Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 07:41 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,028,858 times

Advertisements

This applies to romantic relationships as well as friendships.

Do you ever attempt to smooth things over only to realize it was a mistake? Well, that's where I'm at. I don't want to get into details. I just wonder how you find peace in spite of messy endings. Sure, one can say "I made a mistake." But it just feels icky and like I should have just stuck to my guns. Can anyone else relate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 08:29 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,351,805 times
How can anyone possibly relate to???????Sounds like you tried your best to make whatever situation you were in better...you should feel peace from that.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:43 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,269,244 times
I have tried this before....was separated from my ex-husband and we tried to reconcile...worst mistake in my life..I should have kept on walking. I did what I could but that was it!

Old 06-18-2011, 08:58 AM

34,223 posts, read 83,425,390 times
1) Polite and honest should be enough.
2) Absent having children or other continuing common obligations... pull that band aid off and be done.
3) Continuing the conversation "about X" beyond when the decision was made to end "X"... is passive aggressive BS.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:08 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,425,689 times
I thought this thread was about something completely different.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:40 AM

367 posts, read 1,077,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I thought this thread was about something completely different.
Hahaha, love where your head's at.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:56 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,848,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_bd View Post
Hahaha, love where your head's at.
Head.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:00 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,028,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
1) Polite and honest should be enough.
2) Absent having children or other continuing common obligations... pull that band aid off and be done.
3) Continuing the conversation "about X" beyond when the decision was made to end "X"... is passive aggressive BS.
I agree with numbers 1 and 2. There is nothing passive aggressive about it, just a judgement error.

However, I have a bigger problem now. My mother told me this morning she doesn't want to "be here" any longer. My dad died last year so of course I thought she was depressed over this. As it turns out, she doesn't want to "be here anymore" because of me! She doesn't want to have to worry about me! Now, THAT, is not passive aggressive, but it sure is something.

I could start a whole new thread but I won't. I don't even know how to respond to such a statement other than to be angry and just plain sad. And today marks 15 years since my divorce was finalized. NOT having a good day here.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:57 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,967,219 times
I once had a scenario that fell along these lines - a friendship (of sorts) ended badly. I had a bad taste in my mouth and though I felt I was right, I just couldn't get over feeling like I hadn't handled it correctly. I contacted the person, thinking that I needed to say somethings, apologize for my behavior, etc.

The other person smirked, got on their high horse, etc - and at first, I felt so much worse. But after a couple days, I realized that I had done the right thing. Their actions were a reflection of THEM, not me. I decided not to continue the relationship, but had peace. I am glad I did do what I did though, contacting them and clearing the air, apologizing, etc. That doesn't mean that I have to stick around and be beaten down by them though.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:48 PM

869 posts, read 975,696 times
Quote:
Mystigrl092 wrote:

This applies to romantic relationships as well as friendships.

Do you ever attempt to smooth things over only to realize it was a mistake? Well, that's where I'm at. I don't want to get into details. I just wonder how you find peace in spite of messy endings. Sure, one can say "I made a mistake." But it just feels icky and like I should have just stuck to my guns. Can anyone else relate?

Let me respond to you based on my personal experience and in a general way since you do withhold the details. And please remember that I'm just trying to be helpful.

Sure I can relate.
That usually happens when one gives in to a principle for the sake of peace and harmony and it only serves to convince the other person who was probably the troublemaker that one deserved exactly what one got-an injustice. It also happens when a person to whom one apologizes is vindictive by nature and will not rest until the score is evened. Some people can hold grudges for decades and spring the revenge when you least expect it since they have never forgotten nor forgiven. How can you find peace with such persons? You can't. You either grit your teeth and bear it or terminate the relationship and seek someone else. Unfortunately that's easier said than done. Especially when strong family ties are involved. So it can pose a very serious dillema.

BTW
When viewed unemotionally and objectively, there is really nothing romantic nor friendly or even familial about such people.
But then again your situation might not fall into the categories that I just described. However, if it does, which I suspect is very likely based on what I know of human nature, then the advice would be useful in your case.

Peace and God bless!

Last edited by Radrook; 06-18-2011 at 02:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships