to date. Times have changed now, but math is not the elixir of life.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:36 PM

160 posts, read 454,451 times
What I hear you saying is that you don't care if you are enjoying your job just as long as you are in a "good paying job".
I did all the right things and got an MBA. My brother was the trouble maker, drop out, divorced young, etc and he makes 3x what I make.
There are no promises or rules other than the rules society dictates.

That being said, the minority finish college in the same degree they entered with. College is for exploring what you like and don't like and following what your true gifts are. Maybe your true gift is in communications, or PE, or blowing things up. Forget what you "should" like, do or be and just like, do or be what you like :-)

Old 04-25-2011, 12:55 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
As the title says. I am really bad at math. I am taking college algebra right now. And I can't pass the class, the thing is that I told my mother that I was passing. I can't be honest with her.

I have tried studying but yet I cannot get it. I have a b average for homework but that is because my mom and I do the homework together and in reality she is doing all of the work. The past two exams I got an average of 34% and that was with doing homework and studying.

I have a bachelor degree in History and I couldn't find a job here that was not a scam. I also did not get hired at dunkin donuts or any menial job that you would have figured took in just about anybody who applies. I'm really bad at presenting myself. Anytime I do I just fail. I end up talking without moving my lips so it sounds and looks weird. Or sometimes I just don't talk at all and the interviewer and I just look at one another.

I would have felt better being honest to my mom, but she just does not get it. I suck at math beyond comprehension. I am going to fail the class, it ends in 4 weeks and I cannot drop it because she would find out. I am already making up a story on how I want to take summer school on computer programming. My mom expects me to get a bachelor degree in Computer Science. And for the life of me, I can't be straightforward with her that math is something I can not get. If I can't pass algebra how in the world am I going to pass calculus or probability or linear algebra?

I feel stunted and pathetic. A 24 yr old with no work experience or prospect. And I have to put on a face for my mother, who believes I am doing good when I am not.

My place is not at school yet I don't know where I belong or if I belong anywhere. If I were to leave. Where would I go? I have no money or friends and I suck at interviews. I just don't know what to do.

/end rant.
Your problem isn't your math skills or your mom. Your problem is your people skills. Go to the campus counselors' office or the placement center and see if you can get some help with interview skills. Or even someone you know, like a professor, or a pastor, or a successful aunt or uncle. Tell them what's going on and ask them to practice with you. At the very least pick up a copy of the old book, How to Win Friends and Influence People and practice what is says. It'll feel odd and fakey at first, but better with time.

No matter what degree you get, you need to be able to talk to potential employers, clients, etc., and those are skills that can be learned. Good luck with it.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:13 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,619 times
Through the years I have helped many people who had difficulty with algebra. Most of the time is is simply a block on their part on being able to understand equivalences. Since algebra is mostly solving for "X", if you can establish what is equivalent (set up your formula) it simply becomes plug and chug to get the answer.

First establish what the answer should contain. That is the "X". Than simply look to see what you need to make "X" work. Lets say you are given a problem of where you need to find how many cubic yards of concrete to pour a slab for a building.
Given:
Cubes are a volume. Therefore you have three factors that multiply to give X to the 3rd. The slab is a simple one of being for a building 50ft by 30 ft with a width of 4 inches required.

A cubic yard is the same thing as 27 cubic feet, they are equivalent. If you know that a yard is 3 ft long. 3 to the third is 27. Length times height times depth.

A cubic yard is also equivalent to 46,656 cubic inches (36x36x36) since there is 36 inches to a yards measurement.

So now we have everything needed to set up the algebraic equation. Where X=number of cubic yards

X(cuyds)=50ftx30ftx4in Since you can not multiply feet by inches you need to grab a equivalent foot amount, or a equivalent inch amount for all dimensions. For me it is easiest to work with feet but you could work with inches or yards so long as you convert.

X(cuyds)= 50ftx30ftx4/12ft or 500cuft however since we are still not in cuyds we need to once again use a conversion 500cuft/27cuft/cuyd to end up with cuyds = 18.52 Once you get the fact that it is all in setting up the equivalent quantities it is simple math from there on in. I realize this is a very simple example and not the quadratic equation, but the principle is all really the same.

Now to your problem with misleading you Mother. Simply be honest, though embarrassing initially, it works out better in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships