Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 07:00 PM

142 posts, read 345,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
as a 5'10" woman, I am not at all attracted to short men-anything under 6' is short to me. And when I was single, it seems like the shorter men were really attracted to me. I couldn't feel comfortable dancing with them or walking or even lying side by side. It was a real turn off. Men like Mel Gibson, Tom Cruise and other super short men only get women because of their fame and money. Those things can make a man seem taller to a lot of women.
I've heard this many, many, many, many times.....

Old 07-03-2011, 07:09 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
as a 5'10" woman, I am not at all attracted to short men-anything under 6' is short to me. And when I was single, it seems like the shorter men were really attracted to me. I couldn't feel comfortable dancing with them or walking or even lying side by side. It was a real turn off. Men like Mel Gibson, Tom Cruise and other super short men only get women because of their fame and money. Those things can make a man seem taller to a lot of women.
Don't knock till you've tried it! Sounds like you've got issues much like the OP. My wife is 5' 10" and I'm 5'7". She doesn't complain about my height at all. When she wears high heels, and she wears them alot...she melts me!

God I love that woman...

Old 07-03-2011, 07:17 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,509 times
5 10 is simply just too tall for me to find attractive.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 PM

56 posts, read 171,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I have. I've said this once elsewhere today: A good face and body are a good face and body. If a man is good-looking, he's going to catch my eye. Whether I stick around is a matter of personality, values, humor, sex, etc. But hotties are hot in all heights.

Don't get me wrong. In my 20s I was a bit hung up on height, at least on paper. But then when it occurred to me that I was saying one thing ("tall"), I was living another ("good face and bod, even if not so tall"), I ditched the height "requirement." Sometimes I think women get caught up in what they are "supposed" to find attractive, or get carried away with a fantasy ideal at the expense of what is actually pretty rockin' good.

The smart ones grow out of it.
So what you are saying is that shorter than average men need to either date cougars who have wised up or shorter than average men will most likely be single until they are older and therefor date older women.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:42 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckyb221 View Post
So what you are saying is that shorter than average men need to either date cougars who have wised up or shorter than average men will most likely be single until they are older and therefor date older women.
There are short guys who are in relationships with young women.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:53 PM

56 posts, read 171,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Rather than going to such lengths to avoid discrimination how about doing something to fight it? Maybe dark skinned people should all bleach their skin too. Caving in to prejudice makes one part of the problem. Scary how everyone wants to look alike these days.
I am glad that you brought up the issue of discrimination. I have been an advocate for shorter than average men and have worked with groups to end the discrimination that shorter than average men face in the workplace and in life. I do this mainly because of the high suicide rate of shorter than average men. The media wont tell you, but the suicide rate of shorter men is almost the same as gay men. You hear about discrimination of homosexuals all the time, but not short statured adults. On the job front almost every state right now has at least one height discrimination case.

Many do not speak out on the issue because they are immediately attacked when they do. Those who speak out are put down and made fun of for having a lack of confidence. They are labeled as having a Napoleon Complex. I have heard it all.

For most shorter than average men it is easier to wear elevator shoes or have limb lengthening done instead of fighting the prejudice and discrimination.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:16 PM

330 posts, read 599,230 times
Maybe I should get that LL surgery done...

Old 07-03-2011, 08:37 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
Your legs?

My ass!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:31 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,680 times
I've read this whole thread.

This guy's lines sound too slick. I think he's an advertiser.

No doubt, being a short man is a disadvantage, both in the workplace and in the dating world.

But it is only a disadvantage, and does not prevent success !

There are many other disadvantages in life. I'm 5'11", and I've never been on more than one date in my life ! Where does that fit in the OP salesman's theory ? There are plenty of homeless people on the street who are above average in height. Where does that fit in the OP salesman's theory ?

At work, I have no idea what height my colleagues are. No clue. Thinking about it in light of this thread, I'm positive that several of them are below average in height, and they're doing just fine. And I've never paid attention to their height. The only guy who's height I've noticed is the guy who's, like 6'5 or 6'6.

One of my favorite movies is My Cousin Vinny. I had no idea Joe Pesci was even short until someone at work pointed that out he is. I watched the movie again, and I said, wow, he really is short. But he did such a good job in that movie that I didn't notice at all until someone pointed it out to me !

Men who are short need to decide whether it is worth the tremendous risk of breaking a leg. When they could just develop great talent, the way Joe Pesci has, and make something of their lives without choosing to take on tremendous pain and unnatural/unnecessary risk. But to each is own.

Oh, and I'm no fan of boob job or nose jobs either. But breaking a leg can't possibly be good for you. It's far more extreme than "traditional" plastic surgeries. It sounds far too risky to consider.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:38 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Ooga! Good for you!!

6 months ago I went through a Gastric Bypass surgery because I was obese and had developed Type 2 Diabetes. I weighed 215 pounds. I just reached my goal by dropping down to 140 pounds and the diabetes is in total remission and I'm off all diabetes medications.

Now that I'm thin and trim, I've started dating again and I look great in clothes. I did it on the advice of my doctors (endocrinologist, cardiologists, etc.) for my health, but the side benefit was having a thin attractive body ... it sure did help my self esteem.

I'm with you, buddy ... life is short, and if you can do something to improve your appearance, go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships