Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:30 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,827 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about the near unanimous advice I've observed on the forum, which encourages ladies *not* to settle for any less than their own standards for a relationship. (Which I don't necessarily disagree with -- my only issue would ideally be if certain "standards" the ladies are looking for are always 100% realistic, 100% of the time.)

At the same time, I have also seen near-100% encouragement for men *not* to place women that they're interested in romantically on a pedestal. Again, I see the inherent underlying logic and reasoning in that.

Then it happened to occur to me, there may be a certain degree of overlap, between the "pedestal" advice and the "settling" advice. Namely this: do some ladies ever place *themselves* on the proverbial pedestal, by their adoption of having excessively picky, narrow, or extreme relationships standards?

Essentially, somehow I don't think some girls necessarily need a guy to place them on a pedestal, to themselves be on one already?

Anyway, just a thought here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 09:34 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,876,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I was thinking about the near unanimous advice I've observed on the forum, which encourages ladies *not* to settle for any less than their own standards for a relationship. (Which I don't necessarily disagree with -- my only issue would ideally be if certain "standards" the ladies are looking for are always 100% realistic, 100% of the time.)

At the same time, I have also seen near-100% encouragement for men *not* to place women that they're interested in romantically on a pedestal. Again, I see the inherent underlying logic and reasoning in that.

Then it happened to occur to me, there may be a certain degree of overlap, between the "pedestal" advice and the "settling" advice. Namely this: do some ladies ever place *themselves* on the proverbial pedestal, by their adoption of having excessively picky, narrow, or extreme relationships standards?

Essentially, somehow I don't think some girls necessarily need a guy to place them on a pedestal, to themselves be on one already?

K, can you break this theory down?

Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
K, can you break this theory down?
Sure, would be happy to. It essentially boils down to this: if some ladies are so unwilling to "settle" for something that is simply not realistic for them, given their situation, are they by extension also placing *themselves*, on a pedestal of unrealistic expectations?

For example: a girl who is a 3-4 in looks, will *only* ever consider men romantically who are a 10; no one else lower than a perfection in looks (a 10) will simply do for them, even though they themselves fail to meet that standard. By their rather unrealistic criteria, they place themselves on a pedestal.

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 05-18-2011 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: Adds

Old 05-18-2011, 09:44 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
they place themselves on a pedestal
Eh, it's not that bad of a place after all! It's a lil' windy up there and you usually get a few scratches after falling down, but it's not that big of a deal! The view, on the other hand, is great!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:48 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,742 times
Well, I think you could say that for both sexes. I see and hear both male and female thinking they're all that and waiting for Mr/Mrs Right in their unrealistic views of what they want in a partner. I don't think it's more women or more men that are doing that, I think it's almost equal.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Sure, would be happy to. It essentially boils down to this: if some ladies are so unwilling to "settle" for something that is simply not realistic for them, given their situation, are they by extension also placing *themselves*, on a pedestal of unrealistic expectations?

For example: a girl who is a 3-4 in looks, will *only* ever consider men romantically who are a 10; no one else lower than a perfection in looks (a 10) will simply do for them, even though they themselves fail to meet that standard. By their rather unrealistic criteria, they place themselves on a pedestal.
Ive seen this, its quite sad actually, a woman who is passing guys that are in her 'league' because she is hoping for Brad Pitt, it never happens though and eventually they have to take themselves off of their self-made pedestal. Afterall Men are visual, and if the guy is handsome and has a good body he isnt going to settle either, this girl just won't be approached by this league of man.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Well, I think you could say that for both sexes. I see and hear both male and female thinking they're all that and waiting for Mr/Mrs Right in their unrealistic views of what they want in a partner. I don't think it's more women or more men that are doing that, I think it's almost equal.
your right, but the only difference I see is the women might get some guys approaching them at their 'level' (hate to put it that way), but they might turn them down. The 3 out of 10 guy likely won't ever be approached by women and thus will rejected thus forced to lower his standards (in theory of course)

Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
your right, but the only difference I see is the women might get some guys approaching them at their 'level' (hate to put it that way), but they might turn them down. The 3 out of 10 guy likely won't ever be approached by women and thus will rejected thus forced to lower his standards (in theory of course)
^^True.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
True -- I don't dispute your logic and wisdom there donie!

Please allow me rephrase the question: do both genders, ever place themselves on a pedestal, by having probable unrealistic relationship criteria?

Old 05-18-2011, 10:28 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:

SOME people (not just women!) put themselves on pedastals all the time!

These are usually people with a very high opinion of themselves (egomaniacs) or narcisisists - not the kind of person an emotionally healthy person would be attracted to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships