Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times

Advertisements

Saturday I will be graduating with my B.S. and my family plans on throwing a little party for me. My gf wants to invite her parents, but I don't want them there. They were only a roadblock when it came to college. I couldn't do homework at her house, as her parents would fight and scream (at the top of their lungs) while I was trying to do reading and studying. When they weren't fighting, the tv was blasting (her mom told her dad to turn it down as I was doing homework, her dad said "yeah..me too"), and her mom would not stop talking to me and trying to have a conversation with me while I was trying to work.

I'd only like to invite the people that inspired, encouraged and helped me through college, how do I bring this issue up or is it best to just stay quiet and enjoy my party?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 09:52 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
I think if you have future plans with this gf then you should invite them. It would be a sore point later on if you didn't.

if you just see her as a temporary gf then no need to bother with her parents at that point.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:56 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,807 times
Were you living with your gF and her parents? Why in the world were you at her house studying? If I needed to study I'd be at my dorm or at the library or a nice quiet cafe... not at my bf/gf house.

A roadblock for your studies? Come on... you put yourself in their vicinity when you could have easily been somewhere else.

Invite them! Maybe the party will be livelier. Don't invite them and you'll have a serious roadblock...

Old 05-03-2011, 10:02 AM

469 posts, read 1,175,430 times
Seriously? Its your gf's parents. The other posters are right

Old 05-03-2011, 10:03 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Do you want your g/f to cook for you in the future?
Would you like her to rock your world in the sack occasionally?
Would you like a nice,sweet woman for a wife or a b*tch?
Things you need to consider before you dont invite her parents!

Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Saturday I will be graduating with my B.S. and my family plans on throwing a little party for me. My gf wants to invite her parents, but I don't want them there. They were only a roadblock when it came to college. I couldn't do homework at her house, as her parents would fight and scream (at the top of their lungs) while I was trying to do reading and studying. When they weren't fighting, the tv was blasting (her mom told her dad to turn it down as I was doing homework, her dad said "yeah..me too"), and her mom would not stop talking to me and trying to have a conversation with me while I was trying to work.

I'd only like to invite the people that inspired, encouraged and helped me through college, how do I bring this issue up or is it best to just stay quiet and enjoy my party?
Her parents (dad mainly) sound like jackasses, but it doesn't sound like they were intentionally trying to sabotage you. Man up, be the adult and invite them, and let the issue go.

53 posts, read 54,618 times
Quote:

honestly u are in the right of the situation bro i think u should only have those who helped motivate and inspire u as u were in college!! *congrats btw*

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:

I just love that sense of entitlement you have going there

So let me get this straight...your girlfriends parents were supposed to turn their home into a library and take a vow of silence just so that you could study and do homework there whenever you wanted??

And the fact they didn't means they were some kind of "roadblock" to you getting your degree???

REALLY?? SERIOUSLY??

PLEASE bring this issue up with your girlfriend right away She needs to know what kind of guy she's dating so that she can review her other options asap.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:09 AM

53 posts, read 54,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Her parents (dad mainly) sound like jackasses, but it doesn't sound like they were intentionally trying to sabotage you. Man up, be the adult and invite them, and let the issue go.
ohhhh woww i see this point of view also... bub ur in a hard place well all i cain say is GOOD LUCK AND HOPE TO HEAR FROM U AGAIN lol

Old 05-03-2011, 10:12 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
I would invite her parents if you and your girlfriend are serious. If they behave badly, it is of no reflection towards you. It is hard to say how they will actually behave at the party because the instances where you have seen them raise their voices and the like has been in a semi private setting. This will be a party where they will most likely be on their best behavior in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships