Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 05:45 PM

736 posts, read 1,694,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Maybe she does that because untill you DO marry, you're just that, a friend!
People who are "just friends" don't sleep with each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 08:45 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,812,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
Oh please. Grow up. You're just upset because she hasn't publicly bestowed the title as "girlfriend" to you. So what? Is it that big a deal? You're acting like a silly little middle-schooler. You have a good relationship with her, don't F it up. Now go get a real problem that we can all help you out on.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:28 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,796 times
Quote:
She refers to me as well as his sister's boyfriend as "friend". She also introduces me to people using just my name. For example, "this is..." to which my boyfriend always follows up with "this is my girlfriend, ...". I guess the mom is a little bit in denial about her kids growing up. It doesn't bother me that much; in fact I find it amusing more than anything. Does anyone else have experience with this?
Could it be that perhaps she has met one too many so she doesn't think this one is serious?

Old 05-04-2011, 10:41 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,867 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, some of them do...they're called "friends with benefits."

Old 05-10-2011, 08:40 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,019 times
To put it frankly, your boyfriend's mom's behavior seems rather tactless, emotionally-manipulative, if not somewhat cruel.

Not sure what her problem is?? Is there some particular reason, why she might really be inclined to dislike you?

Quote:
She refers to me as well as his sister's boyfriend as "friend". She also introduces me to people using just my name. For example, "this is..." to which my boyfriend always follows up with "this is my girlfriend, ...". I guess the mom is a little bit in denial about her kids growing up. It doesn't bother me that much; in fact I find it amusing more than anything. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Old 05-10-2011, 10:33 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Well, you know it's not personal because she does it to the sister's boyfriend too. So it's her own personal quirk, and I would view it as such. I'm not so much as introducing via titles. If my BF introduces me I don't expect to be "titled" my girlfriend. It's pretty obvious. But I'm older.

It could have been awkward: Hi this is Mikala, my sexually monagamous other half though we are not sure about committing to GF/BF, to the now Hi this is Mikala, my officially designated GF, which both of us have agreed to marrying, but we are not officially engaged, so do not introduce as Fiance/Fiancee.

Life gets more complicated when your older.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:24 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
Personally, I think it's because you're living together but not married or engaged yet. "Girlfriend" doesn't sound serious enough for a couple who lives together, but fiancee or wife doesn't fit the situation.

She's not undermining the relationship or subtly trying to say you don't matter, she's being tactful and polite.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:07 PM

736 posts, read 1,694,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Now go get a real problem that we can all help you out on.
Nah, I'll leave that to "tv αnd sports guy".

Old 05-20-2011, 02:19 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Oh the bf/gf dilemma. I told my daughter (a serial dater) I didn't even want to MEET another "boyfriend" unless she had a ring on her finger that way I can avoid anything to do with this stuff. I got close to her first couple of bf's in the high school years because they were still kids after all, and I liked some of them and missed them when they were gone. I did have to meet the last one, but only 6 or 7 times, because it lasted over 2 years and they lived together for awhile after college, but I didn't go out of my way to introduce him to anyone, that was her job. And when they broke up I didn't feel a loss because I really hadn't invested anything in him.

Old 09-30-2020, 05:13 AM

494 posts, read 285,707 times
I have a somewhat different issue with my daughter's boyfriend. He calls me Mom and also introduces himself as my son-in-law. I have never come in contact with anyone that just took it upon themselves to do this. Is this normal in current times, or am I the one that is making too much of it? He's been living with my daughter for 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships