Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:25 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organized Mess View Post
name-change-dilemma-women-marriage-wsj: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

I think my fiancée would be a bit hurt if I didn't take his last name, but then again, we're under 30 and still in the early stages of our respective careers. What do you guys think?
Unless you're some sort of nationally-recognized celebrity, like an author or an entertainer, I can see no reason at all why changing your surname to his should even minutelt effect your "career."
Also, any woman who voices this concern should really do some more serious thinking before committing to marriage. If something as superfluous as a name change is concerning you, than chances are some of the larger and more important promises and committments that are instrumental in creating a good marriage are most likely beyond your grasp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 03:47 AM

158 posts, read 382,511 times
I just got married and took my husband's name. I loved the name my father gave me, I don't really like my new name that much (or maybe I am just getting used to it), but I know it was very important for my husband. He is very proud to pronounce my new name, so is all his family and I didn't even think for a moment to keep my old name. He would have been upset, my mother in law would have had a nervous breakdown (yeah, I know, none of her business, but try to live with that for the next 50 years).

I had some feeling of rejection towards his last name because that is the way his mother called his father most of the time (for them it was an inside joke that worked very well); but because I didn't really like their marriage at all (he was brutal and she was completly submissive), for a long time in my mind the name and the couple linked. Now I hope I am over it. I am trying hard to adjust to my new name, but professionally I haven't changed it yet (just in the official documents) because I work with a lot of people who know my other name and I would confuse them.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:38 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,178,879 times
Why would you ever break a the tradition of taking the last name of the one you love?

Old 05-17-2011, 05:33 AM

62 posts, read 114,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
We married when we were 24 and I took my husbands last name for the simple fact that it was common and easy to pronounce.

I was so tired of spelling my last name for people, people mispronouncing my last name and making assumptions about my background based on my last name.

It was an easy decision.
This is what I did. It was also an easy decision for me.

The second time 'round is going to be a tad different, on account of my fiance's last name is very uncommon. Regardless, I'll be more than happy to be out from under my ex's easy to understand and pronounce last name, if for nothing else than the connotation and remembering all the aspects of our failed marriage.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:22 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organized Mess View Post
name-change-dilemma-women-marriage-wsj: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

I think my fiancée would be a bit hurt if I didn't take his last name, but then again, we're under 30 and still in the early stages of our respective careers. What do you guys think?

I think it depends on your beliefs and what you value..You have to know if this wont be a negative factor in your marriage..Talk to your hubby and see what you two can agree with that works for best for both of you. You didn't marry yourself you married someone who you want to share your life with
I'm old fashioned when it comes to marriage, I believe the man is the head of the household and his name should be taken.
Maybe you could hypthenate both of your names.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:36 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,414 times
I would have no grief if the girl did not but in fairness I am older and she would already have a long established life in her own name. In my mind there is no reason to be under the expectation that she HAVE to change her name. My own daughter kept her name for a while but then changed it simply to reduce hassle.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:57 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I took my husband's last name. I knew we would eventually have children, and I wanted to have the same last name as the kids.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:59 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
If something as superfluous as a name change is concerning you, than chances are some of the larger and more important promises and committments that are instrumental in creating a good marriage are most likely beyond your grasp.
But on the other hand, if a name change is "so superfluous" then why does the wife have to change her name if she doesn't want to? If it's not a big deal, it's not a big deal either way. Lots of men freak out when offered the possibility to hyphenate or change their names, because they feel like their name is their identity. It's really no different for women.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
To me it is a big deal. My name is my identity and I kept my maiden- "my own"- name. Been married forever.

I wonder if a guy would feel that changing his name to his wife's would be superfluous for him.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I changed my name, but if I were older when I married I might have thought about it some more, rather than just doing it because that's what was expected. I like that we all have the same surname, but I do mourn the loss of my name sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships