U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-02-2011, 09:15 PM
 
22,769 posts, read 28,564,067 times
Reputation: 14655

Advertisements

do you fight them off with your cane?
Rate this post positively

 
Old 07-02-2011, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Orlando
8,264 posts, read 12,066,507 times
Reputation: 4121
why not date short women? there are many below 5'6" which would make you taller.
Your process sounds painful and dramatic. some Self acceptance would probably go further easier. but if you like it, I love it.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-02-2011, 11:04 PM
 
1,446 posts, read 3,368,310 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
why not date short women? there are many below 5'6" which would make you taller.
Your process sounds painful and dramatic. some Self acceptance would probably go further easier. but if you like it, I love it.
Thing is, short women like tall guys too. And tall guys like short women.

That's why taller women complain so much.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-03-2011, 01:43 AM
 
1,754 posts, read 2,290,429 times
Reputation: 3664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Thing is, short women like tall guys too. And tall guys like short women.

That's why taller women complain so much.
Then tall women should date short guys. Problem solved.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-03-2011, 03:24 AM
 
142 posts, read 310,865 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Thing is, short women like tall guys too. And tall guys like short women.
Exactly!!! If the majority of short women liked and entertained the idea of being with a short man, short men would have very little to complain about when looking to date and or settle down. Unfortunately it doesn't work this way and has a lot to do with Averages Height is the one thing many women will just not budge on Even Tall women will dip into the Average Men population due to the scarcity of Tall Males (i.e. all of the tall guys going for shorter women), but RARELY dip into the short subset of the male population (i.e. Seeing a 6' woman with a 5'10 guy, not a 6' woman with a 5'3 guy).


Short men are in competition with Average and Tall males, which there are more of


Tall/Good Looking Men > Tall Ugly Men/Average Good Looking Men > Short Men
(Good looking or ugly)

Too many people are using their own individual perspectives and are not being very observant. It's all about averages. A 6ft woman dating a 5'10 guy is NOT the same as a 5'5 woman dating a 5'3 guy (even though at first glance it's the same height difference)!!!!!! There are way too many men who are average, so subconsciously, the 5'5 woman does NOT have to entertain the idea of dating a shorter man to increase her dating pool like the 6' woman might. Shorter guys by default get the raw deal.

Last edited by Ooga Booga; 07-03-2011 at 03:51 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-03-2011, 05:30 AM
 
142 posts, read 310,865 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooga Booga View Post
Exactly!!! If the majority of short women liked and entertained the idea of being with a short man, short men would have very little to complain about when looking to date and or settle down. Unfortunately it doesn't work this way and has a lot to do with Averages Height is the one thing many women will just not budge on Even Tall women will dip into the Average Men population due to the scarcity of Tall Males (i.e. all of the tall guys going for shorter women), but RARELY dip into the short subset of the male population (i.e. Seeing a 6' woman with a 5'10 guy, not a 6' woman with a 5'3 guy).


Short men are in competition with Average and Tall males, which there are more of


Tall/Good Looking Men > Tall Ugly Men/Average Good Looking Men > Short Men
(Good looking or ugly)

Too many people are using their own individual perspectives and are not being very observant. It's all about averages. A 6ft woman dating a 5'10 guy is NOT the same as a 5'5 woman dating a 5'3 guy (even though at first glance it's the same height difference)!!!!!! There are way too many men who are average, so subconsciously, the 5'5 woman does NOT have to entertain the idea of dating a shorter man to increase her dating pool like the 6' woman might. Shorter guys by default get the raw deal.
Also, women do not look at the height of men relative to themselves, but relative to other men. This is why a 4'9 woman would look at a 5'5 guy and still poke fun of him because of his shortness. If she knows there are plenty of 5'9-6'3 men out there, why should she settle?

Once again, this is why shorter men get the raw deal!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-03-2011, 06:45 AM
 
2,688 posts, read 6,951,941 times
Reputation: 4173
Cool hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
I don't believe one bit of this.
me either...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-03-2011, 09:54 AM
 
330 posts, read 556,613 times
Reputation: 398
New Dating Study Promotes Old Gender Stereotypes


URL to article: New Dating Study Promotes Old Gender Stereotypes « SpeakEasy (http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/02/23/the-shallow-end-of-the-dating-pool/ - broken link)



From the Charlotte Observer: “A forthcoming study by a Duke University researcher and several colleagues confirms what not-so-thin women and short, broke men have long suspected: They don’t get nearly as much romantic attention as skinny women and tall, financially secure guys.” You need a study for that? Here, I got a study. It’s called pay my rent, food, and Netflix. Fund that, science people.

The study, out of the University of Chicago, is still under peer review before publication. But here’s what we know: analyzing 22,000 online daters, researchers found that “women put a premium on income and height when deciding which men to contact.” They did the math: the study showed that a 5-foot-9-inch man needs to make $30,000 more than a 5-foot-10-inch one to be as successful in the dating pool.

Yes indeed women want taller men! 5'4" is out of the park - at least for on-line dating! $30,000 MORE for a 5-9 man? So 5 x 30,000 = 150,000!!! So I need to earn at least $150,000 a year to be competitive with on-line dating?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-03-2011, 06:06 PM
 
56 posts, read 156,191 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooga Booga View Post
Darren, those few women can go wherever they please. At 5'9, I'm taller than 75% of women. You can have the other 25% who think 5'9 is too short. 5'9 = some obstacles. My old 5'6 = Forever roadblock.

Here was an interesting height survey done by a bunch of short - average men who underwent leg lengthening as to how they viewed their potential with women (considering they were good looking and stable). Tell me what you think:

5'2 or under: You're out of the game unless you have fame, fortune, or willing to sleep with a morbidly obese woman. No one takes you seriously.

5'3 to 5'6: Most women will reject you immediately based on your height. Get used to fat and ugly women. Most people won't take you seriously.

5'7 to 5'8: Some will consider you if you have a lot going for you: good looks, nice body, good job, etc. Men will respect you if you are a pro fighter or very muscular.

5'9 to 5'11: Average. You are on a level playing field.

6'0 to 6'4: You have a big advantage in life. You have women and respect from men. People listen when you talk.

6'5 and above: Height becomes a slight disadvantage, some women will not date you, people stare at you everywhere you go.
This chart is so true. As a man in the 5'3 to 5'6 category the only women that take notice are the fat one's. I have a profile on a popular dating website and the only one's that contact me are the fat one's.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-03-2011, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,502 posts, read 49,361,728 times
Reputation: 47676
as a 5'10" woman, I am not at all attracted to short men-anything under 6' is short to me. And when I was single, it seems like the shorter men were really attracted to me. I couldn't feel comfortable dancing with them or walking or even lying side by side. It was a real turn off. Men like Mel Gibson, Tom Cruise and other super short men only get women because of their fame and money. Those things can make a man seem taller to a lot of women.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top