Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 07:41 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times

Advertisements

Have you ever met an attractive (tall, charming, successful, good-looking) guy who lots of attractive women have expressed interest in that was "trapped" in a relationship (without having a kid) for any of the following reasons:

(a) low self-esteem
(b) he had nowhere else to go
(c) he thought he couldn't do any better

I have heard that many attractive women, despite having several options to choose from, stay with guys because they have low self-esteem, have nowhere else to go, or because they think they can't do any better. Sometimes they stay in a relationship with a guy who is clearly inferior to her other suitors by all observable metrics (height, looks, money, and attitude). So I started wondering: "Do attractive men get trapped into relationships because of low self-esteem?" Have you ever seen a hot guy with a girl you thought "wasn't on his level" and who was treating him poorly and thought to yourself, "He's only with her because he has low self-esteem and doesn't think he can do any better?" Just curious.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 06-10-2011 at 07:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 07:49 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
all observable metrics (height, looks, money).
Well there's your problem. You aren't paying attention to what really matters.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well there's your problem. You aren't paying attention to what really matters.
I just revised that part. So basically, what is the male equivalent of a beautiful woman trapped in a relationship with a loser who treats her poorly? Have you ever seen a super hot guy, who had lots of attractive options but was with an unattractive girl who treated him like crap? And if so, do you think it was because he lacked self-esteem and felt he couldn't do any better?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:02 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,282,687 times
Quote:
Have you ever met an attractive (tall, charming, successful, good-looking) guy who lots of attractive women have expressed interest in that was "trapped" in a relationship (without having a kid) for any of the following reasons:

(a) low self-esteem

I have heard that many attractive women, despite having several options to choose from, stay with guys because they have low self-esteem, have nowhere else to go, or because they think they can't do any better. Sometimes they stay in a relationship with a guy who is clearly inferior to her other suitors by all observable metrics (height, looks, money, and attitude). So I started wondering: "Do attractive men get trapped into relationships because of low self-esteem?" Have you ever seen a hot guy with a girl you thought "wasn't on his level" and who was treating him poorly and thought to yourself, "He's only with her because he has low self-esteem and doesn't think he can do any better?" Just curious.
I rarely see "attractive" men with "inferior" women, because those men in general have their pick of the litter.

Attractive guys possess traits such as good looks, wealth, physical characteristics, confidence, strong personalities, and more. These things would naturally lead him toward meeting/dating high-value women as well.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,467,349 times
There are always exceptions to common "widsom" it seems. Either the guy has some hard to discern major flaw that limits his options, or he may find his apparently sub-par partner to be superior in ways that matter to him - or at least she once was, and he is a person who honors commitments.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
I rarely see "attractive" men with "inferior" women, because those men in general have their pick of the litter.

Attractive guys possess traits such as good looks, wealth, physical characteristics, confidence, strong personalities, and more. These things would naturally lead him toward meeting/dating high-value women as well.
So you've never a met a hot guy with a girl who was not attractive and treated him like crap (i.e., cheating on him, flirting with other men in front of him, making him feel bad)?

Have you ever known an attractive girl with a guy that most people, by conventional standards, would not consider attractive, and that guy treated her poorly (cheating on her, flirting with other girls in front of her, not coming home at night)?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:23 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,282,687 times
Quote:
So you've never a met a hot guy with a girl who was not attractive and treated him like crap (i.e., cheating on him, flirting with other men in front of him, making him feel bad)?

Have you ever known an attractive girl with a guy that most people, by conventional standards, would not consider attractive, and that guy treated her poorly?
I've met and had friends who were high-value guys, good-looking, intelligent, and great futures - and were definitely with girls "inferior" to him, but they were not unattractive.

One instance comes to mind - two high-school sweethearts. But even then, the girl isn't completely unattractive, she's just not at his "level".

Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,991 times
Quote:
I just revised that part. So basically, what is the male equivalent of a beautiful woman trapped in a relationship with a loser who treats her poorly? Have you ever seen a super hot guy, who had lots of attractive options but was with an unattractive girl who treated him like crap? And if so, do you think it was because he lacked self-esteem and felt he couldn't do any better?
Yep, I've seen it on bridezillas. Most of those women are fugly as heck!

Old 06-10-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
I've met and had friends who were high-value guys, good-looking, intelligent, and great futures - and were definitely with girls "inferior" to him, but they were not unattractive.

One instance comes to mind - two high-school sweethearts. But even then, the girl isn't completely unattractive, she's just not at his "level".
So have you ever encountered attractive women with losers who treated them poorly and you said to yourself "WTF?"

Old 06-10-2011, 12:38 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,297 times
Quote:

(a) low self-esteem

Keep in mind that some of these attractive women don't see themselves as attractive. As a general rule, women underestimate their looks and men overestimate theirs. This would explain why they don't feel like they can do better. And a lot of guys will deliberately try to make their partner feel bad about her looks, calling her fat, ugly, etc. basically to convince her that no other guy would want her. I've seen attractive women who stayed in bad relationships because, after a string of failed relationships, they didn't want to feel like they failed again. I've even seen attractive women stay because they felt like the guy couldn't manage without her.

As far as attractive men feeling "trapped", it's not as common, but I have seen some cases. One guy's a doctor. Tall, good-looking, and being a doctor, he has no trouble attracting women. But he comes from a family of doctors and had it drilled into his head that he should only marry another doctor. So he did, but now he's not very happy. He could definitely do better, but since he doesn't think very highly of other doctors, he figures if there is someone out there better than his wife, chances are she's not a doctor. Another guy I know has a similar problem. He's black, he married a black woman, but she doesn't treat him very well. He's an attractive guy, but doesn't want to date outside his race and doesn't like any of the black women he meets. So now he's convinced that there are no good black women out there who are single. So in both their cases, it's not an issue of self-esteem so much as feeling like they don't have any better options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships