Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:20 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,377,389 times

Advertisements

I prefer a guy that is responsible with whatever amount he is earning. It is a major turn off to see a man dressed in Gucci, driving a Lexus but making a $15 a hour. I was with a guy that made a good income but instead of saving it, he preferred to spend it at the mall every month. Major turn-off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 02:27 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,531,698 times
I live in an area where wages are pretty low, unfortunately.

IMO, you are doing just fine. The important thing is to live within your means, support yourself and be smart with your money.

YouTube - ‪I'm in debt up to my eyeballs...‬‏

Old 07-01-2011, 02:28 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,602,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
Imo, 45k.
How do you arrive at that amount?

I would think a better criteria would be instead of how much does he earn, how does he spend the money. Meaning does he meet his financial obligations, and does he live well within his means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Become skilled at Mig & Tig welding, you will earn more bro.

You could live in Portland, Oregon.
Mig and Tig are great processes. If you are proficient and certified you can work about anywhere and make great money.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:41 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,575,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
The average income for men living in New York City is about $38,000. I think you'll do fine in New York City with your income.
That figure was from almost 12 years ago, and it depends upon a LOT of factors. NYC is both one of the wealthiest counties in the country and poorest, and incomes are the most widely-dispersed - from poverty to billionaire.

I made quite a bit more than the OP in NYC back in the late '70's, but was nowhere near being "well-off". Everything is more expensive there, so any increase in salary is offset by expenses. Take a look at what apartments in Manhattan alone are going for these days - and I used to rent a 6k SF loft in the Village.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:14 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,674,723 times
I think you can earn more than you think you can. But even if you don't, you shouldn't feel inadequate about your income. You're responsible and making an honest living in a trade that is always in demand and can't be outsourced. Sweet!

And besides, plenty of women like blue collar men who are good with their hands. I'd take extra care to keep your hands and nails clean though, or they may not be welcomed everywhere they want to go.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:18 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,118,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I don’t think there is a minimum set number that determines if you are good marriage material or not but pretty much as long as you earn more than the girl you are seeing. Women, generally speaking, are interested in men who are above their level or at the very least their own but not below. And there are exceptions as well of course.
Huh, something else I was just thinking IRT these levels. I'm sorry, but just because a guy is earning 60k and another 40-50k, does not mean the former is higher in level when considering likes with likes. Here's an interesting site that I just glanced, where blue collars are out-earning white collars.

So, for example, do really think a female scientist, any and all female scientists, would prefer a blue collar guy earning 70k over a male scientist earning 50k? With things like looks being equal? I can't imagine that being the case for most women. On that end, I'll say you're wrong.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:26 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,118,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun7 View Post
And this has what to do with this thread, you're imaginary candy land?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
C'mon, man - you MUST know by now that dirty fingernails and the smell of a real working guy turn a LOT of women on ... but I suppose it depends what kind of woman you're looking for.
You're channeling TKramar with the real work thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzSJP View Post
Let's just say it's more than that. Then again, I'm 10 years older than you. You're making a pretty good living for yourself at 20 years old Mr.
One more post that disagrees with Chino's hypothesis. I should poll the question.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:31 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,509,196 times
A man should make enough to take care of himself, without support of family, friends, or roommates. Food, shelter, transportation, and money into savings. It's not how much you make, but that you can live within your means.

Should I also say that a woman should make enough to take care of herself, without support of family, friends, or roommates.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:35 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,575,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You're channeling TKramar with the real work thing.
Sorry, not familiar with that - is that the Kramer from Seinfeld?

Old 07-01-2011, 03:39 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,509,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I don’t think there is a minimum set number that determines if you are good marriage material or not but pretty much as long as you earn more than the girl you are seeing. Women, generally speaking, are interested in men who are above their level or at the very least their own but not below. And there are exceptions as well of course.
Men who are good at what they do and take pride in it are attractive - regardless of the money they make.

I believe that if men focused primarily on being a good person, they would attract the type of women who would appreciate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships