Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:48 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
A lot of my friends in class can be touchy with our female friends,
But I'm completely crossing lines if I were to even get within their personal space.
We've all known each other equally long, since day 1 in college, gone to mostly the same parties at campus etc.
The exception is when we're drunk but even then there is a difference.

I think it's an indication that I seem creepy(?).
I don't have any idea what it is I would have done to seem creepy, but I can't really come up with any other explanation...

Is there any other explanation?
Could it be that they've just gotten used to the others' touching, and that it's so unusual for YOU to do it, that it seems creepy? Are you careful enough WHERE you touch? or for how long? Do YOU look uncomfortable when you do it?...or desperate? or creepy? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 06:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,466 times
I horse play a lot and competative (combat moves). Some people get upset when you do and don't. One guy said no horse playing if he can't.

To all out there if I offended you let me know and you will get your apollogy.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:35 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,422,144 times
I have alot of women in my life that often touch / run their hands over my arms and shoulders when talking to me. As for me I only do it with SO's thats where it starts and ends.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:58 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,428 times
not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but touchy-feelyness could also be attributed to culture, men of european descent (Italians, French, Spanish for example) tend to be more touchy feely than North American men, generally speaking

Old 05-25-2011, 10:15 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but touchy-feelyness could also be attributed to culture, men of european descent (Italians, French, Spanish for example) tend to be more touchy feely than North American men, generally speaking
^^^^
Agree with darren's analysis of touchy-feelyness in men.

A potentially interesting aside question: is the same also true of women though? (i.e., European vs. North American, etc.)

Old 05-25-2011, 12:15 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
^^^^
Agree with darren's analysis of touchy-feelyness in men.
Also agree!

Quote:
A potentially interesting aside question: is the same also true of women though? (i.e., European vs. North American, etc.)
It is for a lot of Latin women...at least in MY experience.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:20 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,195,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I was just reading a thread about flirting and I didn't want to hijack it, but I was wondering something.

I'm a woman and I know women can be very "grabby" when it comes to our friends, both female and male. Though for me personally at least, I'm way less touch-y with male friends or associates just because I wouldn't want to give someone the wrong idea. (I'm married.)

What about men who touch a lot? Not necessarily grabbing the female friend's knee as the post I'm referencing said, but just sitting close enough to be touching sides, leaning against the person's leg once in a while, hands brushing hands, etc. As I said, with women I wouldn't think twice. What about with a man?

Is something like that always flirting, or are some men just more physically affectionate than others, even in a platonic way?

I have known a couple of men like this and I immediately got an "ooh, that was a flirting kind of thing" vibe but logically, I realized that they were happily married/in no way a match/couldn't have been interested for [insert_reason_here]. Maybe it's just instinct that would make a woman think a man touching her in a friendly way is flirting? Would love others' input on this. I won't say "males only" since I'm sure women have had this sort of thing too and maybe were just friends with the person, etc., so all input is welcome.

Plus I haven't started a thread in a while.
I only touch my wife, that's it. i work at a place that if you make the wrong move you're done, i'm a "hands off" guy.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:34 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
I only touch my wife, that's it. i work at a place that if you make the wrong move you're done, i'm a "hands off" guy.
But is that your true nature, or just your "work conditioning"?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:09 PM

8 posts, read 8,395 times
I think the boundaries are clear. I don't get the unclarity. If you notice that someone is touching you like you described, they either have a personal space understanding issue or they are flirting. This is probably a married woman who is trying to stroke her ego by flirting with other married men, and wanting to know if the guy was flirting back. typical.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:39 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
I am convinced society is sick.

Unless your genitalia is being groped or if simple touching seems to be leading that way it is usually nothing as humans are naturally tactile beings.
Watch a group of monkeys preening each other - is it sexual or exactly what it is - preening?
I don't suggest humans sit and preen each other but we have been convinced every man is a deviously sick SOB with no intentions but abduction, bondage, torture, rape and murder on his mind; little kids being the preferred target.
We are all seemingly sexual predators who should register ourselves as sex offenders just to ease the minds of whacked out people convinced of such. Reading this thread tells me how many people have bought into the hype and don't trust anyone at all for any reason.

Party on, Garth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships