Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 03:17 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,927,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Yea and if you had said that instead of keeping silent you wouldn't feel the need to vent now. Next time maybe you should speak your mind like a man and save yourself embarrassment.
No. He was right to ignore the stupid comment. It wasn't worth gettting in a fight over.

His venting about it now is harmless. But I agree he shouldn't obsess about it. It wasn't a significant incident, just some fool mouthing off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 03:21 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,927,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
That's what I'm talking about. Wimps talk about it later. "Boy I outta...woulda...shouda...coulda!" Hell dude, I already did it!
I'm a proud wimp. I'd never want to risk getting into a fight because some fool thinks a woman I'm with is incapable of working on a car. And if I were to want to talk about that fool on a message board or to my friends or to my sister later on, there's nothing wrong with that. There's no "coulda..shoulda" here. The OP did everything right. He should have no regrets about not having gotten into a confrontation over something this ridiculous.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:51 PM

12,920 posts, read 13,613,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Yea and if you had said that instead of keeping silent you wouldn't feel the need to vent now. Next time maybe you should speak your mind like a man and save yourself embarrassment.
no , you ignore these types. I can't tell you number of men and boys I know who were shot dead for speaking their mind to a gun toting mama's boy. Where I came from these guys can talk that way to another man only because they carry guns. I had a friend shot dead over who was next in line at the pool table. He would be alive today had he let the guy have his 25 cents. But he spoke his mind to save face.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:53 PM

2,736 posts, read 2,794,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I'm a proud wimp. I'd never want to risk getting into a fight because some fool thinks a woman I'm with is incapable of working on a car. And if I were to want to talk about that fool on a message board or to my friends or to my sister later on, there's nothing wrong with that. There's no "coulda..shoulda" here. The OP did everything right. He should have no regrets about not having gotten into a confrontation over something this ridiculous.
You missed the point. I would have ignored it and not given it a second thought. That's about the most ridiculous thing to get upset about I think I've heard in awhile. Come on guys!

Old 07-03-2011, 04:02 PM

2,736 posts, read 2,794,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
no , you ignore these types. I can't tell you number of men and boys I know who were shot dead for speaking their mind to a gun toting mama's boy. Where I came from these guys can talk that way to another man only because they carry guns. I had a friend shot dead over who was next in line at the pool table. He would be alive today had he let the guy have his 25 cents. But he spoke his mind to save face.
That's ridiculous too. If he wouldn't have been a gangster, that never would have happen. No, it's not wise to engage a CON unless you can take him. They don't think things through before acting. This guy doesn't sound like one of those though. He just saw something that irked him and said something he probably shouldn't have. Don't be supprized if an elderly man would do or did the same thing. Get over it.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:05 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,107,067 times
Trust...that's a straight-up clown move. Since when did men feel the need to play Captain Save 'Em I swear, there's an epidemic of lames among the male community that has reached catastrophic proportions.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:11 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,153,086 times
A guy friend of mine was getting picked on at work once when I was a street performer in Cambridge. He was the sweetest guy. He worked as a living statue. An angel statue. He'd be still in whatever pose for however long, and when a tourist would toss a few bucks in his can he'd begin to move, bow, and thank them. Then he'd go back to a frozen pose. Towards the end of one sat night a few guys, punks that would hang in the pit, were giving him a hard time. He was packing up his gear and ignoring them. It went on for about 5-10 minutes. They kept coming in closer, circling him. I didn't know what was going to happen. Cambridge is typically a safe place.

I was a few yards away in my spot packing up. I was doing spray painting on poster board at the time for tourists. I also happened to be a smoker back then. So, I had a lighter and knew my way around spray paint and I had more than a dozens cans of it. At the end of each painting I'd light up a blaze for the crowd to dry the painting. It was just for theatrics rather than really drying it. The audience always liked it. With these nimrods, one flick of the lighter and spray later they were headed in the other direction.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:53 PM

3,061 posts, read 5,213,175 times
I blame the inordinate degree of value and worth this society gives to men for upholding antiquated notions of chivalry. Unfortunately, in order to win approval points from other women and society at large, many otherwise insecure men would stop at nothing to demonstrate or "prove" his chivalrous nature at the expense of the other man's dignity. One could argue that it is a maturity thing, but I usually see this behavior most from middle-aged and older men, and it is usually directed at younger men.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:09 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,181,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
You missed the point. I would have ignored it and not given it a second thought. That's about the most ridiculous thing to get upset about I think I've heard in awhile. Come on guys!
I have to agree with MR here. Even if you didn't fight back, you are spending way too much time thinking about it. That is the point of doing such a thing, to make you feel inferior.

Honoring your feelings is okay but it should result in a resolution. The guy was trying to embarrass the OP. There was nothing the OP should be embarrassed about. The OP behaves like normal.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:15 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,296,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
There are ways to speak your mind w/o making enemies. obviously if you were in a danger zone you prob shouldn't even be getting out of the car to get gas... and def not be letting your sister go out alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships