Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 12:03 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,827 times

Advertisements

In today's society, young adults (male and female alike) are bombarded with images of hyper-intimate situations, everywhere from television to movies to (perhaps most deplorably of all) the widespread smut content available on the Internet. Which would naturally explain the contemporary, more liberalized attitudes and norms regarding physical intimacy in general, as opposed to say the standards of 30-40 or more years ago.

My question is, if you were to take a hypothetical young adult female, say about 24 years old or so, who has by choice fully-sustained her own virginity, and who hasn't been exposed to the more prurient modern intimacy standards (i.e., she's never "made out", and never even been undressed for or touched intimately, by a member of the opposite gender, and has had very few, if any, boyfriends): how, if at all, does that affect her basic personality? And especially regarding her more conventional female peers, who are much more likely to have experienced all and more, of the above? Remember, this hypothetical female example is someone who was likely never exposed to any intimacy beyond just kissing, if that.

Do you think this would tend to make her more likely to be rejected by her same-gender peers? How would it affect her relations with her male peers, both romantically and non-romantically? Would it tend to make her more soft-spoken, more timid or shy, or otherwise adversely affect her self-esteem?

But essentially, how do you think a girl's being virtually 100% fully innocent and pure, in terms of intimate relations, affect her inherent personality, if at all?

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 05-16-2011 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Corrected typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 12:13 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,742 times
I don't think it changes the person personality but it does limit them to their peers both male and female. For them to stay true to themselves, they must find groups of people both female and male that think the same way they do about sexual matters.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:13 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,876,725 times
im thinking prude, cold fish, basically uptight

Old 05-16-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
im thinking prude, cold fish, basically uptight
Not true but the majority of people would think that of those type of people. That's why they must be around people like themselves because they are an oddity in modern society.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:22 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
I'm thinking this thread will go the same way as all the OPs other virgin threads

Old 05-16-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I don't think it changes the person personality but it does limit them to their peers both male and female. For them to stay true to themselves, they must find groups of people both female and male that think the same way they do about sexual matters.
Thx for your valuable thoughts / comments there donie

I actually know someone (not super-closely, just a friend of a friend) who fits the description in my OP, to a tee. All the criteria -- she's between a 9-10 in looks, but never had a boyfriend, never been kissed, 100% virginal. (Of course, her standards in guys are somewhat unrealistic, IMO, because she's literally looking for the perfect guy -- 9-10 in looks, 6 feet tall, etc. etc.)

And no, I am not romantically interested in her, just in case that's what anyone was thinking

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 05-16-2011 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: Corrections

Old 05-16-2011, 12:25 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
I have a friend who's 35 and still a virgin. We talk about relationships some, and I respect her decision to live her life as she sees fit. I don't know that having sex or not affects one's personality as much as affects her life experience. You wouldn't expect a non-skier to understand about skiing, and you wouldn't talk about Mad Men to someone who doesn't watch the show.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I'm thinking this thread will go the same way as all the OPs other virgin threads
OK, kinda confused here...did I say something in particular, to offend you?

<scratches head in confusion?>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Thx for your valuable thoughts / comments there donie

I actually know someone (not super-closely, just friend of a friend) who fits the description in my OP, to a tee. All the criteria -- she's between a 9-10 in looks, but never had a boyfriend, never been kissed, 100% virginal. (Of course, her standards in guys is somewhat unrealistic, IMO, because she's looking for the perfect guy -- 9-10 in looks, 6 feet tall, etc. etc.)

And no, I am not romantically interested in her, just in case that's what anyone was thinking
Well, she sounds like she's setting herself up for failure. Maybe there is something in her that is rejecting men for safety or security reasons and she doesn't realize it.

How old is she?

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
C'mon, Djuna... Everybody's allowed to dream of winning them all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships