Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:32 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Forgive me for my ignorance, but do most relationships involve at least occasionally sweet-talking, being 'lovey-dovey' and really saccharine to each other? I mean when I was younger I always imagined it was something I was expected to do, and I always thought I'd feel rather silly constantly saying 'I love you', let alone calling my SO corny things like 'honey pie' or 'sugar puff', constantly holding hands in public or gazing into each other's eyes lol. Do most relationships these days even involve alot of that, or is it seen as rather childish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:42 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Forgive me for my ignorance, but do most relationships involve at least occasionally sweet-talking, being 'lovey-dovey' and really saccharine to each other? I mean when I was younger I always imagined it was something I was expected to do, and I always thought I'd feel rather silly constantly saying 'I love you', let alone calling my SO corny things like 'honey pie' or 'sugar puff', constantly holding hands in public or gazing into each other's eyes lol. Do most relationships these days even involve alot of that, or is it seen as rather childish?
Do you have no experience with people in relationships, at all? In your own family? How odd. You should understand that every relationship is different. Yes you will find people that "honey bunch" each other all day long, and others that barely acknowledge the other in public. There is no one manner of behavior. Some people hold hands until they die, others never do. As far as saying " I love you", what is "constantly" to you? Once a day? That seems quite normal to me. I tell my son I love him every single day. My BF and I express the same, about once a day as well. Most relationships, "these days", are just as varied and unique as the people that comprise them.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:45 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
We're not overly lovey dovey.

When we go on date night though he will hold my hand and I get hug or a slap on the rear frequently. He always kisses me "goodbye" and "hello" too. We don't say "I love you" all the time, for me it kind of loses it's meaning if he says it all the time.

We call eachother "dear" and "love". It started out as sarcasm somehow but now it's just how we address eachother. Even when completely inebriated over the weekend I still referred to him as "dear when I needed him to hold my hair back...lmao.

I'm pretty sure that was followed by a "love", if you ever flippin' do this again you are on your OWN!"

Now if that isn't lovey dovey, I don't know what is!

Old 05-04-2011, 07:00 AM

859 posts, read 2,827,956 times
Yeah we're pretty "lovey-dovey". We hold hands every chance we get. In the car, at movies, on the couch etc. We always kiss hello, goodbye etc.

I'm pretty happy we're still like this after six years

Old 05-04-2011, 07:14 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,095 times
All relationships are different but with my spouse, we are very lovey-dovey. He's super affectionate and loves to kiss and cuddle every chance he can get. We also have a slew of silly pet names and he tells me he loves me all the time.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:19 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
It's fine for those who do it, but for me it always felt overdone and sort of fake/phoney. Especially if the couple like are abusing each other the next minute.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:34 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,926,814 times
Trimac, asking questions on the internet is no substitute for real relationships. It really depends on the individual. there is no relationship stencil that everyone follows.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:42 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,428 times
We are pretty lovey-dovey. Lots of verbal and physical affection between DH and I on a daily basis. As others have said, everyone is different. We just happen to like lots of affection.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:56 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well, occasionally "sweet-talking" and being "lovey-dovey" certainly doesn't hurt a relationship. It kind of helps to remind someone that they are cherished and loved. Some folks need a certain level of affection to feel secure and if they don't get it from their SO, they'll eventually seek it from someone else.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:58 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
I always think it's fake when I see it in couples (unless they are newlyweds or new in the relationship). I never believed in PDA's.

There is utterly no corrolation between people hanging all over each other in pubic and how hot their privates lives are. Plenty of people don't kiss in public and have active, healthy sex lives. It's what happens in private that counts, not PDA's designed for other people's consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships