Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:11 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,065 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who's gf just started to work a few nights a week, he works 9-5. So he told me that he's trolling craigslist at night just to "check it out." He communicates with the women as if he will get with them and then stops replying to emails after talk gets to meeting up. He says he would never meet up with any of them because he loves his girl, etc etc. Where's the line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 02:13 PM

538 posts, read 1,521,332 times
Sounds like he is bored and needs a hobby.

I wouldn't consider it cheating, but it's only the first step in that direction.

Obviously something is up if he chooses to do that vs. something more productive, like going on a walk...

Old 06-29-2011, 02:14 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times
If he's married it's a problem. Legal commitment to a family/wife, maybe they're flirting with the idea of cheating should the occasion arise.

If he's single, it's not a problem. No legal commitment, only has a girlfriend, not cheating.

Period.

There's also no "thought police" anything that doesn't involve an actual meeting isn't cheating if they're only thinking about it.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:16 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I have a friend who's gf just started to work a few nights a week, he works 9-5. So he told me that he's trolling craigslist at night just to "check it out." He communicates with the women as if he will get with them and then stops replying to emails after talk gets to meeting up. He says he would never meet up with any of them because he loves his girl, etc etc. Where's the line?

He's a cheater...

Old 06-29-2011, 02:16 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,098,842 times
Well, as my favorite shrink Buddy Rydell might say, while what your friend is doing may not technically be defined as cheating, it's certainly looks to be "cheating's ugly cousin."

Old 06-29-2011, 02:17 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,262,835 times
The line is how his girlfriend would feel about it. Not whether there is a legal commitment, not whether he would actually sleep with the women, but whether his girlfriend would be upset by his actions and see them as a betrayal.

The next time your friend talks to you about this, ask him whether his girlfriend knows about it and how she would feel. Then ask him how he would feel if she did the same.

Frankly, I think he's a scuzzbag for doing that.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:19 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,065 times
Not married, they live together and plan to get married evenutally. He does all that stuff, goes to the gym after work (we meet up there a few days a week for spin class), then does some food shopping, cooking etc then says he gets bored. He doesn't watch tv or play video games. I myself go both ways on this, on the one side he's not doing anything, on the other side, how long before he does do something??

Old 06-29-2011, 02:19 PM

538 posts, read 1,521,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
If he's married it's a problem. Legal commitment to a family/wife, maybe they're flirting with the idea of cheating should the occasion arise.

If he's single, it's not a problem. No legal commitment, only has a girlfriend, not cheating.
This makes absolutely no sense.

People/relationships don't matter if there is no legal commitment? So, arranged marriages for all?

Old 06-29-2011, 02:20 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
The line is how his girlfriend would feel about it. Not whether there is a legal commitment, not whether he would actually sleep with the women, but whether his girlfriend would be upset by his actions and see them as a betrayal.

The next time your friend talks to you about this, ask him whether his girlfriend knows about it and how she would feel. Then ask him how he would feel if she did the same.

Frankly, I think he's a scuzzbag for doing that.
He's not considering her feelings in the first place if he's trolling websites and flirting around. If he considered how she'd feel he wouldn't be looking would he?

Obviously he doesn't care.

Is cheating the physical act of meeting someone outside of a relationship, or simply talking to someone flirting around on the web?

If they're married and contemplating hooking up with someone that's considered a prelude to cheating and that's infidelity. Legally.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:21 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
I'd say there is a line and that he's already crossed it. But that's just me. Looking at Craiglist for women is bad enough by itself if you are in a relationship. Contacting the women is even worse. I'd get out while I still could!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships