Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 07:05 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
It might be #2, very close with #1 being looks, but it will never be #1. Fact.
You're just trying to justify your own shallowness by including everyone else with you. Fact.

What people put at the top of their own heiarchy of values is determined not by you but on their own experience. If you've experienced a deprivation of healthy personalities in your life, you will value personality above looks. Easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 07:12 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
Bull****.

If you're under 6"0 you're screwed no matter how often you use the gym.
I guess I'm screwed.

[I hope a lot...]

Old 05-11-2011, 07:15 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
A girlfriend and I made a bet. She saw this thread and thinks that all guys are drawn to looks before anything else. We're going out this weekend to a local bar, and I'm going to try to make her see that I can attract a guy based on my personality alone and not have him say, "I think you're attractive", "I came to talk to you because you're pretty", or any variant of that phrase.

I'm going to wear my hair up, put on my reading glasses, and put on a loose dress-type outfit (almost like a romper) so that guys can be fixated on my personality alone. I'm not planning on looking unattractive, but I'm not going to wear anything form-fitting. I understand that some guys go for the 'nerdy' looking type, but around here most guys are quick to hit on girls who dress more 'spicy'.

I'm not sure it'll work- it's kind of an experiment- but if I'm unable to attract anyone based on my personality alone, then I have to buy my friend lunch for 5 weekends in a row. Wish me luck!
Tell your girlfriend to pay up. I'm already attracted to you.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:42 AM

461 posts, read 782,564 times
It's chemistry rather than just good looks. I've gone out with men who modeled professionally and felt zero sexual chemistry. My longest relationship was with a guy who everyone thought was 'beneath' me in the looks department but I was the one who spotted him at a party and made a move on him. So it's not about perfect looks according to societal norms.

Why is wanting to feel sexually attracted to a potential partner wrong anyway? No one should feel bad about that. Personality plays a major role in attraction too. You can't separate it unless it's just a one night stand. I've known guys who banged my model friends for one night and never called them again. There are tons of lonely hot women out there! The reason being is no guy can stand their personalities after they've had them. The grass is only greener when your on the other side. I'd take mediocre looks with a decent personality any day over a hot train wreck.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:23 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
But 99.9% of people will take a less compatible personality for a more attractive person.
Oh HELL no. Perhaps someone YOUNGER might do that. I know you are young, so your set is most likely still learning exactly what "compatible" means. But for us older folks that have been around the block a few times, trust me. Compatibility is of the UTMOST importance and will cause us to kick someone to the curb in a heartbeat.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:30 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Of course - that's where they score their 'roids! Plus they get to check out the chicks doing bent-over rows and tell each other lies about their conquests...

Seriously - the gym loses its power after you reach a certain age. More mature adults realize that being "in shape" means a bit more than impressive lats and delts. A certain age-range and a certain social strata are attracted to gym rats - for anyone else it doesn't much matter.
I prefer someone that is "in shape'. Fit. That doesn't mean he needs to be a gym rat. I don't really care if he ever sets foot in a gym. But, it DOES mean that he must regularly participate in SOME physical exercise routine, and enjoy it. Couch potatoes and unhealthy inactive lifestyles are not my thing.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:30 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
Absolutely!

But to say the gym has little to do with a guy's attractiveness is crossing the line
I don't think I have ever been attracted to even ONE guy who went to the Gym. I do like men who are physically active but prefer more natural sports like hiking, skiing, climbing , sailing etc... for example.

Many men are really fit and toned and healthy and will have NEVER have set foot in a gym.

In fact Gym Bunnies to me I would say on the whole are more of a turn-off. A healthy lifestyle is brilliant, I do not see where the Gym can improve on someone who canoes, swims or simply walks a lot to be honest. I prefer a man who gets his fitness from being outdoors and having a decent diet and lifestyle.

"Inflatable look" men do nada for me. Zip. Zilch. Rien. Nichts. Heck even having a physical job will keep you trim and toned most of the time.

My Father never set foot in a Gym and was super athletic simply because of his lifestyle. I think he would have rather had his eyeballs tattooed than going to the Gym.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:48 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Yes it does - I won't deny that. But again, what is that self-esteem and confidence BASED upon? How big your pectoralis majors are? How many reps and sets you can grunt out? How much testosterone squirts out your ears? There are many ways to be proud of yourself - all I'm saying is only the younger generation seems to be so enchanted with physical beauty - the older generations have learned their lessons and seen that what is on the outside is NO indication of what's on the inside.
For some guys it's based on how many reps and sets they can do, or how big their biceps look.

For some it's based on running that extra 1/4 of a mile and surpassing your old time/distance.

For others it's getting that much closer to touching your toes in a stretch during yoga (me).

For others it's getting on a consistent schedule and actually keeping to it.

For others it's truly about setting goals, and achievement.

For others it is about looking better - whether it be slimmer, more toned, or bigger.

For others it's making new friends and meeting new members of the opposite sex.

For others it's simply about not sitting at home on the computer or watching television.

I can go on and on...

Old 05-12-2011, 08:01 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
Bull****.

If you're under 6"0 you're screwed no matter how often you use the gym.
FYI: I think George Stephanopolous is a hottie!!!

Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
For some guys it's based on how many reps and sets they can do, or how big their biceps look.

For some it's based on running that extra 1/4 of a mile and surpassing your old time/distance.

For others it's getting that much closer to touching your toes in a stretch during yoga (me).

For others it's getting on a consistent schedule and actually keeping to it.

For others it's truly about setting goals, and achievement.

For others it is about looking better - whether it be slimmer, more toned, or bigger.

For others it's making new friends and meeting new members of the opposite sex.

For others it's simply about not sitting at home on the computer or watching television.

I can go on and on...

...I concede.

Gee, it's NICE when people finally define their terms, isn't it?

In those cases, yes, gyms are wonderful places. Perhaps I've been exposed to too many iron-heads, or the gyms I've worked in have been less than exemplary in their operations. The most frequently-spotted species in my neck of the woods is the gym rat, in all their pumped-up glory. Since you didn't define exactly what your gym-goer was like, I assumed the worst.

I know, I know...never assume...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships