Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:59 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times

Advertisements

Let me explain how friends with benefits work for those of who don't understand.

You don't CHOOSE someone to be your FWB who is relationship material. For example, I'm in the process of setting up a friends with benefits with a 20 year old female who likes to party on the weekends and get drunk. I would never set up a FWB with a woman who is 29-32 who is intelligent, attractive, ambitious, and sense a humor.

So the FWB can be successful if the person is relationship materil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 12:54 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Let me explain how friends with benefits work for those of who don't understand.

You don't CHOOSE someone to be your FWB who is relationship material. For example, I'm in the process of setting up a friends with benefits with a 20 year old female who likes to party on the weekends and get drunk. I would never set up a FWB with a woman who is 29-32 who is intelligent, attractive, ambitious, and sense a humor.

So the FWB can be successful if the person is relationship materil.
Exactly. I had a lot of fun with my former FWBs. They were all probably alcoholics, previously divorced because they were irresponsible and unlikely to ever grow up, and they would make terrible husbands/serious significant others. Basically, they were just versions of my ex-husband, who probably should have just been an FWB in the first place now that I think of it, but I was young and stupid when I met him and married him without realizing that he would always be that way.

You get too soon old and too late schmart.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:34 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
I guess what I've considered a FWB is a girl I call up when I'm drunk, meet up, and have sex.

If it were an actual friend that I spent time with and shared a group of mutual friends with, then people would probably know what we're doing and it would be drama/awkward. That's why it doesn't usually work unless it's in total secret.
I would describe that form of relationship as a booty call relationship, not a friend with benefits relationship. In my opinion, booty call relationships tend to be more about convenience than about compatibility.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:04 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
I would describe that form of relationship as a booty call relationship, not a friend with benefits relationship. In my opinion, booty call relationships tend to be more about convenience than about compatibility.
Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:06 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,542 times
Stereotyping relationships in modern times doesn't help clarify or resolve any issues.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:27 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,619,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Stereotyping relationships in modern times doesn't help clarify or resolve any issues.
But it's SO much fun, especially on certain forums ...

Old 07-01-2011, 05:12 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Can someone explain how one has sex without any emotional intimacy? I just cannot imagine myself actually having sex with any of the girls I've been just friends with. Seems like a line you cross only when you're in a relationship to me.
It's easy. 2 people that think each other is cute and want to have sex with each other.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:41 AM

24 posts, read 26,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttk View Post
It works... Until one person becomes emotionally attached and the other uses them.
what if both become emotionally attached? is it a relationship then? a committed one?

Old 08-11-2014, 12:09 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,720,749 times
When i was younger, the FWB idea didn't exist. I traveled in a mixed sex group of friends, where nothing was forbidden; nothing was secret, and we all remained "close" until we moved away or got married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships