Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more of a turn-off for you, relationships-wise: arrogance or timidity?
Arrogance 27 77.14%
Timidity 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:36 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,330 times

Advertisements

Which is more of a turn-off for you, relationships-wise: over-excessive confidence (arrogance), or lower-level or underdeveloped confidence (timidity)?

ETA: to start off, I myself chose the former option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 09:44 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
For me, timidity in a woman is more of a turnoff. People with a high level of self confidence are called arrogant by those who do not know them. Usually, when they get to know the person their views of them change to "Well, I used to think you were arrogant, but after getting to know you and more about you, I realize its just confidence".

This thing you call "arrogance" is one of the non physical things that really attracted me to my wife when I first met her. She had this kind of Studio City/Sherman Oaks/Moscow priviledged bit*hy girl vibe about her that I LOVED. Some to this day may think of her as being arrogant/bitc*y/stuck up/conceited, but it really just comes from being self confident.

A timid woman can still by physically attractive, but usually this timidity stems from being unsure of herself and/or lacking confidence.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
ETA: to start off, I myself chose the former option.
I woulda NEVA guessed!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:49 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Arrogance is not defined as being overly confident. The definition of arrogance is "offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride." Arrogant person acts superior towards others and regards them as inferior to him.
If you take someone who truly fits the CORRECT definition of arrogance and compare him to timid person, then I would prefer timid person all the way.

PS: it's also easier to teach a timid person how to gain confidence, than teaching an arrogant person humility.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:49 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,646,579 times
Arrogant men big turn-off. Timid men not a turn-on,but I like a little fear in my men!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:54 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Arrogance is not defined as being overly confident. The definition of arrogance is "offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride." Arrogant person acts superior towards others and regards them as inferior to him.
If you take someone who truly fits the CORRECT definition of arrogance and compare him to timid person, then I would prefer timid person all the way.

PS: it's also easier to teach a timid person how to gain confidence, than teaching an arrogant person humility.
(bolded portion above)

Perhaps...but one might logically conclude that ultra-excessive confidence, taken to the extreme, may be likely to lead to the criteria you had cited for arrogance. But I definitely agree of much of what you said!

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 05-18-2011 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: Adds / Clarified language

Old 05-18-2011, 09:55 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,080 times
arrogance, I probably wouldnt want to approach in the first place, unless I wanted to take her down a peg

Old 05-18-2011, 09:55 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post

Well said. I'll take timid over the true definition of arrogance any day. Shyness is something you can work on, arrogance usually requires some degree of humility or enlightenment by the individual to overcome...unfortunately arrogant people rarely ever succumb to humility.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:07 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,422,191 times
I dislike arrogant people. Since I think that arrogance also defines someone who refuses to hear you out and shuts you out.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:24 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Arrogance is always a big turn off. Self confidence is a completely different thing. The two have nothing in common. The former means thinking you know everything, are better than others and have little time for other people's views and opinions. The latter means you are confident enough NOT to have to shove your views onto everyone else, confident enough to listen and confident enough in your beliefs not to need to be seen as superior or constantly reassured by other people's assent and approval.

Self confidence means not feeling threatened that others may disapprove or not like you. It means you have a knowledge of yourself within you which requires no external validation but also that you have the strength to hear others and to have a two way dialogue.

Arrogance to me is a sign of weakness and a sign of ultimately a lack of self esteem. An outward sign of being childish and unable to bend. Being self confident gives you the power to be wrong ( and admit it)and still not feel defeated. Arrogance has to be right all the time and that to me is the biggest turn off ever. Arrogant people I avoid like the plague.

Self confidence is attractive because it is still respectful.

Timidity is fine if it does not go over a certain line. I do find people who are too wishy washy in their opinions rather off putting though. Mild and quiet is great. But people who stand for nothing will fall of everything as they say. And that is as dangerous as arrogance in a way.

I like people who have views and can assert them, people who stand for something and I know plenty of those people who are what would termed timid. Being a walk over however is not an attractive trait either. You can be a real Lion but still have a quiet roar if that makes sense. I do not like people who agree with everything you say though, that to me like arrogance is just a sign of having no guts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships