U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 PM

9,410 posts, read 12,832,402 times

Advertisements

Bad boys who feel shame can take heart, there is now a scientific explanation for why you're so attractive.

The Body Odd - Want to catch a lady's eye? Don't smile, study says
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 09:41 PM

9,444 posts, read 16,430,845 times
I'm not sure about this study. Not every smile is a cheerful happy one. Some men smile in such a sexy way that it gives me butterflies and not just in my stomach.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:34 PM

946 posts, read 2,773,723 times
I had come across the same article. While I don't necessarily agree with it because a smile from a man always warms me up, the mysterious, deep look in a man is very attractive and sexy. But I wouldn't put too much emphasis on this study.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:31 PM

8,010 posts, read 7,436,398 times
I'm not much of a smiler. I hate taking pictures and people ask me to smile because I feel it makes me look goofy and fake. I only smile when I think of something genuinely funny or something that gets me excited.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:52 AM

5,750 posts, read 9,501,093 times
Very interesting! I believe I shall have to conduct my own field studies this summer.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:15 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,072,530 times
That fits in a odd way what a young lady told me when I was barely a teenager. We were talking on the bus ride home and she said I should smile more. That I would be more attractive if I did. Well I practiced in front of the mirror but I must admit it is not one of my gifts to have a wide and friendly smile. At least I learned not to frown as much. Perhaps if I was a smiler she would have not talked to me at all.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:22 AM

12,941 posts, read 20,523,841 times
Pshhh! REAL bad boys don't WANT to change - they're too busy having fun being bad.

Flawed study - the smiles are obviously fake; "Pride" looks like a bad Rocky imitation for both sexes, and "Shame" just looks like a couple of psychotics having a bad day. "Neutral" is about the most normal-looking one of the bunch.

My smile, dimples and all, has been complimented many times, but it has to be genuine - I can feel (and the ladies can certainly see) when it's faked.

Plus, they don't take into account all the facial elements - my "devil eyes" naturally go with and reinforce my bad-boy smile, so it has to be taken as a complete package.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:28 AM

9,396 posts, read 14,762,989 times
I'm not a huge smiler unless it's one of those laughing smiles or something like that.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:40 AM

42,835 posts, read 83,656,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I'm not sure about this study. Not every smile is a cheerful happy one. Some men smile in such a sexy way that it gives me butterflies and not just in my stomach.
I agree. There are smiles and there are devilish smiles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
My smile, dimples and all, has been complimented many times
Ha! You got dimples, Chunky? How can anybody see them under the beard...?

I've always been a sucker for dimples. I have only one myself (my two cousins stole them all ), but actually I don't mind not having two. I find a touch of asymmetry more interesting.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:48 AM

12,941 posts, read 20,523,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ha! You got dimples, Chunky? How can anybody see them under the beard...?
I keep my beard very low on my cheeks and trimmed very close - it's more like "Fuzzy Wuzzy Wuz A Bear" -

Quote:
I've always been a sucker for dimples. I have only one myself (my two cousins stole them all ), but actually I don't mind not having two. I find a touch of asymmetry more interesting.
Asymmetry is sexy - that's why I always lust after one-legged women!

Plus, of course, they have trouble getting away quickly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships