Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:28 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckyb221 View Post
You can look online for elevator shoes. There are a number of sites now that offer them. I was recently talking to an owner of one of the companies based in the Los Angeles area and asked him how business has been doing during the recession. He said that business has doubled each year over the past three years. These are huge numbers. I asked him why he thought sales were rising so quickly. He said is was because of the American obsession, primarily women, with height. He says that it isn't just about tall height when dating/relationships, but also the corporate world. We had an interesting discussion. He has also noticed more large sizes being sold, which showed him that more average and above average men wanting to be six feet or over. He said it wasn't just short guys wearing the shoes anymore.

I normally wear shoes that give me an extra four inches from my barefoot height. Yes, I have measured. They have five inch shoes, but they are too uncomfortable. I also have some three inch tennis shoes.
It's your choice to do what you want, cosmetically. Certainly women wear make-up, get push-up bras, and do plenty of other things that aren't 100% "them" all in the name of looking attractive for the opposite sex.

However, you need to do so with the understanding that not all women are so shallow as to reject a man automatically for height. (And by the way, be aware that just as many men will reject a woman for being taller than them--this works both ways and it's not just the men who are the victims.) You are looking for one of those women who cares about the person on the inside, not the outside. So, in truth, the elevator shoes aren't going to make a difference. A woman who would have disqualified you for height on the first date is just going to do a double take and disqualify you after you take the 4 inch shoes off after a month, or whatever. IF height was a condition of hers to begin with (as it is for some women and men) then knowing you for a month will change nothing.

The kind of woman you're looking for is someone who doesn't care about height, just like many tall women have fewer dates while they're forced to look for one of those special men who doesn't care if his wife is taller than him. That kind of woman will probably be more put off that you clearly have little self confidence. I know some very short men (under 5'4") who have lovely women on their arms. They have great personalities and they attract people to them, friends and women alike. A funny, kind, interesting and charming man will attract people, even if he has a few physical features that are considered unideal. Insecurity is a turn-off.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:28 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,314 times
I'd dump you if I found out you wore elevator shoes not because you were shorter (I literally outgrew a boyfriend during puberty, so height differences aren't a big deal to me), but because it shows that you lack confidence and prefer to be deceitful rather than confront a situation head on. One of my biggest crushes in high school (who was rather popular with many other girls) was only 5'3" but was very nice looking, was in good shape and had personality for days. If high school girls can swoon over a short man with personality and good looks, normal women can too. By wearing elevator shoes, you are indicating to women that it's ok for them not to like you at normal height because YOU don't like you at your normal height. If you can't accept yourself for who you are, you can't be mad if no one else does either.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:32 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Honey, I would not be looking at your feet...
Is that you Tommy?

Old 05-28-2011, 09:41 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Some women will dump you over the extra 4 inches, period.

I don't have a height thing - the last guy I went out with was 5'6" - but frankly I'd still find it weird if on the third date I found out a guy was wearing elevator shoes. I'd assume you have low self-esteem, which is very unattractive. If I really liked you, I'd still date you. But if I were at all on the fence about you, I'd probably not want to see you anymore.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:24 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
they wear push-up bras...
............ heels, too much make-up, fake nails, fake hair.........

Old 05-28-2011, 01:42 PM

56 posts, read 171,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
I'd dump you if I found out you wore elevator shoes not because you were shorter (I literally outgrew a boyfriend during puberty, so height differences aren't a big deal to me), but because it shows that you lack confidence and prefer to be deceitful rather than confront a situation head on. One of my biggest crushes in high school (who was rather popular with many other girls) was only 5'3" but was very nice looking, was in good shape and had personality for days. If high school girls can swoon over a short man with personality and good looks, normal women can too. By wearing elevator shoes, are indicating to women that it's ok for them not to like you at normal height because YOU don't like you at your normal height..
Do you wear makeup? If you wear makeup you are indicating to men that it's ok for them not to like you as you normally look because YOU don't like you at how you normally look.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:22 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Do you wear makeup? If you wear makeup you are indicating to men that it's ok for them not to like you as you normally look because YOU don't like you at how you normally look.
If you want to dump a woman who you found unattractive without makeup, you do know that you are free to do so, right? That's the way dating goes - as you get to know a person, you evaluate them. If something doesn't sit right with you, you are free to stop seeing him or her. If you are ridiculous about your desires, there is a good chance you will end up alone, but that is your choice to make.

StinaTado does not have to accept a guy wearing elevator shoes, and you don't have to accept a woman who wears makeup which significantly alters her appearance. It really is that simple.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:16 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Imagine how a woman would feel if you picked her up in a Ferrari wearing an Armani suit, took her to Spago, and then ended the night back at your penthouse at the Ritz... then, the second date, you went to Chipotle via the bus because you blew all your savings to make that first impression, renting a Ferrari and the penthouse at the Ritz for the night and dropping $400 on a meal.

It's kind of like that.

Don't falsely advertise.

If you're that worried about it, I would suggest you get something like a pair of Doc Martens. They'll boost you by an inch or two, which is way less noticeable when you take them off.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:45 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
Quote:
To some extent, this is fair, but I think it's a matter of degrees. There's putting on some light make-up to smooth things out a bit, then there's putting on a stuffed bra that boosts you from an AA to a D cup. One seems like a bit of enhancement, the other, downright deception.

And in this instance, I think a pair of Doc Martens (good suggestion by another poster) or other such mainstream shoes that adds an inch or two is within reason. Four inches in elevator shoes would be quite the shock once you take them off. It's a dramatic difference.

For a woman who height is a deal-breaker? You aren't going to change her mind, whether she finds out on the first date or after a few weeks. For a woman who doesn't care about height? She may find the insecurity off-putting. If she truly was crazy about you, it probably wouldn't matter. But it would strike many as a point of concern, I would think.

But again, you are welcome to do what makes you feel most comfortable. Just keep in mind that the message women may actually be getting is, "He's so insecure."

Old 05-28-2011, 07:13 PM

328 posts, read 603,068 times
You should have confidence in your true height. Wearing elevator shoes is basically lying; the truth will come out as soon as you take the woman home. Wearing those shoes are cool if you're going to a social event, simply to be more intimidating to other men, but for attracting women, it's not a good plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships