Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At the age of 18, am I worrying too much about this?
YES, you should have a girlfriend by this time, what are you doing wrong? 5 10.42%
NO, calm down calm down 43 89.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 10:03 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDude1 View Post
Unfortunately that is very tough to do in my area, I don't live in NYC or even a decent sized city. On my college campus you have a broad variety of ages but 30 year olds coming back to school to finish their education are quite common. I plan on transferring out.

If you want to date someone, what you need to do is stop making excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 10:07 AM

97 posts, read 145,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If you want to date someone, what you need to do is stop making excuses.
If you say so captain but seriously, it is tough bro.

Feelsbadman.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:18 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,366 times
Quote:
I am an 18 year old kid. Thing is I did not really go to a big high school so the number of girls I could date was limited. My high school had about 300 students in it, was a really small high school, and was mostly Black. Is that wrong? I say no but I am just not physically attracted to African American women. Its not like our school had Alicia Keys or anything close to one, a lot of the girls at my school had the "ghetto" (as they said) stereotype attached to them.

Over and above all, small school, not a lot of options, was not really into a lot of the girls there. Some already had a kid and some had really bad attitudes.

Just finished my first year of college, I go to a university without much of a campus life so basically I am commuting to college. Living at home and going to college (as are a lot of my friends).

I have had two chances, one with a girl who asked me out but I haven't been seeing her that much. Another one is with this other guy who is a senior and only has one more semester left.

I am also a science major.

Anyways if I do not get a girlfriend by the time I am 20, is my clock going to start ticking real fast? Is it time to go into panic mode?

Also, I really want to experience dating and being with different types of women to see how it is like.

I have 4 teens..Well 2 are teens and the other 2 are 20 and 22..My teens are 18 and 16. They are dating except the 18 year old..He is the shyest..I think he is a sweetheart..I told him his time will come..My kids are all very different but yet still the same. I hope he does find someone special someday.
But don't worry your time will come too...

Old 05-16-2011, 10:37 AM

538 posts, read 1,522,022 times
Nothing to panic about, OP, but be careful of one thing: When you do find someone to date, don't think "well, it took me XX years to find someone, so this is as good as it's going to get."

I fell into that trap myself. I didn't date until I was 22 and married the first girl who remember my name simply because I thought "well, it took 22 years to find someone, so I guess this is it, then." She was a disaster and I found courage to leave her.

My sister in law didn't date until she was 29. She, too, married the first and only guy to come along because she figured, "well, it took 29 years, so this must be it." She is absolutely miserable in her marriage, but sticks it out because she still believes that's as good as her life will ever get.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:46 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
I started dating my DH a couple months before his 21st birthday. I was his first girlfriend. A year later, we were engaged, and a year after that, married. We're about to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary.

On the other hand, I started dating at 16, dated a handful of guys, had a bunch of crummy, rocky relationships, and finally found my now DH.

I like the way he did it better. Less heartache, less drama. Same end result.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:54 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Quote:
Anyways if I do not get a girlfriend by the time I am 20, is my clock going to start ticking real fast? Is it time to go into panic mode?
Why, are you planning on dissapearing from Earth when you turn 21? You are only 18.....you have a lifetime ahead of you to experience different women.

My son is almost 18 and he isn't interested in having a "girlfriend". He is enjoying the variety and isn't interested in getting tied down to one girl at his age. Besides he said they're too demanding, controlling, jealous, petty, etc. and he's not dealing with that! That's my boy!

Relax and enjoy your life, hang around here for a while and your motor will cool down for sure.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:14 PM

97 posts, read 145,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Why, are you planning on dissapearing from Earth when you turn 21? You are only 18.....you have a lifetime ahead of you to experience different women.

My son is almost 18 and he isn't interested in having a "girlfriend". He is enjoying the variety and isn't interested in getting tied down to one girl at his age. Besides he said they're too demanding, controlling, jealous, petty, etc. and he's not dealing with that! That's my boy!

Relax and enjoy your life, hang around here for a while and your motor will cool down for sure.
seeniorita, are you Hispanic?

I want to ask you for some advice

Old 05-16-2011, 01:21 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,980 times
Quote:
I am an 18 year old kid. Thing is I did not really go to a big high school so the number of girls I could date was limited. My high school had about 300 students in it, was a really small high school, and was mostly Black. Is that wrong? I say no but I am just not physically attracted to African American women. Its not like our school had Alicia Keys or anything close to one, a lot of the girls at my school had the "ghetto" (as they said) stereotype attached to them.

Over and above all, small school, not a lot of options, was not really into a lot of the girls there. Some already had a kid and some had really bad attitudes.

Just finished my first year of college, I go to a university without much of a campus life so basically I am commuting to college. Living at home and going to college (as are a lot of my friends).

I have had two chances, one with a girl who asked me out but I haven't been seeing her that much. Another one is with this other guy who is a senior and only has one more semester left.

I am also a science major.

Also, I really want to experience dating and being with different types of women to see how it is like.
No is what most people here are gonna tell you, and usually while mentioning that 18 is nothing and blah blah blah. These people have forgotten the the old gender roles from the 1940s-1980s do not apply anymore. It's a tougher market now.

But it's really impossible to tell, It could be you aren't gonna get anywhere with women and you are right to panic, or your first girlfriend could be just around the corner.

But if you are starting to feel stressed about, and you feel doubts about whether or not you are going to have the ability to sparks girls interests around you, then yes there is every reason to worry, because it doesn't change.

I see plenty of guys all around me who can scrape up a threesome on a tuesdaynight, but for every one of those there are also guys who went past 18 with no girlfriend, got to 20 still no girl trying to understand what's wrong, 25 and had the ocational spark but nothing really went anywhere, 30 years old and still have nothing but memories about that one or 2 girls they somehow managed to bed over the years, and still no clue about what to do about their chronic loneliness.

Just be honest with yourself these 3 questions;
*If you were to take a month long trip, is there more or less than 3 female friends who would consider being traveling companions, no strings attached or implied?
*If you invited 30 female friends to a party, would more than 10 likely come?
*Do your female friends take subtle physical contact with you more than once a week in average?

If you answer no to 2 or 3 of these questions then you do not project the kind of aura around you that women seek, because female friends will behave in certain ways if you are eligible and in other ways if you aren't.
If your female friends treat you the same way as your male friends do it means they are so platonic that you are hardly even considered a male in their eyes and subsequently the eyes of other women.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:40 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
I'm in my early 30's...never had even one g/f, until I was like 30. I do understand what it's like to go through that though, and you have my sympathies.

But do not despair, my friend...remember, time is on your side Keep looking...I genuinely think you will find her!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:42 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
I never had one until I was 23, it happend out of nowhere. I tried alot constantly but it took me until I was 23. Its a year and me and her are still together. Spiritual people say that the right girl comes, when u don't even need a girl at the time, when u are 100% happy by urself, then they come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships