Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 02:49 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vanderburgh View Post
I'd buy an island, start my own country, and declare war on Albania.
May I apply to citizenship? Leave Albania alone, though. It's got enough problems of its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 02:50 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
I want a small house, 1000-1500 sq ft with unfinished basement. 5 acres out in the country (maybe 10 acres). I want the house heated in the winter with a combination Solar Hot Air Collector and wood. Fruit Orchard Trees and shrubs. Veggie garden with chickens and rabbits. Rainwater Harvesting barrels. I want my life as "off grid" as possible. Since I'm a hardcore fisherman (woman), a private stocked pond would be my Luxury.

When I mention this to people, they are BAFFLED. The most common comments....

Why worry about the Utility bills when you can afford it?
Why grow your own food when it's so simple to buy it?
Why such a small house when you can afford maids and butlers?

In other words.... WHY would I want a life that doesn't include 24/7 LUXURY?
That's cool, but I'd suggest more than 5 or 10 acres.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:51 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
I want a small house, 1000-1500 sq ft with unfinished basement. 5 acres out in the country (maybe 10 acres). I want the house heated in the winter with a combination Solar Hot Air Collector and wood. Fruit Orchard Trees and shrubs. Veggie garden with chickens and rabbits. Rainwater Harvesting barrels. I want my life as "off grid" as possible. Since I'm a hardcore fisherman (woman), a private stocked pond would be my Luxury.

When I mention this to people, they are BAFFLED. The most common comments....

Why worry about the Utility bills when you can afford it?
Why grow your own food when it's so simple to buy it?
Why such a small house when you can afford maids and butlers?

In other words.... WHY would I want a life that doesn't include 24/7 LUXURY?
Sounds heavenly to me, spring!

Old 05-04-2011, 02:53 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
May I apply to citizenship? Leave Albania alone, though. It's got enough problems of its own.
*pouts* Fine, but I'm declaring war on someone. French Guiana, maybe?

Old 05-04-2011, 02:54 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,051 times
Quote:
Would you consider the almighty fantasy question of "What would you do if you won the Lotto?" to be an indicator of compatibility? (If so.... I'm going to be alone for the rest of my life LOL)
No, because a fantasy question sometimes begs a fantasy answer.

When people answer that question, they think of fantastic things to do with the lottery winnings. Few people actually have a well-thought out plan on what they would really do with a life-changing amount of money or say I'll put it in the bank and live off of the interest.

I have however heard women ask themselves that question when considering whether they are staying in a bad marriage purely for financial reasons.

Last edited by robee70; 05-04-2011 at 03:07 PM..

Old 05-04-2011, 02:54 PM

766 posts, read 1,395,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Sounds heavenly to me, spring!
Unfortunately, I have yet to find an "available to date" guy that shared that opinion.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:59 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
If I won big I'd buy the presidency, not show up to the inaguration, then tell America I'll see ya in 4 years and take off to my private island and chase middle age woman around. So it would basically be like the Clinton years The country will do great!!

Old 05-04-2011, 02:59 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,974 times
After the obligatory fall into indulging every known vice and depravity allowed by wealth. I would spend the rest of my days in extreme asceticism.

I am not sure you will get a good reading on compatibility from peoples responses. People are rarely able to comprehend what vast quantities of money would do to and for them. Though from your response about how you would like to live, you and I are fairly close. I have basically the life style in a rural area you describe. Except a lot more acres.

Chances are if I won a major Lotto (which is not likely since I almost never buy a ticket) I would divvy it up amongst my family and retain enough to provide for some fun for me plus security.

Good fortune.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:02 PM

121 posts, read 248,577 times
Give some to charity.

Have a blow-out in Vegas with my closest friends maybe spend ~$100,000

Go to school at American Brewer's Guild. Travel the US and Europe for research, then open a small brewery or brew pub for fun.

My wife is fine with this plan so I guess it would work out.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:05 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vanderburgh View Post
*pouts* Fine, but I'm declaring war on someone. French Guiana, maybe?
Never mind. Wrong thread. If I win the Lotto, I'll buy my own island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships