Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 05:18 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, it's been awhile (a long while) since I've posted in this section...I've been thinking long & hard about it & I think I'm going to give up on dating for awhile...I'm a little discouraged so I think I'm just going to do things I like (w/ friends & by myself) & do a lot of self-improvement. At first, I thought: I'm 22 & I turn 23 next month. It's not that I'm on the prowl to be married yet but I feel like I haven't had much success in the "male" department. I guess it's been difficult to meet guys when you're not in college anymore. (welcome to the Real World I guess)

Is it me? I don't think I'm too picky. All I'd like is someone who I can talk to and have fun with. Someone who I genuinely have a connection with. I used to be one of those girls to have a "list", well I did away with that also. If it takes me 20 years to find that person, so be it.. I just hope it comes sooner than that.

To be quite honest, I feel humbled by everything that I've experienced in the past year since graduating from college, especially now that I'm working & paying taxes & all that "grownup stuff" lol. In the end, I think that taking a break from dating will be good, though I still feel a little lonely from time to time. But that lonely feeling is normal...right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:45 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,926,814 times
Do you have trouble meeting guys, making a connection after meeting? or both. Did you have success in college and highschool?

I dont think you need to put yourself in a hiatus but you can stop pressuring yourself. SOmetimes youll meet a guy when you least expect it.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:06 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Why do you feel lonely if you are not dating? I have had as much if not more fun just out with my girlfriends doing what we like. Dating doesn't have to be 24/7. When you meet someone who really interests you, enjoy getting to know him but don't fail to cultivate other friendships, both male and female as they will make you richer. You know yourself best but after college and the first year on a new job, just be good to yourself and enjoy your accomplishments. Marriage can be a long, long, long time and this stage of your life will be much shorter. I am so glad I had my hiatus time as it helped me grow and stand on my own two feet much better than if I was always tethered to someone else. The more interesting you become, the easier it will be to meet the right one.

As to the list thing, we all need to know ourselves well enough to have a flexible list. Not flexible when it comes honesty and integrity but flexible when it comes to the small stuff, like which end of the toothpaste tube to squeeze. For me, I had a sense of humor high on my list and it is needed when it comes to keeping a relationship together. At times I take the world too seriously and really need someone to remind me to laugh and keep it perspective.

Just take care of yourself first and the rest will come. Best wishes and good luck.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhe33 View Post
Do you have trouble meeting guys, making a connection after meeting? or both. Did you have success in college and highschool?

I dont think you need to put yourself in a hiatus but you can stop pressuring yourself. SOmetimes youll meet a guy when you least expect it.
Actually, no. I don't have problems meeting guys, but I guess it's just the "quality" I'm meeting versus the quantity. There is quantity, but not so much quality. Hope that made sense.

& to Heidi, thanks for the advice

Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 PM

30,995 posts, read 22,045,160 times
You are extremely young and have all the time in the world. No worries!

Old 06-28-2011, 06:33 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Hi everyone, it's been awhile (a long while) since I've posted in this section...I've been thinking long & hard about it & I think I'm going to give up on dating for awhile...I'm a little discouraged so I think I'm just going to do things I like (w/ friends & by myself) & do a lot of self-improvement. At first, I thought: I'm 22 & I turn 23 next month. It's not that I'm on the prowl to be married yet but I feel like I haven't had much success in the "male" department. I guess it's been difficult to meet guys when you're not in college anymore. (welcome to the Real World I guess)

Is it me? I don't think I'm too picky. All I'd like is someone who I can talk to and have fun with. Someone who I genuinely have a connection with. I used to be one of those girls to have a "list", well I did away with that also. If it takes me 20 years to find that person, so be it.. I just hope it comes sooner than that.

To be quite honest, I feel humbled by everything that I've experienced in the past year since graduating from college, especially now that I'm working & paying taxes & all that "grownup stuff" lol. In the end, I think that taking a break from dating will be good, though I still feel a little lonely from time to time. But that lonely feeling is normal...right?

Your experience is pretty normal, as are your feelings of being lonely

Honestly, all you need to do is live your life to the fullest, and things will work out best for you over time.

Get/stay physically active and get involved in things at your job and in your community. Take the focus off of yourself, put in on other people or projects that need more attention and you'll be surprised how much better you feel

Old 06-28-2011, 06:43 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
It's a rude awakening that so many people are self-absorbed and boorish ninnyhammers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post

Old 06-28-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It's a rude awakening that so many people are self-absorbed and boorish ninnyhammers.
I really don't get this...but okay.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:19 PM

30,995 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What a ninnyhammer? Is that smaller than a regular hammer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships