Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 12:52 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,928 times

Advertisements

Directed towards the OP...

If I am reading correctly you stated partof the hesitancy for walking down the aisle happens to be the small fact that this would be marriage number 4 for the both of you?

I am all for marriage, I have been there and done that ONCE...I want to be careful before attempting it again ( No offense)

As far as CL?

All I can state from real experience? Is proof..there are a handful of friends of mine whom are divorced and think exactly like me..

I have a twin sister..whom has been with my common in law bro in law for 17 years with NO piece of paper and they have held it together when there was no binding document stating that they needed to be together, no elaborate marriage, just love and a common understanding...

So NO...obviously a piece of paper and a huge or small intimate event is needed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 01:20 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,681 times
Oh, if this is #4 for both of you, I'd just live together and forget about #5.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:45 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
If you want to get married, do it officially. If you don't, no problem. Just live together for as long as you want to and be happy.

I think common law marriage is such an iffy thing legally that I would not risk it if you are hoping to glean any of the "rights" of marriage, either now or later on. No one wants to say they're on marriage #4 but in the end it's just a number and it's no one's business but yours. If you want to get married, do it. If not, just be partners who aren't married.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:39 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
You don't mention your state, but odds are it does not recognize common law marriage. Since you both have been married 4 times and did not even discuss your future intentions prior to moving in together, I'm guessing that marriage is not particularly important to either of you. So long as the house is a rental, no need to rock the boat. However if, as a for-instance, you moved into his home and are helping to pay his mortgage, I think you be better off giving marriage a closer look or moving out.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:52 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
CLM definition is more exact here in Canada (living 1 year together, or having a child, whichever comes earlier), but in case of separation it becomes iffier. Many people think that the definition equals them to married couples, but the definition is mostly in the revenue agency sense. When separating, division of property may or may not happen, depending on proof of contribution, judge, etc. So it is advisable (and it would be advisable to the US common-law couples) to have an agreement on paper, on what will happen should you both separate.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:44 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,837 times
We live in Alabama, and I moved in with him, even though, I have a home that is paid for. My sons are currently residing in it while attending College.

That's just it, we aren't in a hurry, marriage is not gonna make us feel any different. As some of the posters failed to understand, you can be happy with out being married.

My whole point was if it is common law, might as well be legal, but we have worked it all out, and as far as the daughter goes, those problems are water under the bridge, and college is on her mind...

Thanks for all the valuable in put. It's appreciated.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:58 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
CLM definition is more exact here in Canada (living 1 year together, or having a child, whichever comes earlier), but in case of separation it becomes iffier. Many people think that the definition equals them to married couples, but the definition is mostly in the revenue agency sense. When separating, division of property may or may not happen, depending on proof of contribution, judge, etc. So it is advisable (and it would be advisable to the US common-law couples) to have an agreement on paper, on what will happen should you both separate.

WOW, so in Canada you can be considered spouses after just having a baby together? Fascinating.

I'm curious, would you say this contributes to a more stable society in general in Canada? In other words, are people more likely to stay together and not have 3 or 4 baby mama's or baby daddy's because they are looked at as legally already technically "married" to the first baby's other parent?

Old 05-10-2011, 08:07 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Your statement that "...neither of us needed that peice [sic] of paper to prove anything." would indicated that your interest in a long-term commitment is doubtful.

The entire flavor of your posts lends me to think that both of you consider this a potentially temporary arrangement anyway and I seriously doubt that you will make the effort or take the trouble to do anything more than simply "shack up" until you separate in a drunken brawl or something better comes along.

Enjoy!

20yrsinBranson
Spoken like an old married person. You sound like one of her parents.

Some "shacked up" people stay together longer than married people. Hey, to each their own. Not a big deal to live together forever. Most people see it as a peice of paper. They live happily ever after.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:07 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
I'd say remain as is, that way if it doesn't work out you don't have to go through the divorce process a 5th time. Unless there is going to be some huge financial benefit or other perk to having the marriage license and making it official, I'd say just enjoy what you have at the moment and ride it out for as long as it lasts. Why complicate things? Another divorce also means you may have to split half your assets to include the house your kids are living in. Keep it simple.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:31 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
My point is that I don't want you to find out 10 years from now that you are CL. I believe there are all sorts of old, odd laws on the books, leftover from decades ago when things were quite different from what they are today. There are significant differences from state to state.

I suggest you get some real legal advice from an attorney who practices family law in your state. Many offer free consults and I'm sure it would be worth your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships