Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 04:44 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
It's not so much that "time heals all wounds." It all depends on how you spend that time.
Agreed and I think it's also a simple matter of getting used to a new situation. Only time allows that. You get used to not having a person in your life any more. You're forced to, over time, develop a new normal. For folk that cannot do that, well, that's more difficult and it depends on the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 06:56 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,690 times
Thanks for the mostly helpful replies.

He never cheated - but I almost wish he had cuz it would be so much easier to hate him.

I am moving on and staying busy and trying new things - but it's hard when this came out of nowhere. Now all the plans we had come and go and I remember that we were supposed to be doing things together. Rejection sucks. But I'm far too awesome to pine over a guy that doesn't want me...at least for too long. He'll regret it someday...

Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
...and all that. But what if time won't heal this wound?

The backstory: I was dating a guy for a year - he is moving to a new city an hour away in about a month but we had talked and he wanted me to go with - and I wanted to go with. We had talked about the future, finances, and the logistics. I thought he was the one (still do).

About 3 weeks ago, he dumps me. Apparently we are too different...but the only reasons I got were our music and car choices. He doesn't think I"ll be happy long term. (I'm aware this means he doesn't think he'll be happy).

So now, 3 weeks after the fact, I still think he made a mistake. I am not delusional enough to think he'll change his mind. And I'm not sure I want him to, because who wants someone who doesn't want them back? But I really think he was wrong. My question for myself in relationships is this: Will I always wonder if there is someone better out there for me? And with him, the answer was no. No, he wasn't perfect, but I loved him for his flaws, not despite them.

What if he's the one that got away (or just didn't want me)? Will time really heal that wound?

Yes time does heal all wounds...love yourself first...never settle...he had to leave so someone better can take his place..
Keep yourself active..remember we cant depend on someone to make us happy..happiness comes from within...

Old 06-28-2011, 07:26 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
I think of it as two separate questions:

Will you ever get over him? Yes.

Does time heal all wounds? No. Even when the day comes that you are completely over him (and that day will come), you might still have some pain from the breakup and the rejection.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
About 3 weeks ago, he dumps me. Apparently we are too different...but the only reasons I got were our music and car choices. He doesn't think I"ll be happy long term. (I'm aware this means he doesn't think he'll be happy).

So now, 3 weeks after the fact, I still think he made a mistake. I am not delusional enough to think he'll change his mind. And I'm not sure I want him to, because who wants someone who doesn't want them back? But I really think he was wrong. My question for myself in relationships is this: Will I always wonder if there is someone better out there for me? And with him, the answer was no. No, he wasn't perfect, but I loved him for his flaws, not despite them.

What if he's the one that got away (or just didn't want me)? Will time really heal that wound?
Yes, I think it will. The issue here is that you haven't really allowed "time" to do much of anything at all. That's not your fault, of course, this is just too fresh. You dated for a year and your feelings were strong. I don't expect it would feel better after just three weeks. Probably after a few more, you'll start to notice it hurts less, and then it will gradually fade away.

One thing that's important to remember is that the healing is not going to start until you go no-contact with him. So if you are still texting, talking, on Facebook, whatever, you haven't even started yet. Having that daily reminder of him doesn't help your brain to move on, nor your world to become about you instead of being wrapped up in him.

As far as the excuses he gave, often it's hard to quantify exactly why someone is wrong for you. You know they aren't what you want, but if they are a close-but-not-quite match then it may be hard to define why. For almost-matches, it's common this comes up at about a year, when you're on the verge of making a deeper commitment. I'm very sorry. I know this hurts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships