Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 01:06 PM

2,736 posts, read 2,797,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
For a faulty outlet---

check with a volt meter to see that current is going to outlet.
Turn OFF outlet circuit breaker.
Check with a volt meter to see that NO current is going to outlet.
R&R (remove & replace) defective outlet. Use the Appropriate replacement OUTlet.

Only use One Hand if you ever touch a HOT Wire...
DON'T Touch anything with your other Hand.
Right handed people are safer. The path of current is further from your heart.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:06 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
I'm a white guy lady! If you don't understand the dangers from what I just posted truly you are CLUELESS!
Then you still fit the stereotypical Middle American misogynist I described and it neither mattered not a whit then nor matters a whit now what color your skin happens to be. YOU posted the You Tube video as reflective of your thoughts. And I really do wish you would stop shouting. I am perfectly capable of reading "clueless" without it being shouted at me.

What "dangers"? We have a very simple issue here about "Do It Yourself". Honestly, I think you're a bit around the bend (google UK expressions if in doubt). If this thread is to continue on an even keel, that is.

With all due respect, a NOT DIYer man just might be an issue for a woman who knows how to do fixes.

I am NOT a DIY woman who knows not her limitations. However, I've learned that when somebody comes to give me an estimate for a job to be done which I either don't have the time to deal with or can't handle myself I know enough to counter-offer. I hate it when someone tries to take advantage of me simply because I'm a female.

Suck on that, Midnight Rambler, and please get off this schtick of yours. I know lots of former Big Bad Guys who did a whole lot of bad stuff back in the day and then changed their lives around. You're not unique. You're just plain angry and neither reading or listening.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:10 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
For a faulty outlet---

check with a volt meter to see that current is going to outlet.
Turn OFF outlet circuit breaker.
Check with a volt meter to see that NO current is going to outlet.
R&R (remove & replace) defective outlet. Use the Appropriate replacement OUTlet.

Only use One Hand if you ever touch a HOT Wire...
DON'T Touch anything with your other Hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I would add, if you didn't have a voltmeter, you could plug in small light or appliance like a clock or something to use as a "check" if the power is off.
And always wear sneakers!

My father was an electrician's mate in the navy in WWII. He had replaced/added a light to our front porch. It wasn't working so he got back up on the ladder to fix/tighten something - pardon my memory - it was nearly 60 years ago. I was always Daddy's little helper and there I was right by his side as (I cannot get this image out of my mind) I watched my Daddy go flying off the ladder and down the hallway straight through the living room and through the kitchen to the back door. He didn't think he needed to turn off the power.

But I did learn - and became paranoid about electricity. I will not permit anyone when I'm around to do any electrical repair or even replace an outlet cover without turning off the MAIN to the house, not the circuit, but the whole danged thing. When I lived in houses with fuses, I taught my boys to err on the side of caution when changing a blown fuse. My husband laughs (gently) at me. He understands my fear but also knows what he does - and he never touches anything without checking the power. He learned to repair historic houses on govt sites. Some of these structures were built in the 1700 and had electricity added later. And some of the old wiring is.......really old. Same with plumbing. But the electrical systems - our own house has circuits that are "labeled" kitchen but include outlets in almost every room; living room has circuits in the kitchen, etc. ALWAYS check.

When I moved in with my husband 13 years ago, I came with my own set of tools - he was impressed - I even had a sink wrench. He was even more impressed when I did work on the car or diagnosed the problems correctly. I no longer, thank heavens, need to replace master cylinders or starter motors.

My ex husband, on the otherhand, was not only not impressed with my skills, he was threatened by it. He even had a nasty voice he used when he called me "Miss FixIt". He hated when I worked on the cars, rebuilt walls, tiled, replaced flooring, etc. Oh well, that was HIS problem.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:13 PM

2,736 posts, read 2,797,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Then you still fit the stereotypical Middle American misogynist I described and it neither mattered not a whit then nor matters a whit now what color your skin happens to be. YOU posted the You Tube video as reflective of your thoughts. And I really do wish you would stop shouting. I am perfectly capable of reading "clueless" without it being shouted at me.

What "dangers"? We have a very simple issue here about "Do It Yourself". Honestly, I think you're a bit around the bend (google UK expressions if in doubt). If this thread is to continue on an even keel, that is.

With all due respect, a NOT DIYer man just might be an issue for a woman who knows how to do fixes.

I am NOT a DIY woman who knows not her limitations. However, I've learned that when somebody comes to give me an estimate for a job to be done which I either don't have the time to deal with or can't handle myself I know enough to counter-offer. I hate it when someone tries to take advantage of me simply because I'm a female.

Suck on that, Midnight Rambler, and please get off this schtick of yours. I know lots of former Big Bad Guys who did a whole lot of bad stuff back in the day and then changed their lives around. You're not unique. You're just plain angry and neither reading or listening.
Well, when you are looking at the scars, sore knees, tore/ruined clothes, blood/sweat/tears and everything else, you don't like being told...."meh, I don't believe you". "You don't really do that." "It's not that difficult"! All this from a bunch of people who don't do it! I think the gals are the ones intimated in this thread personally. You ignore everything and still continue to go after me. It has been spelled out. I'm trying to keep it as calm and civil as possible. I don't need any help. Some of the hornets from the nest in this thread do though. I'm not intimated and won't go away into the clouds. That has to be it. It's too much for many of you to grasp. Someone out there bangs more balls, breaks more glass, and pushes it to the limit more than any other man they know. That I'm sure of. If not, why all the questioning?

Old 07-03-2011, 01:16 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

Ghetto life and culture is nothing to be prideful about. Although, I know it's become a white, middle-class fantasy for some boys. I finally watched the vid, and I'm a bit more clued in than previously. I can say as a person that grew up Jersey, went to school across the river from down town Newark, and needlessly spent time in Harlem as a foolish young person, that it's nothing but gross. My brother is buried about 10 minutes from some of the nastiest places in Newark and I'm forced to drive through it when I go visit his grave. I'm scared shytless just being stopped in my car at a red light. The city should be obliterated from the map. It's the epitome of human degeneracy.

Folk from harsh urban areas want out of the ghetto, not in.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:18 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I do have a couple of volt meters. I need to invest in a professional grade meter. There are so many outlets in my house. Some rooms have 6-8 outlets. I'm convinced the previous owners were growing something here!

Any how, yea. Once I get a better meter I'll tackle it. I always turn off the circuit breaker. Always!

Are the outlets n your rooms 3 prong grounded?

It's a good idea to use GFCI receptacles where applicable. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...249536,00.html

Old 07-03-2011, 01:21 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Something 1 in 1000 MEN have the balls, brains and brawn for. I plead the 5th.
Awesome cop out.

Quote:
I will say, if those fellers don't bother you....you have to be or do something that SCARES them! They also know I'm helping them and risking my bacon for them just by going down there. They don't give me too many problems. They might some in this thread though?
Oh please! No reputable agent of any reputable government agency would either post on a thread such as this or evidence so many problems where basic English language is concerned. Oh, Midnight Rambler, congratulations for being so full of it! Kudos of the week for having fooled so many for so long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Where are all the guys who agree with MR?
Lurking in cyberspace waiting to latch onto a thread he's subscribed to ...

Quote:
Right handed people are safer. The path of current is further from your heart.
Brilliant! Brilliant!

Old 07-03-2011, 01:21 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
Quote:
Well, when you are looking at the scars, sore knees, tore/ruined clothes, blood/sweat/tears and everything else, you don't like being told...."meh, I don't believe you". "You don't really do that." "It's not that difficult"! All this from a bunch of people who don't do it!
What you posted here is pretty much what most people on this thread is against. You are arguing about something completely different and that is okay. You just have to do it alone.

A person who tells you things like "Its not that difficult" is a jerk. Nobody is going to disagree with you here and nobody has told you these words about your occupation because nobody knows what you do. We are talking about changing a belt on a dryer for crying out loud.

Last edited by crisan; 07-03-2011 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-03-2011, 01:22 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
And always wear sneakers!

My father was an electrician's mate in the navy in WWII. He had replaced/added a light to our front porch. It wasn't working so he got back up on the ladder to fix/tighten something - pardon my memory - it was nearly 60 years ago. I was always Daddy's little helper and there I was right by his side as (I cannot get this image out of my mind) I watched my Daddy go flying off the ladder and down the hallway straight through the living room and through the kitchen to the back door. He didn't think he needed to turn off the power.
There you go. It's scary. When I get a light wired up I will turn the power on and test a bulb to see if it's working in order to save myself time in case it doesn't work. If it goes on, I remove the bulb, go back down stairs and turn the power off. Then, go and attach the fixture in place, turn the power back on, and test it.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:24 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Well, when you are looking at the scars, sore knees, tore/ruined clothes, blood/sweat/tears and everything else, you don't like being told...."meh, I don't believe you". "You don't really do that." "It's not that difficult"! All this from a bunch of people who don't do it! I think the gals are the ones intimated in this thread personally. You ignore everything and still continue to go after me. It has been spelled out. I'm trying to keep it as calm and civil as possible. I don't need any help. Some of the hornets from the nest in this thread do though. I'm not intimated and won't go away into the clouds. That has to be it. It's too much for many of you to grasp. Someone out there bangs more balls, breaks more glass, and pushes it to the limit more than any other man they know. That I'm sure of. If not, why all the questioning?
Seriously, the biggest issue here is that you come in, berating and minimizing D-I-Yers. That's everyone's biggest issue with your posts. If indeed you have an "out there" job that few are capable of doing, it's not likely that the average homeowner or D-I-Yer is going to attempt to do something like that anyway. Who CARES if you have an exclusive job? That doesn't mean that you're better at DIY tasks than anyone else here. It does not make you an authority in the matter. It's you, with your unbelievable hysteria and stereotypical prejudices that makes you so unbelievable... and to allude to the fact that all the "guys" here agree with you...haha...laughable and your very own delusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships