Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:20 AM

262 posts, read 651,337 times

Advertisements

I'm not normal. Really. I'm not.

Additional Information is in RED. You can choose to skip this and read the black font after the red print.

These are the characteristics that I carry:
  • I haven't truly hungout with a friend since Middle School.
  • I haven't hungout with a group of friends since Elementary School.
  • I obviously don't have any friends now. (I am in my 20's now)
  • I don't have any, ANY pictures to show of my youth besides the years when I was 7 and under. (Yes, this includes Prom, High School graduation, "Fun" summers I've had-none.)
  • I'm obviously a virgin. (I try my best to deny or hide this)
  • I have a hard time connecting with people, especially men, ESPECIALLY the men I like. Oy-Vey.
  • I don't talk that much generally speaking. I guess I may talk if I feel comfortable around the guy and have known him for a bit but that rarely happens so...
Sane Characteristics that may save me:
  • I consider myself indepedent.
  • I am open-minded (This may seem contradicting consider previous statements)
  • I don't really drink that much
  • I respect myself and those around me
  • Very Considerate
  • Creative Mind--Artistically speaking.
  • Enjoy humor.
  • Love to laugh
Characteristics that will Break me

I just don't know how to socialize well...

I don't want a guy to think I'm normal and then realize how weird I truly am after being around me. I can't afford to further smash my own ego. How do I imply that I am weird without coming off as completely insane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 10:32 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,958 times
A lot of these are issues that could be addressed now. Many people wouldn't care so much about a past issue that had been addressed and no longer hindered you. They would care much more if you weren't addressing it, and were allowing it to be "baggage" that you carry.

Have you tried therapy? For how long? What groups have you joined to try to make new friends?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:56 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
You just sound like an anti-social virgin. Not really that weird other than having zero friends. I think you should go to therapy for that too. Find a healthy middle ground. Not everyone has to socialize in the same way but you should not be absolutely alone. Its not emotionally healthy,

Old 06-30-2011, 11:13 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,760,530 times
Awww...I think you're way too hard on yourself

Love yourself first Rose Then focus on trying to convince others, to love you more

ETA: h886 also has some great points...

Old 06-30-2011, 11:54 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Sometimes when people dwell on personal qualities that they consider to be very negative it tends to take on a life of it's own and an individual may end up exaggerating the significance of their perceived imperfection. I have a feeling you might be doing this without realizing it. First off I think it's a mistake to even consider what your OP is suggesting, in other words, telling a guy that there's something not quite right about you. If you have reinforced certain negative behaviors you can certainly reinforce positive ones as well because it's just your own patterns of thinking that are causing this in the first place. I would suggest that you start taking chances and begin engaging in behaviors that may seem uncomfortable or risky at first but in fact are likely to become new habits that will benefit your self image and your life because they'll make it better. It won't happen all at once but if you make a concerted effort to come out of your shell and comfort zone in an effort to communicate and get close to other people and then discover it actually is working I believe it can be done. You're still young and developing emotionally which is in your favor and self confidence tends to build upon itself if you'll let it. Good luck.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:14 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beilua Rose View Post
I'm not normal. Really. I'm not.

Additional Information is in RED. You can choose to skip this and read the black font after the red print.

These are the characteristics that I carry:
[list][*]I haven't truly hungout with a friend since Middle School.[*]I haven't hungout with a group of friends since Elementary School. [*]I obviously don't have any friends now. (I am in my 20's now)[*]I don't have any, ANY pictures to show of my youth besides the years when I was 7 and under. (Yes, this includes Prom, High School graduation, "Fun" summers I've had-none.)[*]I'm obviously a virgin. (I try my best to deny or hide this)[*]I have a hard time connecting with people, especially men, ESPECIALLY the men I like. Oy-Vey.[*]I don't talk that much generally speaking. I guess I may talk if I feel comfortable around the guy and have known him for a bit but that rarely happens so...
So to sum up, you're kind of socially awkward, not a big talker, and don't know how to get close to people? I don't think you're actually as weird as you think you are - a lot of people suffer from social anxiety disorders and your problem may not even be that severe. But if you really feel like it's negatively impacting your life, you should speak to a therapist.

I don't think you need to worry about letting a guy know about your social difficulties. He'll probably notice it himself early on. I think you sound like a pretty normal person on the inside so there's no reason to warn him about that... it's your "outside" self which is having problems and he will recognize that from the start.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:21 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
I wouldn't say you ate "weird". Maybe socially awkward or shy or whatever. No big deal.

I'm with you on the picture thing

Old 06-30-2011, 12:22 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
There is probably some guy out there looking for a girl just like you...take some of your qualities and embrace them. Some things you can do is try to go out some...you said you are open-minded...can you be open minded to go out for a little adventure and this can be something simple as joining others at a book club event, a social party after work or go out to places where you might meet people in your age range. Just some thoughts.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:35 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,244 times
Wait to you get out there and find out what weird really is..

We are all weird, which means that none of us are..

I think you're just experiencing fear, but take heart. If you weren't afraid it would mean that you were unaware, and therefore in danger..

You don't sound especially weird to me at all.. just apprehensive..

Old 06-30-2011, 12:37 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,132 times
Make a penis joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships