Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important are a potential wife or husbands religious beleifs to you?
Religious beleifs are VERY important 36 56.25%
Religious beleifs are somewhat important 18 28.13%
Religious beleifs are not important at all 10 15.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 05:42 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

If you are a Christian or some other religion, could you be serious with an atheist ?

If you are an Atheist, could you get seriious with a Christian or some other religion?

If you are a member of a certain religion, could you get serious with somone from another religion?

Please tell how you voted and why.

Im not talking about just going out on a date with someone, im talking about if you were going to get serious with them and possibly mary them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 05:57 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
As an atheist, I could not be with someone who is very religious. Even an Easter/Christmas christian is pushing it (that is, someone who attends services and whatnot). I simply do not believe in that sort of stuff and I'd much rather spend Easter at either a nice restaurant or at home than in a church. It just isn't for me.

I also would have a major issue if my hypothetical wife wanted to raise our hypothetical kids in any faith.

e: So I guess for me they are important, in the sense that it's important the person doesn't have particularly strong ones.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:00 PM

21 posts, read 56,320 times
Extremely important. I am not religious at all and I would not have anything in common with someone who is. It really is a turn off for me. Some people might not care and will try to make things work, but for me...I never let it get to that point. Why start a new relationship with a possible problem? I have a lot of friends that will convert and more power to them, but I don't think I can do it.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:19 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Very important. I am an atheist, and anybody that I am involved with needs to be in touch with reality.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:20 PM

461 posts, read 556,165 times
I'm somewhat religious, I believe but I don't really practice. I am more concerned that my SO be as religious as I am than be of the same religion. One of my parents is Muslim and the other is Christian, what made it easy for them to marry each other is that they shared the same amount of religiousness even if their beliefs weren't exactly the same. Now as they grow older together, they are both becoming more religious but that doesn't cause conflict. It would possibly be a conflict if one became very religious while the other stayed not practicing.

I wouldn't mind a woman more religious than me, but I would mind someone less. I do plan on being a more religious person as the years go by. My kids being raised to think God is not important is not an option. Even in my secular upbringing where attending services or reading from Holy Books was not really an occurence, I always knew God was a red line.

Personally, I can't fathom how an Atheist and a religious person could marry each other, as we see from time to time. If you're a Christian or a Muslim, don't you believe that Atheists burn in hell? How could you marry someone who you think is hellbound? Likewise, if you're an Atheist, don't religious beliefs sound extremely irrational to you? Why be with someone who believes in what you would describe as fiction and a fantasy?

Old 05-12-2011, 07:10 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
I think it depends on the person. For me, personally, I couldn't be with anyone really religious. I'm not religious at all and I do not want to raise my kids religiously. If I was with someone who was spiritual or just sort of religious - and they were okay with not raising our children with religion - I guess it could work. My husband was raised Southern Baptist but is not religious at all either. Neither one of us wants to raise our children with religion. I think it would be hard if this was not the case.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:12 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Very important. I am an atheist, and anybody that I am involved with needs to be in touch with reality.
This...for sure! Life and marriage is hard enough without the other half in la-la land praying for strength and answers.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Please see bolded responses below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post
If you are a Christian or some other religion, could you be serious with an atheist ?

I am a Christian, and yes, I could be romantically serious with an Atheist -- who am I for one to judge or condemn an Atheist? "Judge not; lest ye be judged."

Also from 1 Corinthians 7:14 (NIV): "For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy."

If you are an Atheist, could you get seriious with a Christian or some other religion?

I'm not an Atheist, but if I hypothetically were; sure no problem.

If you are a member of a certain religion, could you get serious with somone from another religion?

Depending on the religion, yes. Satanism of course though would be definite no.

I voted option #1, because while I am open to potentially marrying those who differ subsantially religiously from me, I still believe that religion (and especially open-mindedness, toward those who differ from you in that respect) is important in a marriage.

Im not talking about just going out on a date with someone, im talking about if you were going to get serious with them and possibly mary them

Absolutely, based on the above criteria.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:49 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post

I am an atheist and I would strongly prefer an atheist or agnostic. However, if the person was a believer but not very religious or devout, that probably wouldn't bother me.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:03 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,634 times
It's extremely important to me. I am an atheist and just cannot fathom falling in love with and living with somebody who believes something I just cannot believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships