Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 02:22 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
I disagree for childless women who are attractive or have some other appeal to men. There are too many men who are blinded by beauty or other nice qualities. I actually know a lot of women over 30 who are childless, unemployed and still at home (especially in this economy), and the non-fat ones are juggling male suitors like crazy. I'm not trying to convert my anecdotes into hard stats, but I have never met a man who would pass up an appealing woman who's childless yet living at home unemployed.

I like that you give credit to men for being that smart, but I just don't see that type of foresight when it comes to men choosing women. I'd suggest you take a poll of men over 30 and see the results.
It also depends on what the men are after. If he's just after sex, then he's probably not going to care. She's single, good looking, and doesn't have a kid. That's good enough for them. I don't give men credit, I give them credit for experience. If a man rejects a woman for being a single mom, chances are he or someone he knows had a bad experience. Yes, men are blindly by looks and can do some pretty stupid things. But again, it comes down to experience. I think a younger guy is more likely to pursue a hot girl who happens to be unemployed than an older one, especially one who's been used before or perhaps been through an expensive divorce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
That’s right. And MOST women in this forum and out of the forum as well prefer men to take the initiative, take care of expenses, and so on.
Taking the initiative and paying for the first few dates is one thing. But if the relationship progresses, most women will want to start paying as well. It depends on the woman, but most women I know who have jobs don't want to feel like they can't carry their own weight.

Quote:
Not sure if a man will fear he will be asked to feed the kid or anything. Has to do more with not wanting to go out with a woman with “baggage” as it is commonly said.
That's one reason, but another is the one I just listed. If you want even more reasons, just search through the countless single mom threads.

Quote:
If the woman seems attractive to his eyes and nice to hang out with, she's a winner, simple as that.
And as I stated above, it's not that simple. It depends on the man, his intentions, and his previous experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 02:27 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,224 times
I think society is starting to look at both men and women that are non-productive in our society. Back in the day, women weren't judge as leeching off their parents because it was assumed that they would marry one day or that they were the weaker sex and had to be taken care of. Not anymore. With women working and making their own money now, if they leech off their parents, they are not looked at favorably in society.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:41 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I think society is starting to look at both men and women that are non-productive in our society. Back in the day, women weren't judge as leeching off their parents because it was assumed that they would marry one day or that they were the weaker sex and had to be taken care of. Not anymore. With women working and making their own money now, if they leech off their parents, they are not looked at favorably in society.
Exactly. It's more common now for women to have jobs. So when you see one who doesn't have one, it's even more noteworthy than it might've been 30 years ago. And as we've seen in today's recession, people don't have any trouble judging the unemployed.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:33 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
It could be very well a generational thing, as I am in my 20s, and at least where I live, it seems that women and men are both looked down upon for being lazy/unwilling to work just because their parents have money.

This is different from just living at home, since so many young people go to college and often move back in with parents for a while until they can support themselves -- of course rent is high now in cities and recent graduates aren't really guaranteed well-paying jobs right away.

I have never encountered any women in my generation who actually want to rely on their parents until they marry (maybe it's the crowd I hang with), and I do actually think they would be looked down upon just as a young man would be for relying on their parents' cash if they can pay for themselves.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:19 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
How come society does not look down on adult women who are unemployed and still live with their parents ?

Those types of women are still able to get a date because no man will see them as lazy bums.
I know a lot of people are kind of giving him crap for this but I know what he means to an extent, though it is a little too generalizing.

Women these days work much harder than ever and are really "go getters" (I Hate that word for some reason, its so annoying) and more ambitious than ever.

However, to an extent it seems like its more acceptable for a lady to leech off her parents and not have a job, while for a man, its a low-down dirty shame. Hell, there's reality shows that praise women who leech of their rather wealthy parents and kind of influences and rubs off and some feeble minded young woman who think its cool to do the same thing. They think by doing that it'll make them some socialite and "princess". Trust me, I have a female cousin who was like that but her parents pretty much "cut her off" till she got her act together.

When it comes down to it, I think its lame for either sex to be leeching off their parents. Its one thing if they are trying to further their life but being supported by their parents but if they are unapologetic about leeching off their parents, that's not very appealing to me.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:49 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,268,604 times
and apparently even if a guy has a job and a car at least, but the job does not pay enough for him to pay the bills or pay rent to live on his own, people will frown upon him, and most women will not date him

Old 04-07-2014, 04:00 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:
How come society does not look down on adult women who are unemployed and still live with their parents ?

Those types of women are still able to get a date because no man will see them as lazy bums.
Last time I checked, both men and women were looked down upon for being unemployed and still living at home.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:02 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiLover217 View Post
and apparently even if a guy has a job and a car at least, but the job does not pay enough for him to pay the bills or pay rent to live on his own, people will frown upon him, and most women will not date him
You needed to resurrect a 3 year old thread just to continue the complaining?

Old 04-07-2014, 04:04 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,119,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
You needed to resurrect a 3 year old thread just to continue the complaining?
I don't understand this either. What's the point?

Old 04-07-2014, 04:30 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:

Yes, they will still get dates if they are hot enough. If they are below average, not so much.

Oops it's a three year old thread. Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships