Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 04:39 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,111,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I personally am one of those people who would be happy with a guy earning less as long as he had more education. If he earned less and had the same or less education, I would have a difficult time. Not that the more educated guy is better or nicer, but I can't get past that barrier. Money is not as important.
I agree with most of your post, but I don't get earning less, but the same education as being a problem. If my dh, who has not finished grad school, who earns less than me, provides a benefit to the community within our profession (is on a team that tackles a horrific cancer, or plays a role in the dream of personalized medicine) then it would not make a difference. For me, I give the same leeway to education as I do income. Folk earning less than 100k are pretty much even if they are in the same field with similar education levels. An MS and BS in chem isn't all that different with industry experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 04:39 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,081,199 times
What one earns is relative to their expenses and lifestyle.
ME and my wife live like a king and queen. We have a beautiful 2300 s.f. two-story English Tudor house in a country club community in Austin, TX. We each drive a nice car. We eat whatever we want. All our needs are met. We went on a vacation to Cozumel last month and are going to Italy next month.
Yet:
Between my jobs as a personal trainer and a drums/percussion instructor, I only made about $40K last year. My wife made about the same.
But..in all honesty..I gotta say that it helps tremendously that the shouse was given to us for a song by my parents and we own both our cars and we have no kids! LOL.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:47 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,070,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I used to think that way. Now, I realize that education and intelligence can be mutually exclusive. I'd rather hang out with intelligent or insightful people rather than educated people.
A degree might mean you simply excelled in after class activities. I know one business that if you have attended Syracuse University on your resume they'll toss it. The person in charge of hiring has two reasons, they partied for 4 years, and come out of there thinking they are demigods.

A gentleman graduated from a storied University. He made the winning shot. He made his university rich and famous. He turned his coach from an unknown, to a celebrity overnight. He died in a bus crash this week, he was the bus driver.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:55 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,506,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
To each his own, I guess. But awww you must have fallen in love.
You busted me! Been together over 20 years. He grows more brilliant and fascinating the more I know him.

Glad I broke away from traditional thought.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:25 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,569,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
In jest that's possible, but I'm referring to a previous CD member. He'd go on about real work only being comprised of using muscles. eta: No, any and all muscles, but the brain muscle.
Ohhhhhh, THAT Kramer - OK.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,912,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
And besides, plenty of women like blue collar men who are good with their hands.
That's true, but there are plenty of white-collar guys who are also good with their hands. That's my preference.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:44 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,111,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Ohhhhhh, THAT Kramer - OK.
I'm supposed to be bad with names. All well.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:48 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,099,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's true, but there are plenty of white-collar guys who are also good with their hands. That's my preference.
What about a ring-around-the-white-collar guy?

Old 07-01-2011, 05:50 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,912,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vanderburgh View Post
What about a ring-around-the-white-collar guy?
Not so much!

Old 07-01-2011, 06:09 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,264,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
I'm confused. I read where you said you were married. You also implied you're female, but you have a male symbol.
Where is the male symbol? Am I the artist formerly known as prince?
*crotch check*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships