Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:14 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,583,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Just took a quick look at your C-D album -- and I honestly think you're very beautiful, and quite lovely! Forget about the exact numbers...the important thing is sometimes a person's attractiveness in itself is enough, and doesn't require a precise numerical comparison measure
Haha just wrote a post about how obnoxious it is for people to see out praise about their appearance on the internet, so for the record, I wasn't seeking such attention, haha. But thank you that is very nice of you. I was just saying that I think once you get past very unattractive people and extremely freakishly good looking people, most fall in the middle somewhere and that is when it starts to get subjective.

But thank you, that is very nice of you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 09:21 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,760,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
Haha just wrote a post about how obnoxious it is for people to see out praise about their appearance on the internet, so for the record, I wasn't seeking such attention, haha. But thank you that is very nice of you. I was just saying that I think once you get past very unattractive people and extremely freakishly good looking people, most fall in the middle somewhere and that is when it starts to get subjective.

But thank you, that is very nice of you...
You're very welcome (and it's certainly the 100% truth, in my humble opinion)! Lol...I definitely understand what you you mean above though, also

Old 05-31-2011, 09:33 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
I have to disagree. I can only speak for myself, but I have literally no idea where I fall on this so called scale. I know I'm not a 1 or a 10, but I don't know where I fall on this. I think most people fall somewhere in the middle and if they aren't hideous or a supermodel, it is a gray, subjective area.
I know exactly what you mean and I deliberately did not look at your pic b/c I don't want it to affect my post here. If you use other people's reactions to figure out what you look like it's even more confusing b/c very good looking people will flirt and ugly people will turn up their nose and a lot of times it seems one's attractiveness is more affected by their mood or what they are wearing than anything else.

I read a study once that said that they took a bunch of pix and had people rate the attractiveness of each one, but they were amazed when the composite pictures of the average of hundreds of faces always won--even over the reigning beauty queens of the day. So I'm guessing that if you're average you're just as attractive as anyone else and that's a good place to be.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:57 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
BS.
Beauty is a relatively set concept where 99% of men will agree to which one of for example erica durance and hillary clinton is more attractive.
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/imag...a-durance4.jpg
http://mopeder01.bloggy.se/download/...nton_leads.jpg

Yes taste does differ somewhat, but a 10/10 on my scale will never be lower than an 8 on anothers scale and his 10s will probably not be lower than 8 on my scale. A 2 on my scale wont pass 4 on his scale and vice versa.
this.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:06 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
I was just saying that I think once you get past very unattractive people and extremely freakishly good looking people, most fall in the middle somewhere and that is when it starts to get subjective.
I kinda agree with this, but I think this holds more true for women than it does for men. If a man is super gorgeous (Paul Walker), then looks alone may be enough to captivate a woman's interest. Or if he's super ugly, then he may be automatically disqualified no matter what other compensatory attributes he brings to the table. Since most men are neither super gorgeous nor super ugly, looks usually aren't usually dispositive for women, and they'll evaluate a guy based on a number of different benchmarks.

Since men care about looks sooooo much more than women, the slighest differences count. Hips that are slightly too narrow or wide, a small gap between the teeth, skin blotches, or an extra 15 pounds can make a pretty significant difference in the attraction a man feels for a woman. This is not to say that a man won't overlook any of those things because we all understand that nobody's perfect. But the point is that men's eyes are specifically designed by nature to hone in on detail and seemingly insignificant things to women often matter a lot to men.

On the flipside, women judge men harshly on personality. The slightest slip of the tongue with an attractive girl can often get you the cold shoulder.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:25 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
I agree with D. Scott. I feel like there is someone for everyone, too, or there can be if they give themselves a chance.

A happy, healthy, honest, kind, intelligent person is a very attractive person regardless of what they physically look like. A lot of what makes a person attractive to others is how they choose to behave and present themseleves and how they treat other people - not so much what their outer shell looks like.

Physical beauty might be the thing that initially attracts for some, but it's only surface-value. It's the nitty gritty on the inside stuff that seals the deal.

I've met a lot of people who on the outside were very physically attractive, but their behavior or how they carried themselves or spoke made them very unattractive.

Also, when I see someone trying too hard to appear attractive physically I find that unnattractive. To me it seems like they are trying too hard to be something they are not, or that they are very insecure.

It's one of many reasons why I do not like a lot of makeup, fake tan, name brand/trendy clothes, fake nails, hair extensions, lots of jewelry, etc. To me that kind of stuff is really unnattractive. It distracts from the real person, or it seems like the person is trying to hide their true self, which I find unattractive.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:45 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgurl10 View Post
So, I've been browsing the relationships forum for a while, and the common thread seems to be that unattractive people have a much harder time finding that right person, but my question is who defines unattractiveness. What may seem unattractive to one person may be beautiful to another person. So my question is who determines how attractive or unattractive person is?

That may be true but the problem is that on one end of the scale, you have 100 people thinking one person is attractive and at the other end only 1 person thinking that 100 people are attractive.

Whenever I see the comments that men need to be persistent to find someone to date, I cringe. It is the same 10% of guys who have all the luck every weekend and 80% of guys have rates of success ranging from 3% to nearly zero - yet they are supposed to be rejected again and again and bounce back like toy clowns. Makes no sense and many men have now reached this conclusion.

Of course, to paraphrase, women say that these men have just not set their sights low enough! Try giving that advice to almost any women and see how far that you get.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:26 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post

Whenever I see the comments that men need to be persistent to find someone to date, I cringe. It is the same 10% of guys who have all the luck every weekend and 80% of guys have rates of success ranging from 3% to nearly zero - yet they are supposed to be rejected again and again and bounce back like toy clowns. Makes no sense and many men have now reached this conclusion.

Of course, to paraphrase, women say that these men have just not set their sights low enough! Try giving that advice to almost any women and see how far that you get.
yep very true, but don't expect women (or at least 90% of them) to understand this. it takes a man to write this book (on receiving rejection).

and the fact is, as much as most men claim to enjoy 'the thrill of the chase', very few have the stomach for consistent (and sometimes, harsh) rejection, so they either give up pursuing women after just a few failed attempts, or try very rarely, only when they have almost undeniable evidence of the girl's attraction to them.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:33 PM

328 posts, read 603,026 times
I don't much care for painted eyebrows.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:45 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,503 times
Is this the thread where we post about our propensity to attack someone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships