Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:05 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,357,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I'm not big on foo-foo coffee drinks, but once in a while I like to have a cappucino or latte and Di Roberti's makes the best.

There is a good restaurant just down the street, Lanza's, which is a nice place to get lunch or dinner then walk down to Di Roberti's for an after meal coffee.

BTW, best pastry in Brooklyn...or just about anywhere, Villabate on 18th Ave in Bensonhurst. Best Cannoli anywhere! Unforunately there is nowhere to sit, so you have to take it to go.
I don't usually drink fancy coffee drinks either, but now tempted to try Di Roberti's cappucino. Hopefully I will get a chance to do so, I will be in NY this July.

And yes, I'm in agreement with you about Villabate (or also known as Alba, right?). Every time they would have 18th Avenue feasts, we would make a point to get dessert from there.

Brings up a lot of good memories. Sorry, back to topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 11:17 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,663,567 times
There's nothing like coffee dates. I love doing crossword puzzles with Mrs Chamataka in starbucks or seattle's best............. it's so fricking romantic

For ten bucks and a 2 hour date and the ambiance, that is simply priceless.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Having kids and elderly people banging around is to much of a distraction to have a real conversation. Starbucks plays loud music, is crassly commercial, and there is a constant flow of people walking around. I like the person to be able to hear what I say, and I want to be able to hear the other person. I don't mind a silent environment, and I prefer people who don't mind silence too. But of course, as you said, you have to be comfortable with yourself to enjoy a scene quieter than Starbucks. That Starbucks works for you is fine, but it's too loud and impersonal for my tastes.
Starbucks is pretty quiet, here. When we were in NYC over Christmas, we did notice that they were a whole lot louder (and more crowded) there. Kind of like everything about Manhattan. I have no idea how I'd have a low-key, more "Me" date in NYC. Probably by going for walk in the park.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:33 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,652,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Not all coffee shops are created equal. I'm not a Starbuck's fan, I don't really care for their coffee (always has a burnt taste) and they have no character. Usually a bunch of loners and students with their faces buried in their iPads and smart phones.

If coffee shop dates are your thing, two of my favorite NYC coffee shops are Di Roberti's on 1st Ave and 11th St. and Ferrara on Grand and Mulberry St. in Little Italy. Of the two, Ferrara is busier, larger, and has slightly better coffee and pastry. Each of these places is over 100 years old with original interiors and a more cozy feel to them than the chain coffee shops.

I think coffee shops make a good starting ground or end point for a date. I would prefer dating locations that are conducive to conversation. That's why I don't think movies or plays make for an ideal first date. Not a whole lot of "getting to know you" going on. I think a combination of coffee shop and museum/gallery makes a good first date.
I have been to both of those places. Neither would be to my liking for a date, as a matter of personal taste. But they are good for catching up with an old friend over a coffee and snack.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Starbucks is pretty quiet, here. When we were in NYC over Christmas, we did notice that they were a whole lot louder (and more crowded) there. Kind of like everything about Manhattan. I have no idea how I'd have a low-key, more "Me" date in NYC. Probably by going for walk in the park.
Yes, they are all very loud here, which is why I almost did a spit take when someone just claimed it takes some sort of courage at being alone to meet there. HA! Starbucks is a fricking sideshow. when people suggest I meet them there for a date, I decline everytime. I agree with you, meeting at the park is great here, either to watch some free live music, roller skate, people watch or bike and talk.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Di Roberti's possibly has the best canoli in NYC and yes, it is a very cozy coffee shop, a place that I would find perfect for the first date. I should have mentioned it earlier but OP requested places in Brooklyn.
I also requested coffee shops, not bar/restaurants. And by the way, your response to my pointing out that your link was not to a coffee shop was nasty and uncalled for.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:54 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,663,567 times
I have a recommendation for Onglet.

Le pain quotidien

Old 05-08-2011, 03:25 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,357,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I also requested coffee shops, not bar/restaurants. And by the way, your response to my pointing out that your link was not to a coffee shop was nasty and uncalled for.
Excuse me????? What was nasty and uncalled for in my response????

Sorry if you and I have different ideas of what coffee shops are, but there was nothing nasty in my response. Nasty and uncalled for are posts that usually come from you. Stop projecting your own issues on me.
Coffee shops ARE restaurants, they are small restaurants, by definition.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
I think we can all agree that there are about a million different versions of what constitutes a "coffee shop," and while some people may be thinking of a cozy, intimate cafe, the reality for others may be a crowded, busy kiosk.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:56 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,668,191 times
i feel that this and the "women from NYC" thread should be conjoined
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships