U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 09:22 AM

2,788 posts, read 4,652,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Well, he's still short...lol

I agree 5'8" or 5'9"..isnt tall....so I have no idea why he even got the surgery.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-01-2011, 09:22 AM

142 posts, read 290,818 times
5'9 isn't TALL, it is JUST ABOUT AVERAGE for a man in the U.S. I see just about as many people taller than me as I do shorter than me just about everywhere I go. I blend in and it feels grrrrrrreat!

Last edited by Ooga Booga; 07-01-2011 at 09:34 AM..

Old 07-01-2011, 09:26 AM

12,589 posts, read 14,790,161 times
Default It's been a year since I had leg lengthening. Now I have to fight the babes off.

Please tell me I am not the only person who came on this thread thinking he had something else extended?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:28 AM

2,788 posts, read 4,652,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Please tell me I am not the only person who came on this thread thinking he had something else extended?

lol..I thought the same thing too...

Old 07-01-2011, 09:34 AM

5'9 isn't TALL, it is JUST ABOUT AVERAGE, and it isn't short enough to be DISCRIMINATED against. If you're average, tall, or are a woman who isn't considerably under average, then you most likely DON'T GET IT Those who pay close attention do. 5'6 to 5'9 is NIGHT AND DAY. One guy on my floor was going from 5'7 to 5'10. The Australian Politician Hajinal Ban went from roughly 5ft to 5ft4. Day to day, in the workplace, in the business world, height is a big freaking deal. This has been well documented for over 4 decades already. Those who are noticeably short (and when I say noticably, I don't mean UNDER 6ft, or 5ft 3 for a woman or something, but WELL BELOW AVERAGE), will pick up fairly quickly how they are approached and dealt with differently.

I was in denial about this for most of my 20s. Sure there are worst things, but women who are born with A and B sized bras don't have it that bad, but many jump in and get implants. Implants are the highest revenue generating plastic surgery for women in this country, and 99% of them don't need them. HEIGHT for men DOES translate for more romantic success and possibilities, and more respect from others in general. It's all psychological! I remember being talked down to a lot at previous jobs. Once an employer even told me flat out he couldn't envision me as a manager, and picked some taller dope to promote who wasn't nearly as qualified. Even had one colleague stop herself mid sentence and apologize for talking down to me like I was one of her kids! HEIGHT HEIGHT HEIGHT!!!!

This happens more often than you think! Read between the lines! and with JustJulia's permission, I can post a zillion links proving it. Thing is, I didn't need any of the links, I lived it daily!

Old 07-01-2011, 09:38 AM

645 posts, read 905,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooga Booga View Post
I had Leg Lengthening about a year and a half ago. I was 28, and was frustrated at my natural height of 5'6. It is no secret that women prefer taller men and that shorter people are generally not taken seriously. I hopped on a flight to Kurgan, Russia, had a consultation with doctors, and then spent $26,000 to have my legs cut, bones stretched apart, consolidate and then harden. I now stand at close to 5'9 (but say 5'8).

This difference in height of going from below average to average is like night and day. Women smile at me more when I am out and about, people, men and women approach me differently with first impression and while I am not tall, I generally feel as though I get more respect. I can walk, have no pains (anymore), and life is back to normal. I go back to Russia in two months to have the internal rods taken out, and my scars are virtually invisble. My proportions are great because pre surgery, my arms were slightly longer naturally (by about 2.5 cm).

While I do not recommend this surgery, I met many Americans (male and female) there who were there for the same procedure. While I had the company of international patients who spoke English, beautiful russian women, and of course my laptop and x-box, this whole experience is something I will never forget, and has done nothing but good for me.

While rejection is imminent, I rarely get rejected because of height off the bat anymore, women don't take attitudes when I approach them (like in a nightclub), my overall quality of life has improved.

Congrats on getting longer stilts - but what about the kickstand?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:39 AM

330 posts, read 537,176 times
I would be happy just to be 5'6 !!! (I am 5'4)

Old 07-01-2011, 09:42 AM

Screw the kickstand. Like someone said on a YouTube video once, I would rather be a 6' guy with a 5 incher than a 5'3 guy with a 9 incher. Put both of those guys in a nightclub, a concert, a play or an art gallery. Which one of those two is most likely to get attention if they're both "confident" (lol), outgoing, smell good, dress well, are athletic, good looking and both have good jobs......... Lol. You already know the answer.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:50 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,676,724 times
I think the OP has a point. But it is not something you'd ever notice if you're average. You'd need to either be short yourself, or try living in countries with an appreciable difference in average height.

Moving from a country with a tall average to a short one, or the other way around can make a significant difference. Unless you're so far from the mean in height that you still stay on the fringes.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:50 AM

1,410 posts, read 1,931,606 times
There is a huge risk of ending up crippled from such an operation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.