Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 05:44 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh my!

I am a very nice person and likely much older than you....my feelings are deeply hurt to see your posts and I think you should apologize.

AND: don't do it again, buddy-boy, or you will be in for it!

YOU do not want to be on my BAD side.

gbh

I deeply apologize, if I offended anyone..

I merely meant to state my own personal observations, and experience, thus far in life, in the area where I'm at. I acknowledge, that in itself is a mere microcosm of the rest of the country, and of the world, for that matter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 06:01 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I didn't necessarily mean that "older" = "elderly".

"Older" could potentially mean = 25+.

A person, when s/he is say 18-20, may have a kind of niceness about them, that is simply not present in someone who is say 27.
Good grief! If older to you is 25, what are you, 12?

Quote:
Please trust me on this...it's simply not the case, here in D.C...

Maybe it's a regional thing (I've been pushing almost 15 or so years, here in D.C. already)?
Oh great, now you are dismissing my 60 years of knowledge, life experience, and a tremendous amount of education to boot AND I should trust your observations? You are 15??? Child, I have a callous more than double your age.

Quote:
I can only assume that you live in a much nicer place than D.C., then?

I'm sorry, but places like D.C., NYC, and similar locations are simply *not* conducive to bringing out the "nice" human personality trait...

So now you are city-bashing! I live in NYC. I grew up in the NYC metro area. DC people are not less nice than others, they just have to put up with more arrogant and rude younguns who weren't taught or refused to learn basic manners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I have found that to be totally untrue. I worked as a grocery store cashiere and the most impatient rude people were usually women 20's to 40's. Older people were more often a pleasure to wait on.
So, OP, now we know the rest of the story: you are a child complaining about "older ppl", not older people. And you want us to trust your observations: your limited observations. Limited by number of years you've been observing; limited to one very small geographic area; limited to a small segment of this country: and you want us to take your universal observation as truth in order to answer the "why" part of your question.

Fact is, as I said on page one, your observations and conclusions are faulty. Your question, as posed, is unanswerable due to its fallaciousness (that word is in a dictionary) and to the lack of initial definition of older and to the lack of ppl being a word.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:14 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
On topic;
I think it comes from realizing that as fast as you are nice to someone they'll try to see if they can use you for a doormat, and everything sierrAZ listed on page 1.

I used to be the kind of guy who'll go out of my way to help people with whatever I was able to, I think I still was 2 or 3 years ago, but now people around me would probably think of me pretty soon when thinking about top 5 a-holes they know.
What happened?
I realized I'll get nothing but **** and **** back.
But are you (or were you) doing nice things for others just to get a positive feedback?

I've always been the "help others" type of personality, and I can be shat upon a couple of times before I stop - but then I simply move on to helping someone else.

No expectations, no disappointments.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:24 PM

These are all your words, not mine Kindly do not speak for me, OK?

Geez lady, haven't you ever heard of the term "agree, to disagree"? You may not agree with me, and you're entitled to your opinion, but ya know, you don't have to bash and hate (and insinuate...wow; that rhymes!!), either...

ETA: and just b/c you're "older", doesn't make you "better than" or "superior" to me, either...for the record...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post

Oh great, now you are dismissing my 60 years of knowledge, life experience, and a tremendous amount of education to boot AND I should trust your observations? You are 15??? Child, I have a callous more than double your age.

So now you are city-bashing! I live in NYC. I grew up in the NYC metro area. DC people are not less nice than others, they just have to put up with more arrogant and rude younguns who weren't taught or refused to learn basic manners.

So, OP, now we know the rest of the story: you are a child complaining about "older ppl", not older people. And you want us to trust your observations: your limited observations. Limited by number of years you've been observing; limited to one very small geographic area; limited to a small segment of this country: and you want us to take your universal observation as truth in order to answer the "why" part of your question.

Fact is, as I said on page one, your observations and conclusions are faulty. Your question, as posed, is unanswerable due to its fallaciousness (that word is in a dictionary) and to the lack of initial definition of older and to the lack of ppl being a word.

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 06-23-2011 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Edits

Old 06-23-2011, 06:35 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Grumpiness and bitterness are people with blinders on, only seeing the negative side. Or having a rough life that just never did improve. Disappointments, unexpected deaths, stress, money problems and so forth. Trying to take a negative into a positive. Being poor showed you how to save and appreciate money. Big stress like a flood makes you understand not to fret over petty stuff. When one dies who you loved, it makes you appreciate more of the living around you and never know if they will always be there.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:36 PM

I love it, how some "people" like to resort to character assassination, put downs, and innuendo, when they merely don't happen to agree with someone who dares to voice a dissenting opinion...

ETA: I am over 30, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post

Old 06-23-2011, 06:40 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
ETA: I am over 30, btw.
Your posts seem much younger and more immature than what I would expect from a man your age, especially from someone living in a big city.

Normally people get some sort of 'edge', a certain sophistication and worldliness.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:45 PM

[Deleted post entry (misunderstanding)]

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 06-23-2011 at 07:56 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 06:52 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
OK...and you're well-known for being a really nice and sweet person too, Djuna

I'm sorry, but attacking me personally is not gonna get you anywhere...I will use the "Ignore" feature, if need be

I have a right to my opinion...you have a right to yours...but you have no right, to silence me, either.

It's called "freedom of speech"...

She actually is a nice person.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
What causes ppl to (tend to) become less kind, as they get older? I'm definitely not saying *all* ppl become meaner with age, just that one thing I have definitely noticed over the years is that as a person ages, the levels of basic kindness in regular interactions with others usually plummets, across the board. Some of the very meanest ppl I've come across, have been in their later years. Why does age tend to make ppl's basic levels of compassion and positive emotional expression of things like love, kindness, and affection, harden and become much more inhibited and repressed?
Actually Knight2009 people don't become less kind when they age ....the way it really works is if you were kind when you were young...you get more kind, and mellow as you age.......If you were mean when you were young...you get meaner with age....Age really doesn't play in what kind of person you really are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships